Are mealworms actually bad for beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought around 250+ mealworms after researching heaps and finding that bearded dragons usually love mealworms. I am supposed to be getting a beardy (either adult or juvi) in a little less than 2 months. I have a mealworm farm going. But, I saw one thread on here saying mealworms are bad, so I researched on the negative side and found so many people say mealworms are bad (because of chitin/fat)!!! What should I do? I don't want to just throw out all my mealworms :( But, I am planning on feeding mealworms only around 4 times a week, mostly greens. Should I start a cricket farm as well?

Any help appreciated :D
thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Mealworms aren't as horrible as people say, not at all. You can use them as part of the diet, but not the main course. Keep them in a tub with oatmeal or bran [ they are easier to separate from the bran ] and give them greens like turnip, mustard, collard as well as other good veggies to eat. Just check to be sure no veggies get moldy. Mealies are O.K. for older juvies on up, but not in large quantities. Crickets are a much better choice, and of course there are other insects as well. If you're interested in a nutritional analysis of mealworms, just Google it. If you want to breed crickets there is a thread at the top of the page, and you can also breed dubia roaches.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Yes mealworms cause impaction andcthey are hard for beardies to digest. I would try to sell them on Craigslist. As for crickets you can raise those , but they smell alot. I don't know where you're located, but I rasise dubia roaches. They are not noisy and don't smell as bad. How old is the beardie you're getting?

BeardiesDen

Original Poster
thanks for your help people :D I'm not sure how old the beardy will be, but I would like to get either a juvi or an adult. At least older than 7 months. I am in NZ and I don't think we have dubia roaches, but I will definitely get into crickets. Thanks for your help! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom