Apoplectic with rage! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arirang

So, I just moved my new Berber skink, Neville, into the living room into a more appropriately-sized tank, and my python, Nagini, into his smaller tank, which is better for both of them. Norbert, my beardie, however, can see Neville from across the room. He blackbeards, nods vigorously, and claws at the glass. He is fine when I hold Neville, but when he sees the skink in the tank, he goes nuts.

Right now, I have Norbert's view blocked with a towel, but I don't want that because I feel like he's cut off and I want to see him (and I can still hear him clawing the glass, but he might just want more food- I'll feed him some more when I finish this post). There is nowhere else I can move the skink to, as my apartment isn't very roomy.

One thing that /may/ have bearing on this... Norbert had a climbing thing that just wasn't sturdy enough for his heavier weight now, and wobbled every time he jumped on it. I took it out and gave it to Neville, who is lighter, less rambunctious, and has a proper substrate I can sink the thing into. Norbert watched me very acutely as I took it out, and he did love to sit on it- is it possible he's jealous that Neville got /his/ driftwood?

Ideally, I'd love it if this is something Norbert will just get used to and become okay with. Neville spends a lot of time hiding, usually, so it's not like he's even out most of the time- he's just exploring right now. However, if anyone has any ideas that don't involve completely blocking one or the other from view, I'd appreciate it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He knows there's another lizard in the room.

I think he's not really angry , just making sure you and the Berber Skink know HE's BOSS lizard.

The Berber is a bit intimidated by your dragon's antics.

They will get used to each other being around , just might take a little while.

Arirang

Original Poster
Berber didn't even notice- he's ten. Too old for that nonsense. So, how should I handle it? Will Norbert get overstressed by bearding? Can I just leave him uncovered? It was fully black. Kinda scary. Is it dangerous for him? Blood pressure or whatever?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Stack the tanks so neither can see each other would be my solution. Skink's tank on top , dragon's underneath it.

Give your dragon lots of time out of his tank to burn off some of that excess energy …. I think when he gets used to the skink being around things will settle down , and if the skink and dragon are similar sizes you might be able to let both out to have floor time together …. I done this with my big bluetongue skinks and each of my dragons for years (once they were all similar sizes so no one was big enough to see the other and think snack of 4 legs.

Got to be very careful at first and never leave the two lizards unattended.

Arirang

Original Poster
I will start letting Norbert out more. I can't stack the tanks (big 40 gallons, waaaay too heavy). Neville is sort of solving my problem for me just a little bit... he's buried himself. It's what they do. -shrug-

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Arirang":3qj0do6g said:
I will start letting Norbert out more. I can't stack the tanks (big 40 gallons, waaaay too heavy). Neville is sort of solving my problem for me just a little bit... he's buried himself. It's what they do. -shrug-

Sure you can …. very easily , all you need is some 3/4" plywood , 4 lengths of screwbar (M16) , 16 x M16 nuts , 16x M16 washers , and a drill.

Drill 4 holes to accommodate the screwbar , insert the screwbars and level the 2 pieces of plywood using nuts and washers under each sheet, when happy with the level and distance off ground of each sheet of plywood , tighten the nuts onto the upper washers so you from a strong and rigid shelving frame , slip the top and bottom tanks into place .
st_ACK_VIVS_USING_THREADBAR.png

If the vivs are both top opening types (so often used by keepers in the USA) , it is easy to convert them to front opening , see this for how : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=244922&p=1863668#p1863668

The whole job can be done in an afternoon if you have tools and hardware needed on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom