Are dubias bad for beareded dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicexoxo1

So I was in a facebook group and asked about were to get a colony of dubias. But one of them said dubias are bad for bearded dragons and cause health problems. Is this true?

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
It depends what size they are. All insects are supposed to be big enough that it is smaller then between their eyes or else they do get a disease eating ones that are bigger than between their eyes.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
So I was in a facebook group and asked about were to get a colony of dubias. But one of them said dubias are bad for bearded dragons and cause health problems. Is this true?
They were probably referring to the fact that dubias can have high uric acid levels that can then be passed on to your dragon and potentially lead to gout. Dubias do store their uric acid because they can convert it back into protein if needed or when they make their eggsac. If you are breeding your own, you can feed a low protein diet to mitigate this. If you are buying them, gutload with fruits and veggies and avoid the commercial roach or dubia chow. Also feeding more variety and not ONLY dubias will help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom