Aspiration advanced

Handsome

Beardie name(s)
Handsome
On the 16th of last month my Handsome was taking water from me dropping it over her nose. She began gagging- so I stopped the water source. She threw up and went stiff, fully concave pancake, hands curled, and was dead in my hands through calling 3 vets.
Then she popped up like nothing happened. I preferred reptaid xl as a precaution for the possible water inhalation, later developing pneumonia... And began a soft food diet just in case it was an impaction that caused the vomit. Nope! She poops daily.
She's supposed to be gravid- last year she was really lazy and sleepy with zero appetite.
However- this year with the water exposure something is different. She is alert to me handling her, but limp to my movement. She'll sit up for water. But sleepy like when we get the flu. (She's fighting something) all of a sudden- She's blowing bubbles out of her left eye, which now buldges from her head when exhaling... And leaks water when I feed it to her.
No excess of mucus- no snot... She'll do a gagging cough with "too much water".

I rescued her from being dumped in the dessert at the start of covid- her sibling had a broken back- it was bad. I don't agree with captive breeding and this is why. Upon her arrival she was set free to roam an upstairs loft all by herself- don't come at me. We all deserve our freedom. Her space has been kept very very optimal for her and clean. My house temp never cools below 85... I live in Vegas.
How am I able to get her antibiotics without a $300 vet bill?
They would charge $280 for euthanasia... I'm terrified of what they'll charge to help her.
Please help.

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
Free roaming isn't good for them as much as you think "freedom" is great. At 85 not even close to the required 95 to 100 degree basking. How was she provided uv? These are all vital to the health of the animal and any lapse in proper care on the grounds of freedom is absolutely headed for disaster. I'm not trying to come down on you or cause any kind of tension, this is just purely the facts. Beyond this we need to know things like diet, supplements, types of lights and their placement aka distance to the animal and location of light aka inside or outside an enclosure.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I agree with Lobretto 100%. If uvb and temp isn't spot on the will not thrive, worse they WILL suffer metabolic bone disease . I know you think your giving her her freedom and thats commendable. But if she doesn't bask in uvb and doesn't bask at around 100 degrees, she will suffer. Even if you set up the lights unsupervised she may not get in them. Like Lobretto I'm not trying to offend or come down on you, I'm just worried for your beardies health. I'm going to attach a pic of mbd sp you can see why setup is so critical.
I know its hard to look at but this really happened to them.

Attachments

• th-1476045386.jpg
    th-1476045386.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 80
  • th-2641600100.jpg
    th-2641600100.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 83

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Leave it to me to be indifferent. My oldest free roam as well and I’ve had no issues. With that being said when he’s tired of being out/bothered he crawls back in on his own and bask on his hammock or branch. I also take him outside as much as possible typically 30mins-hr or more for natural uvb 3-4 times a week. If not more. I make sure he stays in for an hr-2 after eating to properly digest his food.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
This probably takes the cake but I am new to all of this and bring the light where the beardie goes. I recently posted about my beardie sitting in the window for the first time. After looking at the sun and the back of her, I let her sit there for a little while before I grabbed her light - I had to be mindful of the glass, I don't want to cook her but I also need to be mindful that she is still growing.
Rocky is definitely used to 12 hours of light each day and I am mindful of vitamins/calcium - digestion time...there's a lot to this but you see the results in behavior, shedding and overall health.

While our opinions may slightly vary, they are similar in the end result...proper care which includes but isn't limited to lighting, supplements, etc.

Best of luck- I hope she pulls through!

Last edited:

Handsome

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Handsome
Free roaming isn't good for them as much as you think "freedom" is great. At 85 not even close to the required 95 to 100 degree basking. How was she provided uv? These are all vital to the health of the animal and any lapse in proper care on the grounds of freedom is absolutely headed for disaster. I'm not trying to come down on you or cause any kind of tension, this is just purely the facts. Beyond this we need to know things like diet, supplements, types of lights and their placement aka distance to the animal and location of light aka inside or outside an enclosure.
I filled out the profile on my lighting and such- much the same as you did starting an account. You're welcome to read it. Your condescending judgement is FULLY irrelevant, causing a ton of friction and in no way helpful to the dragon and a total waste of space. Thank you for distracting me from helping her to meet you ego.

Handsome

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Handsome
Leave it to me to be indifferent. My oldest free roam as well and I’ve had no issues. With that being said when he’s tired of being out/bothered he crawls back in on his own and bask on his hammock or branch. I also take him outside as much as possible typically 30mins-hr or more for natural uvb 3-4 times a week. If not more. I make sure he stays in for an hr-2 after eating to properly digest his food.
Thank you. 🤗🤗🤗

Handsome

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Handsome
This probably takes the cake but I am new to all of this and bring the light where the beardie goes. I recently posted about my beardie sitting in the window for the first time. After looking at the sun and the back of her, I let her sit there for a little while before I grabbed her light - I had to be mindful of the glass, I don't want to cook her but I also need to be mindful that she is still growing.
Rocky is definitely used to 12 hours of light each day and I am mindful of vitamins/calcium - digestion time...there's a lot to this but you see the results in behavior, shedding and overall health.

While our opinions may slightly vary, the are similar in the end result...proper care which includes but isn't limited to lighting, supplements, etc.

Best of luck- I hope she pulls through!
Thank you

Handsome

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Handsome
I agree with Lobretto 100%. If uvb and temp isn't spot on the will not thrive, worse they WILL suffer metabolic bone disease . I know you think your giving her her freedom and thats commendable. But if she doesn't bask in uvb and doesn't bask at around 100 degrees, she will suffer. Even if you set up the lights unsupervised she may not get in them. Like Lobretto I'm not trying to offend or come down on you, I'm just worried for your beardies health. I'm going to attach a pic of mbd sp you can see why setup is so critical.
I know its hard to look at but this really happened to th

You too are completely IRRELEVANT. Read my profile information- her lamp and basking details are available.. If you REALLY wanna be a "know it all"- super hero. READ!!!! Then respond appropriately.
I ALREADY SAID I'm not concerned about your opinions, don't waste precious energy on moot points.

Handsome

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Handsome
She literally does all of that and has all of that... Thank you!! She'll stay basking until I put her in her bed. Her drowning was not brought on by basking. At least you can read. Thank you.

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
I filled out the profile on my lighting and such- much the same as you did starting an account. You're welcome to read it. Your condescending judgement is FULLY irrelevant, causing a ton of friction and in no way helpful to the dragon and a total waste of space. Thank you for distracting me from helping her to meet you
Thank you

I filled out the profile on my lighting and such- much the same as you did starting an account. You're welcome to read it. Your condescending judgement is FULLY irrelevant, causing a ton of friction and in no way helpful to the dragon and a total waste of space. Thank you for distracting me from helping her to meet you ego.
Wow why so sour. Never did I insult you nor did I act condescending. You are the one going off on a tangent attacking members who may not agree with free roaming. That doesn't give you the right to be so abrasive. This is a forum of like minded people with a love for beardies. There is no need to get hostile towards anyone. Nobody got hostile towards you. Please refrain from this behavior in the future.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
No one attacked you personally, we were merely pointing out that there is inherent dangers to letting them free roam. Beyond the light, there risk of injury, they could be stepped on, they could fall, something could fall on them for example. There is the risk of impaction, a members beardie swallowed an entire shoe string a few days ago. They can wedge themselves into tight spots and become trapped. They could make their way back outside, most climates are not survivable for them.
Neither of us were attacking you. There is alot of variables if you let them free roam. They are little and a lot of stuff poses danger to them.and THAT was the point. It's a free world and you are free to kerp your beardie any way you want, it's your conscience.

Handsome

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Handsome
Of course!!! How much ego does it take to continue wasting someone's time with nonsense and misinformation? I haven't insulted either of you, yet..and from the looks of things- I don't have to.
I heard you- still trying to get it in. She said No- twice already. Metabolic bone disease, getting stuck- (like they don't have that risk in the wild- without me to "save her") has nothing to do with aspiration. oh- also... They don't bask- on their own in the wild, for 12 hrs a day either. NEVER are they out directly under 120°sun and weather- in the wild.
But since that's not what the original post is about- I for the life of me can't figure out what Metabolic Bone Disease and getting stuck in an environment has to do with choking.
Ya know- it's possible that they coke if you give them water? Water is a danger too...omg!
As polite as I can be- while sourly watching my dragon die as a result of CHOKING ON WATER- get out of my face listing dangers that ARE NOT RELEVANT to her condition.
In all of these paragraphs of boasting and bragging about your knowledge and your education and your love for a bearded dragon not once have you directed your attention towards actually offering help.
It's okay to admit you don't know how to help or even just keep your mouth quiet and continue scrolling...
I really don't need another irrelevant distraction about your opinion- from you, in an emergency. So if you NEED ATTENTION THIS BAD- call Your mama.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
On the 16th of last month my Handsome was taking water from me dropping it over her nose. She began gagging- so I stopped the water source. She threw up and went stiff, fully concave pancake, hands curled, and was dead in my hands through calling 3 vets.
Then she popped up like nothing happened. I preferred reptaid xl as a precaution for the possible water inhalation, later developing pneumonia... And began a soft food diet just in case it was an impaction that caused the vomit. Nope! She poops daily.
She's supposed to be gravid- last year she was really lazy and sleepy with zero appetite.
However- this year with the water exposure something is different. She is alert to me handling her, but limp to my movement. She'll sit up for water. But sleepy like when we get the flu. (She's fighting something) all of a sudden- She's blowing bubbles out of her left eye, which now buldges from her head when exhaling... And leaks water when I feed it to her.
No excess of mucus- no snot... She'll do a gagging cough with "too much water".

I rescued her from being dumped in the dessert at the start of covid- her sibling had a broken back- it was bad. I don't agree with captive breeding and this is why. Upon her arrival she was set free to roam an upstairs loft all by herself- don't come at me. We all deserve our freedom. Her space has been kept very very optimal for her and clean. My house temp never cools below 85... I live in Vegas.
How am I able to get her antibiotics without a $300 vet bill?
They would charge $280 for euthanasia... I'm terrified of what they'll charge to help her.
Please help.
@AHBD @Drache613

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
Of course!!! How much ego does it take to continue wasting someone's time with nonsense and misinformation? I haven't insulted either of you, yet..and from the looks of things- I don't have to.
I heard you- still trying to get it in. She said No- twice already. Metabolic bone disease, getting stuck- (like they don't have that risk in the wild- without me to "save her") has nothing to do with aspiration. oh- also... They don't bask- on their own in the wild, for 12 hrs a day either. NEVER are they out directly under 120°sun and weather- in the wild.
But since that's not what the original post is about- I for the life of me can't figure out what Metabolic Bone Disease and getting stuck in an environment has to do with choking.
Ya know- it's possible that they coke if you give them water? Water is a danger too...omg!
As polite as I can be- while sourly watching my dragon die as a result of CHOKING ON WATER- get out of my face listing dangers that ARE NOT RELEVANT to her condition.
In all of these paragraphs of boasting and bragging about your knowledge and your education and your love for a bearded dragon not once have you directed your attention towards actually offering help.
It's okay to admit you don't know how to help or even just keep your mouth quiet and continue scrolling...
I really don't need another irrelevant distraction about your opinion- from you, in an emergency. So if you NEED ATTENTION THIS BAD- call Your mama.
Grow up

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom