Asked to Leave Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Went to Petco to grab some quick supplies. As I'm walking down the isle where they have the pet reptiles (I always stop to look at them) I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the enclosure with the baby bearded dragons. The entire front glass was covered in condensate. The humidity stat read 95% with the red warning light on. My head damn near exploded. An employee came walking down the isle asking if I needed help. I said no but those beardies do. I told him he needed to get all those dragons out of that enclosure now and dry it out. He starts arguing with me saying I was wrong and BDs need high humidity. I actually walked over to their own car sheet and showed him how wrong he was. I told him I've been raising these guys for years. The damn reptile carpet was soaked. He kept arguing with me saying I was wrong and the care sheet must have been a misprint. He finally told me I had to leave the store. I was so pissed driving home that as soon as I got home I sent an email to Petco's corporate office. I'm sure nothing will happen but I truly fear what is going to happen to those babies. I hope people stop buying live animals from Petco so it's no longer financially possible for them to keep selling them.
Also as a side note they had a small dish of either mealworms or superworms in the enclosure and the damn things were dead and turning black. How freaking long were those in there.

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
Oh no! Those poor beardies. The proper humidity for bearded dragons is between 20-40 % so 95 % is absolutely terrible. Hopefully the Petco corporate office will get back to you and rectify the situation. You could also try leaving a Yelp review for that particular location, explaining what you witnessed.

I found this regarding reporting pet store neglect so perhaps there's something useful in there about getting these little guys some help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is maddening how reptiles are treated in many of the petstores. Maybe corporate will look into it, but hopefully
someone will come along & buy some to get them moved. I honestly don't understand how simple husbandry can
be so negligently overlooked!

Tracie

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well color me surprised. I got an email back from the corporate office saying they would look into it and all the other corporate speak you get with these replies. So I decided to swing by the store just to see if they actually did anything and when I got there I was shocked to see the dragons were not in the enclosure. A sign was up saying the enclosure was being cleaned and the dragons would return shortly. I'm honestly amazed. Hopefully the little guys are being better cared for now. Maybe someone actually does give a crap at corporate.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Wow! That’s awesome! My Petco gives a crap so the dragons are never in wet enclosures. Glad you got someone to do something. I’d hate for them to be ill when someone buys one.

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
That's amazing! I'm so happy to hear they responded and those beardies are hopefully getting much needed help. Thank you for saying something!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well that was a great outcome ! Maybe the babies had splashed in the water bowl in their tiny enclosure or maybe an employee was misting some of the tropical reptiles and thought that the beardies needed it as well. Anyway, you made a difference for the little guys !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom