Baby Bearded Dragon Hissing, Pancaking, Etc

Beardie name(s)
Diva
I've had my baby dragon for about a 3 weeks and she doesn't seem to be coming around at all. She's 11 weeks old about. I can only pick her up easily when the lights are out or first thing in the morning when the lights turn on. The minute she thinks she can escape she tries, she wiggles and fights me to get away from me, I try to only put her down when she's not doing that as to not reinforce the behavior but sometimes I have to give in to prevent hurting her or her hurting herself.

I've tried putting her on my chest and kind of holding her there and she stays for a few minutes but I can tell its only until she feels she can make a run for it, she's definitely plotting her escape the whole time.

If I try to handle her middle of the day forget it, she hisses, pancakes, pancakes and angles herself at me, mouth wide open. She's pretty feisty and I'm not sure how to tame her down.

Her appetite is great, she's in a 40 gallon with t5 Arcadia 12% lighting and a halogen light, basking temps are 103-106, ambient 83-88 on warm side and about 74-76 on the cool side.

Most baby dragons I have had experience with were not this defensive like this, is this normal?, will she come around?

Attachments

• IMG_9982.jpg
    IMG_9982.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 105
  • tempImageCTx2gg.jpg
    tempImageCTx2gg.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 82
  • tempImageoTqmNT.jpg
    tempImageoTqmNT.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
What a beautiful beardie!!!
Your really pretty much describing typical baby behavior. It just takes time and patience. Try putting in a piece of clothing that smells like you. If possible have her in the room where you spend the most time. Get her out just a little before lights out and let her snuggle into your neck. Keep her out until she is sound asleep then carefully put her to bed. Try hand feeding her. Most of all just spend time with her. Patience is the key. Remember they are brand new to the world and everthing is brand new to them. It takes time for them to become comfortable in their self and their surroundings. Can you imagine waking up one day (hatching) and not knowing who you are, where you are, what you can eat, what wants to eat you. It would be terrifying 😳.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What a beautiful beardie!!!
Your really pretty much describing typical baby behavior. It just takes time and patience. Try putting in a piece of clothing that smells like you. If possible have her in the room where you spend the most time. Get her out just a little before lights out and let her snuggle into your neck. Keep her out until she is sound asleep then carefully put her to bed. Try hand feeding her. Most of all just spend time with her. Patience is the key. Remember they are brand new to the world and everthing is brand new to them. It takes time for them to become comfortable in their self and their surroundings. Can you imagine waking up one day (hatching) and not knowing who you are, where you are, what you can eat, what wants to eat you. It would be terrifying 😳.
She needs to adjust to her tank and surroundings - could take months- please start hand taming putting your hand in the tank feeding her some bsfl- some small super worms- put a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in the hide so she gets used to your scent- approach from the side not overhead- she will think your a predator - work w/ her everyday- hold her if you can in the tank for now short periods of time - set your hand in the tank see if she will climb on it- the uvb is placed where?

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Run- oh that's what I did!!
The advice above me is key but seriously I ran so kudos to you for not giving up. Please be patient, check everything and like @xp29 said, remember there's a lot going on. Now, if it's a personality thing, be consistent so she knows who is boss! She's a baby at only 3 weeks, let's give her some time. Let her observe you more and your daily routine and return the favor as she is very beautiful!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom