Baby bearded dragon bloated, flipping onto back HELP ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLJ

Hi, My daughters bearded dragon had babies which hatched two weeks ago. She noticed today one dragon is bloated and keeps flipping onto its back. She has given it a warm bath and rubbed it tummy but it is not pooping yet. She is feeding the babies small sized crickets (1/2-3/4 size of eye width). When she rubs his tummy he lays down instead of standing up. Using 150 W/UVB bulb on mesh in a 40g tank. What should she do? She is not sure if rubbing the tummy is helping as it seems to cause it more pain.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, My daughters bearded dragon had babies which hatched two weeks ago. She noticed today one dragon is bloated and keeps flipping onto its back. She has given it a warm bath and rubbed it tummy but it is not pooping yet. She is feeding the babies small sized crickets (1/2-3/4 size of eye width). When she rubs his tummy he lays down instead of standing up. Using 150 W/UVB bulb on mesh in a 40g tank. What should she do? She is not sure if rubbing the tummy is helping as it seems to cause it more pain.
Uvb is crucial what are you using for a uvb?
@AHBD

TLJ

Original Poster
Uvb is crucial what are you using for a uvb? She has two tanks, this one in pic is in one tank (UVA...not sure what the difference is? the bloated beardie is in this one) with another 75W heat light and the other tank has a thrive 10UVB and 150W
1647651307540.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you using the red bulb --- if so please dont use it -- please get a long tube fixture check your local pet stores for a 24" fixture Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 the screen will determine placement and distance --- please show me the screen -- also look for a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb -- some Petsmarts carry them --- he needs this right away ---

TLJ

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick response. No we are not using the red bulb. Can't get it now till morning hopefully that will be soon enough!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for the quick response. No we are not using the red bulb. Can't get it now till morning hopefully that will be soon enough!!
Ok post a pic of the screen please - I have flagged the post to some others that can help

TLJ

Original Poster
Are you using the red bulb --- if so please dont use it -- please get a long tube fixture check your local pet stores for a 24" fixture Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 the screen will determine placement and distance --- please show me the screen -- also look for a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb -- some Petsmarts carry them --- he needs this right away ---
So the baby pooped but is still bloated is that common with impaction to still be bloated??

TLJ

Original Poster
Ok post a pic of the screen please - I have flagged the post to some others that can help
She's not at the house right now. Apparently she has two tanks but one of them didn't come with a screen so she's put wire cooking racks on top to hold the lights

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi, it sounds like the baby possibly ate a cricket that was too large. That will put pressure on the spine and can cause partial paralysis. How is he now ? Where did you get the crickets and can you post a pic of them next to your babies for scale ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She's not at the house right now. Apparently she has two tanks but one of them didn't come with a screen so she's put wire cooking racks on top to hold the lights
Ok the cooking racks will work -- as far impaction if the dragon pooped she is not impacted --- when you get the UVB please post back on here so I can help you get it set up for distance - what ever tank your using I need the height of the tank please

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
I would definately schedule a vet visit. Diagnosing anything medically over the internet is so hard. I would rather you err on the side of caution and have it checked by a vet in case it is something medically wrong.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It sounds like good advice but a vet usually has very little knowledge about hatchling dragons that aren't even big enough to sell yet. It's hard to imagine how tiny + fragile they are. The problem may be as clear cut as lack of proper uvb , which can be diagnosed here, or eating an insect that is too large. I'm not insulting you, just know these things having raised many clutches of babies. The other thing that comes to mind is atadenovirus, but if the baby has it the others likely have it as well. In that case , Drache613 , who works with the ADV lab, can do a very affordable test [ much less than a vet ] And the other things I mentioned may be the only things that are needing correction.

TLJ

Original Poster
Ok the cooking racks will work -- as far impaction if the dragon pooped she is not impacted --- when you get the UVB please post back on here so I can help you get it set up for distance - what ever tank your using I need the height of the tank please
received_294278062819223.jpeg

This is a pic of the tanks before she put everything in them and the babies. Does she need the fixture as well as the UVB? She is buying the UVB light but she's a University student. The heights is 12"

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What is in the tank, the pic looks very fuzzy. They need some small, slim branches to climb up by the uvb. A 75 watt bulb in the small dome fixture is almost certainly not going to give off enough heat and the coil/compact bulb can't project enough uvb for a group of babies. How many babies are there ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
View attachment 68704
This is a pic of the tanks before she put everything in them and the babies. Does she need the fixture as well as the UVB? She is buying the UVB light but she's a University student. The heights is 12"
Go w/ the zoo med 10.0 T 8 or use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the 24" zoo med it needs to be 6-8 inches above the basking decor- the 5.0 is not as strong as the 10.0 but the distance is the same- the bulbs need to be unobstructed- the 5.0 is more for aquarium use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom