Are there any safe loose substrates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a one year old who glass surfs and swipes her feet along the ceramic tile for at least a few hours a day. She's in a 18x18x36 and I will upgrade to a 2x2x4 eventually, but as for now I am trying to find ways to give her that ability to dig. Her enclosure looks beautiful that's for sure and its super easy to clean, I love that part. My concerns are the enrichment aspect and how she keeps glass surfing and digging, and her nails are almost non-existent stubs on her back legs. This is a very heated and polarized subject and I know that sand is a no-no. I have heard of others using eco-earth and repti-chips (not repti-bark). I also had a put a wet sand box in there for her to dig only and it just got tracked all over the tile. I have shredded fleece in her cave hide but she rarely uses it. She also either eats from a food dish or our hands, so she would not be hunting in the substrate. Any suggestions on a safer* loose substrate, as I know there are risks involved, but just trying to give her the best most enjoyable life...
110867-5193674322.jpg

Yes actually, there is one option that I use and have found is pretty good. I used mine on my 11 month old beardie and he loved digging and burying himself in the substrate :)

So around 50% topsoil- with no chemicals- or manure or anything like that and 50% playsand. I suggest it because it's really a lot of enrichment for them. And it keeps a naturalistic environment. just make sure that your beardie has a raised space/hide to get off of it if they need to.

I recommend it, but others may not- I was part of a reptile discord server and I had confided in them about loose substrate- and they told me that it depends on the beardie but most of them love it, and that it was better than the tile I was using.

So as long as your beardie is old enough to know not to eat the dirt- I suggest switching. My beardie was around 8 months when I switched him.

109360-1922184471.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom