Are these safe for my tank?

Shotty.Sub

Beardie name(s)
Fiona
Hi,

Two questions. Thank you in advance, this site has been INCREDIBLE! So extremely appreciative of all the knowledge shared on here.

1. My dad graciously built me a super fancy lid for our dragon tank. Not knowing reptile woods, he used pine. It was bought from Lowes, has been painted a few coats, and off gassed. It doesn't sit under the light, I've attached a picture. Is it still safe to use? Should I seal it with something else? Really want to salvage it as it was weeks of work and lovingly crafted.
  2. Are resin decorations safe for basking spots? I bought this one: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/komodo-resin-turtle-hideaway-reptile-decor
1656428031901.jpg

Beardie name(s)
Thor, Loki (Deceased)
Hi,

Two questions. Thank you in advance, this site has been INCREDIBLE! So extremely appreciative of all the knowledge shared on here.

1. My dad graciously built me a super fancy lid for our dragon tank. Not knowing reptile woods, he used pine. It was bought from Lowes, has been painted a few coats, and off gassed. It doesn't sit under the light, I've attached a picture. Is it still safe to use? Should I seal it with something else? Really want to salvage it as it was weeks of work and lovingly crafted.
  2. Are resin decorations safe for basking spots? I bought this one: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/komodo-resin-turtle-hideaway-reptile-decor
View attachment 71465
It looks like it's OK, just always remember if it isn't safe for humans, then it probably isn't safe for your beardie.

Here is a website that lists different types of wood and their effects on humans

Both types of pine are irritants and the Pinus genus can cause runny noses and affect people with asthma.

As for the resin decoration, I would say that it would be fine, I have a resin cave for my Loki to bask on and it works fine. I haven't noticed any problems, so yeah, I would say it's safe.

Hope this helps you and your beardie!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi,

View attachment 71465
Yes resins are safe for basking decor -- you need to ask CooperDragon or Claudiusx Brandon about the pine stuff

@CooperDragon
@Claudiusx

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My male has had muscle twitches for a while now. I have arranged, rearranged, and arranged some more on his uvb,basking, calcium, and hydration. All to no avail. Then by chance i came across an artical about cedar being toxic. I nearly skipped over it but the word pine was in bold print so i read it. One of the issues listed from pine was muscle twitching. In severe cases seizures. Also in dogs.
He has had pine hides and a few other odds and ins in his habitat hus whole life. They are removed from all 3 of my setups now. I know its cliche but when in doubt ,don't.
That is the link for anyone that would like to read it.

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
My male has had muscle twitches for a while now. I have arranged, rearranged, and arranged some more on his uvb,basking, calcium, and hydration. All to no avail. Then by chance i came across an artical about cedar being toxic. I nearly skipped over it but the word pine was in bold print so i read it. One of the issues listed from pine was muscle twitching. In severe cases seizures. Also in dogs.
He has had pine hides and a few other odds and ins in his habitat hus whole life. They are removed from all 3 of my setups now. I know its cliche but when in doubt ,don't.
That is the link for anyone that would like to read it.
Thank you, this is actually the link I found in the forums to prompt me to post here and ask :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd think that the pine would be pretty well sealed by the multiple coats of paint, so I probably wouldn't worry about it. Especially since it's a top rather than a piece that your dragon is close to or in contact with regularly.

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
I'd think that the pine would be pretty well sealed by the multiple coats of paint, so I probably wouldn't worry about it. Especially since it's a top rather than a piece that your dragon is close to or in contact with regularly.
Great! Thank you for your help. If I wanted to add a sealer on top of it, what would you recommend?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think latex paint should be enough to seal it pretty well, but you might be able to add a layer of polycrylic on top (double check compatibility with the type of paint you used) or if you want to redo it you could bring it back down to bare wood, stain it, then seal it with polyurethane. I think that's overkill in this case though and I'd probably leave it as it is.

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
I think latex paint should be enough to seal it pretty well, but you might be able to add a layer of polycrylic on top (double check compatibility with the type of paint you used) or if you want to redo it you could bring it back down to bare wood, stain it, then seal it with polyurethane. I think that's overkill in this case though and I'd probably leave it as it is.
I appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom