Arco the bearded dragon behavior

Yordtliberty13

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Arco
So I was wondering why my bearded dragon runs from me when I go to take her out of her tank but she does not act aggressive towards me and even falls asleep on me when she runs from me should I leave her alone or continue to take her out of her tank?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
how are you picking her up? if it is from above her that could be the problem. she could be viewing you as a predator and reacting accordingly.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm guessing she is young and/or you haven't had her long.
Just think how scared you would be if a creature big enough to scoop you up in one had was trying to pick you up.
It's the same for them. It takes time for them to learn to trust you.have patience and be patient with her. Eventually she will bond with you and want to spend time out with you. But it doesn't happen over night. Or even weeks. The trick is just be slow and steady. Don't snatch her up approach her with hand flat and low. But when you do pick her up be confident like its the most normal thing in the world.
Another thing you can try is letting her just sit on your hand inside the habitat, let her just get used to how that feels and she should start learning to trust you.
I hope this helps.

Yordtliberty13

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Arco
Just think how scared you would be if a creature big enough to scoop you up in one had was trying to pick you up.
It's the same for them. It takes time for them to learn to trust you.have patience and be patient with her. Eventually she will bond with you and want to spend time out with you. But it doesn't happen over night. Or even weeks. The trick is just be slow and steady. Don't snatch her up approach her with hand flat and low. But when you do pick her up be confident like its the most normal thing in the world.
Another thing you can try is letting her just sit on your hand inside the habitat, let her just get used to how that feels and she should start learning to trust you.
I hope this helps.
Sounds good thank you I was just confused since she falls asleep on me and isn't aggressive

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I would put a piece of your clothing doesn’t have to be big for her to get used to your smell as well. Put in the place she lays the Most.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I hope this helps.
This was soooooooooooo the case for me. Plus I was nervous and she knew it so the line about confidence....so necessary-
Things got better in time. I haven't even hit my 1 mark yet and Rocky loves me. Today she did NOT want to go back in (to go to bed)- she just wanted to cuddle. She also has a weird obsession with the ceiling light/fan even when it's off so we just stood and stared at it. LOL
Patience is key and move at your dragon's pace. I literally say, "Do you want to get out?" If Rocky looks up at the top of her home and stands up, that's a yes- if she doesn't move or rolls her eyes, that's a no. We communicate oh so well.
While I didn't put my clothing in her habitat, I put it in her playpen- then when I held her close, I took the same clothing, draped it over me and held her. Poor thing, it fell over her but she trusted me so, she didn't jump! LOL

Yordtliberty13

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Arco
This was soooooooooooo the case for me. Plus I was nervous and she knew it so the line about confidence....so necessary-
Things got better in time. I haven't even hit my 1 mark yet and Rocky loves me. Today she did NOT want to go back in (to go to bed)- she just wanted to cuddle. She also has a weird obsession with the ceiling light/fan even when it's off so we just stood and stared at it. LOL
Patience is key and move at your dragon's pace. I literally say, "Do you want to get out?" If Rocky looks up at the top of her home and stands up, that's a yes- if she doesn't move or rolls her eyes, that's a no. We communicate oh so well.
While I didn't put my clothing in her habitat, I put it in her playpen- then when I held her close, I took the same clothing, draped it over me and held her. Poor thing, it fell over her but she trusted me so, she didn't jump! LOL
Arco was laying on my upper chest and she started like scratching me by moving on arm repeatedly she never done this before have u experiencd this?

Yordtliberty13

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Arco
Afterwards she did her lil wiggle and fell asleep

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yeah all mine do that from time to time, i think they are trying to get as close to your warmth as they can. What ever the reason it precious, they know exactly how to manipulate us lol

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Alot of times my females try to hold onto my fingers when im tucking them in, my male trys to scamper up under my chin. If they had their way i think they would all 3 snuggle in my bed at night.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Alot of times my females try to hold onto my fingers when im tucking them in, my male trys to scamper up under my chin. If they had their way i think they would all 3 snuggle in my bed at night.
All that is so sweet. I may have posted it elsewhere but Rocky did not want to go back in yesterday. She actually put her hands on the screen- she flipped herself around and held on. I felt so bad. I usually don't take her out so close to bedtime or for short periods of time. When I took her out, she didn't want to go in her playpen, she wanted to be held so I held her. Then she wanted to stare at the ceiling light and fan although it was off...that's her favorite pass time. After about 5 minutes, I couldn't take it anymore LOL. I then attempted to put her back-
She fought me but she didn't puff up (that's my fear). I still won't let her know I'm scared but I am. LOL
So what do, I then try to make up with a treat even though it's close to bed time. It's fine because when she's upset she refuses all treats and she did!
Then what do I do? I remind myself what bearded dragons look like when they are upset by watching this
and I freak myself out to sleep!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom