Baby bearded dragon limp front legs

87amanda

Original Poster
I need some help. I am very new to bearded dragons. We got one as a pet Nov 3rd this year and he was thriving. He was a voracious cricket eater. He has gone through two sheds already since we got him a month ago. He will not eat greens, like refuses to.
He just finished shedding 5 days ago. Yesterday I noticed he was dragging his right front leg and he was very lethargic. He didn't have much of an appetite for crickets.
He lazed around practically all day in his basking spot and today, both front legs are very limp and he has not ventured far from his basking spot. I took his taller basking spot out of the terrarium so that he didn't fall off and hurt himself. I notice that he lays on his rock with his mouth partly open a lot. I dripped some water on his nose to get him to drink since I thought maybe he was thirsty. Trying to figure out how to get his calcium to him since he is not eating.
Help me figure out if I've done something wrong or what I need to do. Draco has been the most awesome thing to happen to our family lately. We absolutely love this little guy and my heart is broken.

Thank you in advance!

I have had so much varied advice on setup, feeding, what's normal and what's not. I just need to make sure I'm caring for him the best and how he needs.
I've attached a picture of his limp leg as well as my setup. I got this kit:

Zoo Med ReptiHabitat Bearded Dragon Terrarium Kit, 20 Gallon​

Features:
  • ReptiSun 5.0 Compact Fluorescent (5143061 /FS-C5) and 12-inch Naturalistic Terrarium Hood (5148807 /LF-50)
  • Care guide to ensure proper set-up (These two items are compatible in terms of bulb and fixture
  • Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture (5156044 /LF-19), Repti Basking 100w Spot Lamp (1851477/SL-100) and Nocturnal Infrared Heat Lamp (5017595/RS-100)
  • The mini combo fixture is compatible with both of the bulbs listed above. There are two domes intended for the Spot Lamp and Infrared Heat Lamp listed above
  • The mini combo fixture is also compatible with PowerSun 100w (5067714 /PUV-11). This bulb is not included in the kit, but is a trade up alternative to the Spot Lamp mentioned above

Attachments

• Draco_01.jpg
    Draco_01.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Draco_02.jpg
    Draco_02.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 75

87amanda

Original Poster
Ok not sure what's going on here- when you got him was he walking good? Has he tried using the legs in the last few days since you had the uvb?
He was so active and ate crickets like crazy. He seemed totally fine up until Dec 6th. Then he had his right leg folded back like it was paralyzed. I thought he may have fallen from his tall basking spot and hurt it. The next day on the 7th both front legs were weak and folded to his side. He was still eating like normal and his back legs were working just fine.
Within a couple more days he was stiff, wouldn't walk and stopped eating and drinking.
The only swelling is from the right foot that was initially what I thought he injured.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He was so active and ate crickets like crazy. He seemed totally fine up until Dec 6th. Then he had his right leg folded back like it was paralyzed. I thought he may have fallen from his tall basking spot and hurt it. The next day on the 7th both front legs were weak and folded to his side. He was still eating like normal and his back legs were working just fine.
Within a couple more days he was stiff, wouldn't walk and stopped eating and drinking.
The only swelling is from the right foot that was initially what I thought he injured.
Ok wow --- something is off that is for sure-- any improvement at all w/ the moving w/ the legs since the UVB was put in? We need Tracie to weigh in on this shes the vet tech --
@Drache613

87amanda

Original Poster
Ok wow --- something is off that is for sure-- any improvement at all w/ the moving w/ the legs since the UVB was put in? We need Tracie to weigh in on this shes the vet tech --
@Drache613
Even with the new light, he just doesn't want to move at all. If I pick him up he stiffens up so that his whole body, even his tail is stiff. He only ate one cricket today. He had two poos though.
He's just so pitiful.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Even with the new light, he just doesn't want to move at all. If I pick him up he stiffens up so that his whole body, even his tail is stiff. He only ate one cricket today. He had two poos though.
He's just so pitiful.
Oh man I dont know what to tell you -- I have flagged Tracie -- she can help you better than I -- do you have a reptile vet in your area --- I will post a website to find one www.arav.org
If you are in a small town / area type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing. How long has he had the new UVB light over him? His bones & muscles are likely
weak from not having enough UVB. Did you move his basking area lower so that he doesn't
have to climb to bask & get his UVB. Have you started giving him liquid calcium to help his
calcium levels?
If he isn't eating, since hs is so young, you can make him a nutritional slurry for him. Use some
chicken or turkey baby food mixed with squash & sweet potato baby food. Try some bee pollen
or black strap molasses a few days per week to help boost his system & appetite.
Try using a plastic dropper to get more oral fluids into him, too by dropping it onto the end of his
nose.
If you can, keep him a little warmer overnight around 75-80F to help him since he isn't feeling
well.

Tracie

87amanda

Original Poster
Hello,

Poor thing. How long has he had the new UVB light over him? His bones & muscles are likely
weak from not having enough UVB. Did you move his basking area lower so that he doesn't
have to climb to bask & get his UVB. Have you started giving him liquid calcium to help his
calcium levels?
If he isn't eating, since hs is so young, you can make him a nutritional slurry for him. Use some
chicken or turkey baby food mixed with squash & sweet potato baby food. Try some bee pollen
or black strap molasses a few days per week to help boost his system & appetite.
Try using a plastic dropper to get more oral fluids into him, too by dropping it onto the end of his
nose.
If you can, keep him a little warmer overnight around 75-80F to help him since he isn't feeling
well.

Tracie
I've had him under his new uvb all day since we got the new light. He makes no attempt to move to a different location.
I've tried making a nutrition "shake" and putting it in a medicine dropper, but he won't lick if I drop it on his nose, and trying to put it in his mouth is impossible. He clamps his mouth shut.
About the only way he is getting calcium is on the dust of calcium and D3 that I put on the few crickets he'll eat.
I've been feeding the crickets a gut loading food with calcium and vitamins though, so hopefully he's getting something that way too.
I'll try the molasses. I have some that I can try. Do I water it down?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

For the molasses, just a few drops a few times per week. You can mix it with some water to thin
it out. Hopefully that will help with his appetite.
Reptiles do take a little longer to recover so try to be patient. I'm not sure why he hasn't tried to
move much yet but hopefully soon. You can try water therapy for him, to try & get him to swim
around in the water for strengthening.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom