Baby bearded dragon limp front legs

87amanda

Original Poster
I need some help. I am very new to bearded dragons. We got one as a pet Nov 3rd this year and he was thriving. He was a voracious cricket eater. He has gone through two sheds already since we got him a month ago. He will not eat greens, like refuses to.
He just finished shedding 5 days ago. Yesterday I noticed he was dragging his right front leg and he was very lethargic. He didn't have much of an appetite for crickets.
He lazed around practically all day in his basking spot and today, both front legs are very limp and he has not ventured far from his basking spot. I took his taller basking spot out of the terrarium so that he didn't fall off and hurt himself. I notice that he lays on his rock with his mouth partly open a lot. I dripped some water on his nose to get him to drink since I thought maybe he was thirsty. Trying to figure out how to get his calcium to him since he is not eating.
Help me figure out if I've done something wrong or what I need to do. Draco has been the most awesome thing to happen to our family lately. We absolutely love this little guy and my heart is broken.

Thank you in advance!

I have had so much varied advice on setup, feeding, what's normal and what's not. I just need to make sure I'm caring for him the best and how he needs.
I've attached a picture of his limp leg as well as my setup. I got this kit:

Zoo Med ReptiHabitat Bearded Dragon Terrarium Kit, 20 Gallon​

Features:
  • ReptiSun 5.0 Compact Fluorescent (5143061 /FS-C5) and 12-inch Naturalistic Terrarium Hood (5148807 /LF-50)
  • Care guide to ensure proper set-up (These two items are compatible in terms of bulb and fixture
  • Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture (5156044 /LF-19), Repti Basking 100w Spot Lamp (1851477/SL-100) and Nocturnal Infrared Heat Lamp (5017595/RS-100)
  • The mini combo fixture is compatible with both of the bulbs listed above. There are two domes intended for the Spot Lamp and Infrared Heat Lamp listed above
  • The mini combo fixture is also compatible with PowerSun 100w (5067714 /PUV-11). This bulb is not included in the kit, but is a trade up alternative to the Spot Lamp mentioned above

Attachments

• Draco_01.jpg
    Draco_01.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Draco_02.jpg
    Draco_02.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 75

87amanda

Original Poster
Hello,

How is he doing today? He appears a bit more alert if that is him in the picture above.
Has he eaten anything?
As Karrie has suggested, placing the UVB light is very important so that he can get the
maximum UVB exposure that he needs.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Hello, Draco is still very fatigued, not moving much at all and his limbs are very stiff when he army crawls. However, he's having bm's every day and he's allowing me to feed him at least 4 crickets a day sprinkled with calcium and D3. I added to his basking spot so it is about 6 inches from uvb. I am able to pull back the screen on the top to allow no interference with the uvb as well if needed. With the probe thermometer, his basking spot now is 104. Cool side is 76.
Still having a bit of trouble getting him to accept water though. Trying to do the dropper, but he's pretty adamant that he's not going to open up. I'm afraid he will get dehydrated.

Attachments

• PXL_20221211_201643915.jpg
    PXL_20221211_201643915.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20221211_200526913.jpg
    PXL_20221211_200526913.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 53

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, Draco is still very fatigued, not moving much at all and his limbs are very stiff when he army crawls. However, he's having bm's every day and he's allowing me to feed him at least 4 crickets a day sprinkled with calcium and D3. I added to his basking spot so it is about 6 inches from uvb. I am able to pull back the screen on the top to allow no interference with the uvb as well if needed. With the probe thermometer, his basking spot now is 104. Cool side is 76.
Still having a bit of trouble getting him to accept water though. Trying to do the dropper, but he's pretty adamant that he's not going to open up. I'm afraid he will get dehydrated.
How is he getting up on that basking rock?

87amanda

Original Poster
How is he getting up on that basking rock?
I'm putting him up there and staying at the table working beside him while he's up on it. He doesn't move. When I'm going to leave the table, I put him down on the floor of the tank and open the screen so that the uvb can reach him at 12 inches. I've been very worried about him, so I've been watching him like a hawk. I'm really trying so hard to get him feeling better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'm putting him up there and staying at the table working beside him while he's up on it. He doesn't move. When I'm going to leave the table, I put him down on the floor of the tank and open the screen so that the uvb can reach him at 12 inches. I've been very worried about him, so I've been watching him like a hawk. I'm really trying so hard to get him feeling better.
Ok he needs access to that UVB all the time- I would recommend getting some different decor something soft like rolled up dish towels etc so he can get his nails in them to climb or pull him self up - the rocks are not good for what the issue is --

87amanda

Original Poster
Ok he needs access to that UVB all the time- I would recommend getting some different decor something soft like rolled up dish towels etc so he can get his nails in them to climb or pull him self up - the rocks are not good for what the issue is --
Okay, I'll put a washcloth up the sides of the rock. Thank you for the suggestions and help. I really appreciate it.
Do you have any ideas about getting him water?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay, I'll put a washcloth up the sides of the rock. Thank you for the suggestions and help. I really appreciate it.
Do you have any ideas about getting him water?
How are you offering? You can try dropping on his nose see if he will lick - or a eye dropper- if hes not drinking hes not thirsty-- just keep offering every couple of days - if hes eating salads he will get moisture thru them rinse before serving -- he should be eating way more crickets - like 20-25 at one feeding - how many times a day are you feeding?

87amanda

Original Poster
How are you offering? You can try dropping on his nose see if he will lick - or a eye dropper- if hes not drinking hes not thirsty-- just keep offering every couple of days - if hes eating salads he will get moisture thru them rinse before serving -- he should be eating way more crickets - like 20-25 at one feeding - how many times a day are you feeding?
I try throughout the day, at least 3 or 4 times a day. He will accept about 4 or 5 crickets at one feeding then he shuts his eyes and sometimes tries to scoot away. All other feedings he shuts his eyes and won't eat. He won't open his mouth for salad. I've tried the dropper on his nose, I'll just keep trying and maybe he'll open for water soon.
I've tried apple, squash, collard greens, romaine, but he won't eat any of them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today, any improvements?
Do keep trying to get him to eat, hopefully he will start feeling better. Have you been able to
get a new UVB light ordered now for him?
Be sure to try & keep him a little warmer overnight to help boost his system.

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I try throughout the day, at least 3 or 4 times a day. He will accept about 4 or 5 crickets at one feeding then he shuts his eyes and sometimes tries to scoot away. All other feedings he shuts his eyes and won't eat. He won't open his mouth for salad. I've tried the dropper on his nose, I'll just keep trying and maybe he'll open for water soon.
I've tried apple, squash, collard greens, romaine, but he won't eat any of them.
Please order him some BSFL / nutri grubs / phoenix worms / calci worms all the same thing - I would get him some medium ones and use them as lures to his salad bowl - feed first thing for his morning breakfast use as many as you want - they are a great staple feeder - www.symtonbsf.com this place is going to be shutting down for the holidays so do it right away - do not dust them - you will need a bowl similar to this to keep them in it makes a great feeding bowl
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
website for nutrition ignore the kale info its outdated
Nutrition Content
do you have a hygrometer? you want a digital probe one - analogs are usually off --
place probe on the center back wall of your tank - optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70%

87amanda

Original Poster
Hello,

How is he doing today, any improvements?
Do keep trying to get him to eat, hopefully he will start feeling better. Have you been able to
get a new UVB light ordered now for him?
Be sure to try & keep him a little warmer overnight to help boost his system.

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie
Draco is still in the same spot. He doesn't move except to poop, and then he just changes direction so as not to be laying on it.
Yesterday he ate 10 crickets throughout the day, but he will not eat anything that doesn't move. I've tried to get him to eat squash and collard greens by squishing cricket guts on it and misting with water but he ignored it and closes his eyes. I really regret and beat myself up about getting him from PetSmart and listening to their care instructions. Makes me sick.
I did get a new uvb bulb. The reptisun 10 uvb T5 and have the screen pulled back so that the bulb isn't impeded. He stays on his basking rock and doesn't move. All four legs are very weak and floppy.
I tried baby food, putting on his snout, but he just shakes his head. Has no interest.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Draco is still in the same spot. He doesn't move except to poop, and then he just changes direction so as not to be laying on it.
Yesterday he ate 10 crickets throughout the day, but he will not eat anything that doesn't move. I've tried to get him to eat squash and collard greens by squishing cricket guts on it and misting with water but he ignored it and closes his eyes. I really regret and beat myself up about getting him from PetSmart and listening to their care instructions. Makes me sick.
I did get a new uvb bulb. The reptisun 10 uvb T5 and have the screen pulled back so that the bulb isn't impeded. He stays on his basking rock and doesn't move. All four legs are very weak and floppy.
I tried baby food, putting on his snout, but he just shakes his head. Has no interest.
Make sure your distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- he's eating that is a good sign- make sure your keeping him hydrated - drop water on his nose every couple of days see if he will lick or you can use a eye dropper- how long have you had the uvb?

87amanda

Original Poster
Make sure your distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- he's eating that is a good sign- make sure your keeping him hydrated - drop water on his nose every couple of days see if he will lick or you can use a eye dropper- how long have you had the uvb?
I got it setup 5 days ago. He is 7 inches from the uvb unobstructed.

87amanda

Original Poster
That's pretty close I would raise it since he's not able to move - 5 inches please-- are his legs swollen ? Feet?
I will lower his basking spot. I have the light on top of the tank. It's a 20 gallon.
His right foot is a little bit swollen, but not badly mostly the legs look normal, he just has them tucked back..

Attachments

• PXL_20221211_200526913.jpg
    PXL_20221211_200526913.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 51

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will lower his basking spot. I have the light on top of the tank. It's a 20 gallon.
His right foot is a little bit swollen, but not badly mostly the legs look normal, he just has them tucked back..
Ok not sure what's going on here- when you got him was he walking good? Has he tried using the legs in the last few days since you had the uvb?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom