Anyone use acrylic doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'll be building a new enclosure and considering acrylic (OPTIX brand) for the doors - does anyone use acrylic (plexiglass etc) for their doors? How well does it hold up to scratching?

jarich

Juvie Member
Not well at all unfortunately, but more importantly is that it doesnt do well over time with the heat. Ive tried using it on a couple different enclosures and after awhile I always end up wondering why I didnt just use glass. ;)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
jarich":1yi8u3e7 said:
Not well at all unfortunately, but more importantly is that it doesnt do well over time with the heat. Ive tried using it on a couple different enclosures and after awhile I always end up wondering why I didnt just use glass. ;)

:banghead:
Thanks for saving me the regret

What thickness glass do you use? Tempered or not? I want to say the glass I got last time was 1/8" Tempered and cost about $75+ for both panels... so the $20 acrylic panels were pretty attractive.

jarich

Juvie Member
Depends on the size of the pane, but if it's not too big I usually go with 1/8", yes. That seems crazy that two small panes cost you that much! How big were they?!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
jarich":u7axpvig said:
Depends on the size of the pane, but if it's not too big I usually go with 1/8", yes. That seems crazy that two small panes cost you that much! How big were they?!

Just for the 4x2x2 - so about 24x24ish. it may have been closer to 60? It's been a few years and I had to shop around - they were sill cheapest. Maybe I need to look harder this time. lol I do remember it was the tempering that made it cost much more - needed to be special orded

jarich

Juvie Member
Ya, they have to cut it to size before tempering, so it makes it much more expensive if its an odd size you are looking for. To be honest, I dont know if Id be that worried about tempering it with a dragon. They arent big lizards and dont generally run right into the glass or slam into it, so Im not sure its really necessary. Id almost just go with a slightly thicker pane of regular glass.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
jarich":skwax1jo said:
Ya, they have to cut it to size before tempering, so it makes it much more expensive if its an odd size you are looking for. To be honest, I dont know if Id be that worried about tempering it with a dragon. They arent big lizards and dont generally run right into the glass or slam into it, so Im not sure its really necessary. Id almost just go with a slightly thicker pane of regular glass.

We weren't sure how would go (cage is on the floor, have a cat and I'm kinda clumsy) but it doesn't seem like to been a risk after all - I might just get regular glass this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom