Asperate question

Status
Not open for further replies.

colbertf

Beardie name(s)
ROWAN (Gaelic for Little Red Guy)
My boy is about 7 months old and diagnosed ADV+. Currently treating for URI, with Omnivore/Carnivore Care50/50, 1.0cc (Gentamicin) + 5.0cc (NaCl) via nebulizer twice a day, and Ceftazidime Injectable Antibiotic. It doesn't matter if I'm trying to hydrate him with a slurry drops on nose that he licks off, or feeding him omnivore critical care via syringe also via drops on the nose that he licks off, or slowly via side of mouth, it doesn't seem to matter how slowly I do it but he will still end up at some point in the process with what seems like he asperates.....one or two coughs at the same time puffed up beard and open mouth. He seems to then go back to normal. It's stressing me out that I'm causing him to asperate. The vet tech via text message said that if he's just swallowing it's fine I want to run this by the members here. Its stressing me out that I might be causing him to asperate. Thanks for your help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My boy is about 7 months old and diagnosed ADV+. Currently treating for URI, with Omnivore/Carnivore Care50/50, 1.0cc (Gentamicin) + 5.0cc (NaCl) via nebulizer twice a day, and Ceftazidime Injectable Antibiotic. It doesn't matter if I'm trying to hydrate him with a slurry drops on nose that he licks off, or feeding him omnivore critical care via syringe also via drops on the nose that he licks off, or slowly via side of mouth, it doesn't seem to matter how slowly I do it but he will still end up at some point in the process with what seems like he asperates.....one or two coughs at the same time puffed up beard and open mouth. He seems to then go back to normal. It's stressing me out that I'm causing him to asperate. The vet tech via text message said that if he's just swallowing it's fine I want to run this by the members here. Its stressing me out that I might be causing him to asperate. Thanks for your help.
Let him swallow what you put in then proceed -- if hes swallowing then you should be ok - just do it a little at a time --

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The coughing and apparent asperate could simply just be a symptom of the RI you're treating.

If you're going slow, and injecting into the side of the mouth as opposed to straight back, you should be fine.

-Brandon

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Let him swallow what you put in then proceed -- if hes swallowing then you should be ok - just do it a little at a time --
Thank you @KarrieRee , I tried doing it much slower this morning, one or 2 drops on the nose, let him swallow and wait, we got through 1.0ml without any issue. What I thought was slow I now see I was putting too many drops without waiting.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you @KarrieRee , I tried doing it much slower this morning, one or 2 drops on the nose, let him swallow and wait, we got through 1.0ml without any issue. What I thought was slow I now see I was putting too many drops without waiting.
YW

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
The coughing and apparent asperate could simply just be a symptom of the RI you're treating.

If you're going slow, and injecting into the side of the mouth as opposed to straight back, you should be fine.

-Brandon
Hey Brandon @Claudiusx , I got demo'd how to force feed from the vet tech yesterday, but its a lot of stress on him and on me having to force it. This morning I tried going much slower and got through 1ml slow drops on the nose, I will need to just do it slowly and small amounts throughout the day. He's a slow eater.

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
He doesn't eat much veg, will pick out the baby arugula, when he does go down to the veg bowl to start eating, I've noticed if he slips on the way down he sort of gives up immediately and goes back up to the basking spot, noticed also if he goes down and goes to eat a arugula leaf and misses 2 or 3 times in a row, he gives up also and goes back to the basking. Is this common?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor beardie, how is his body condition ? Can you post pics of him as well as his entire set up + lights ?

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Here are some photos, and some additional details ,
I use a Digital Laser Temperature Gun to measure basking spot.
Basking area has black slate, the hottest part I try to keep around 105/106 and the temp radiates down from there, but depending on the outside temperature I notice it can be less or more, I keep having to adjust even with it on a dimmer switch.

The cool side I use a BN-LINK Digital Heat Thermostat Controller and I try to have it around 82.

Night time I use a separate a BN-LINK Digital Heat Thermostat Controller with a ceramic lamp and try to keep temp around 80

UVB: Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube bulb , mounted inside Zen Habitat 4'x2'x2', around 10-12 inches from the basking area.
These first 4 photos attached from a few weeks back.
A photo sample of the veg food dish.
And a photo of him earlier tonight basking

Attachments

• 20220324_072911.jpg
    20220324_072911.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220324_073430.jpg
    20220324_073430.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 274888154_646758926412643_1242521999159581129_n.jpg
    274888154_646758926412643_1242521999159581129_n.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 275168262_326031199380529_5171509746622882031_n.jpg
    275168262_326031199380529_5171509746622882031_n.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 83
  • messages_0 (1).jpeg
    messages_0 (1).jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 74
  • messages_0 (2).jpeg
    messages_0 (2).jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 97

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Set up looks good and your dragon does as well. Very pretty boy ! Your basking temp. is good but try to be sure there's a good heat gradient. Especially while he's not well it should be no less than 80 in the cool end. If you need to raise the temps., turn on the CHE for the cooler end.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also if the dragon is sick 80 is good at night but once he gets better you dont want that temp that high-- 65-75 at nite but for now if hes not well 80 is probably good -- too warm of temps at nite can cause RI --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks excellent in his surroundings! His colors are beautiful. How is he doing tonight?
Definitely, as Karrie suggested, try to keep him around 75-80F overnight for awhile if he isn't
feeling 100% right now.
I hope he is continuing to eat well & starts to feel better soon.

Tracie

colbertf

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
@AHBD @KarrieRee & @Drache613 Thank you.

For the cool side I do have a CHE on daily using it connected to a BN-LINK Digital Heat Thermostat Controller to get the cool side day temps up to 85 on the cool side hottest spot,
I also didn't realize keeping higher at 80 like that could cause RI. I will keep it around 75-80 while he's on the medication and then down to 65-75.

He continues to refuse BSFL, crickets, superworms, dubias, phoenix worms (he used to eat them up to 3 weeks ago), but in the last few days has eaten a few howrnworms (3 to 5) and butterworms (3 to 5) by hand. I have Dubias & BSFL in a bowl by his veg but he ignores them.
He also is not eating any veg.

I'm continuing to force feed the EmerAid critical care omnivore mix, that's been a bit of a struggle, getting about 5ml to 6ml a day (he's 7 months and about 285 grams) , does that seem okay?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
@AHBD @KarrieRee & @Drache613 Thank you.

For the cool side I do have a CHE on daily using it connected to a BN-LINK Digital Heat Thermostat Controller to get the cool side day temps up to 85 on the cool side hottest spot,
I also didn't realize keeping higher at 80 like that could cause RI. I will keep it around 75-80 while he's on the medication and then down to 65-75.

He continues to refuse BSFL, crickets, superworms, dubias, phoenix worms (he used to eat them up to 3 weeks ago), but in the last few days has eaten a few howrnworms (3 to 5) and butterworms (3 to 5) by hand. I have Dubias & BSFL in a bowl by his veg but he ignores them.
He also is not eating any veg.

I'm continuing to force feed the EmerAid critical care omnivore mix, that's been a bit of a struggle, getting about 5ml to 6ml a day (he's 7 months and about 285 grams) , does that seem okay?
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Colbert,

I hope your boy is doing better. Were you able to get some food into him today?
The amount you are giving him, which is 5-6mls daily should be fine. Is he still
reacting strangely or has he calmed down some?

Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom