Status
Not open for further replies.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Hi all
I have read through the guide directly from Arcadia https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/full-sun-baskers/ that shows this strong bulb should be about 18-24" inches from basking site. Is 48" to the ground still okay for the 14% T5 with reflector?

I don't have a UVB reading meter and this in one thing I've been hesitant to buy after other large purchases this year. I'm sure I'll eventually get one and I know that's the only one sure way to know...

Is there a more complete guide with the 14% that shows the UV rating for various distances from the lamp with a reflector? The video on their says the UV index is 5 to 6 at 15 inch distance. I've been converting an old iguana enclosure to a bearded dragon one. The total inside height is almost 60", but after adding some flooring the distance from lamp to ground will be about 48" - plus there will branches which create much more shade on the ground level.

Devlyn's living space will be about 48" high, 48" long, and 24" depth when finished in the new space.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need the basking decor piece at least 17" -- inside the tank --- I used the 14% for about a year and had the basking decor directly underneath w / distance of 17-18" -- the one guide you have is the only one I know of -- someone else might know of another one
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hey Dorg,

I'm not quite sure I'm understanding your question exactly.

So you know the effective range it has and how that relates to your basking sites distance from your bulb, but what is your concern about the floor level?

At 4 feet away, it will most likely have no measurable UV output.

I use the 14% 22" in my 4x2x2s.
At 3 feet away, the reading is about a 0.8, so at 4 feet i'd imagine it'd be 0 if not basically 0.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Thanks for feedback so far. I am worried my Devlyn will have more space with less UVB than her previous enclosure. I have pondered putting a shelve at about 24" height from floor with an Arcadia T5 12% to add additional UVB through to the ground. Still put to one side of the enclosure. She has hides and some new cork tubes to get true shade, I worry about not enough UVB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You do not want to over UVB her- the 14% is going to be plenty for the tank - just have it set up w/ a distance of 17-18" directly above her basking decor piece and she will get plenty of UVB
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is ok, and beneficial, for them to have areas of no UV in their tank. That's why I go with the 22 inch version in my 4x2x2s. It leaves about the last 4 or 5 inches of floor space on the cool end with 0 uvi. And anywhere they climb on the cool end is only very minimal UV.

Just like you want a nice temp gradient, you want a UV gradient of high at the basking area to low-none of the cool end.

If she is spending most of her time at those further away areas, then you might want to think about getting another bulb in their with a shelf like you mentioned. But, as long as she is going and basking regularly, she should be fine.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom