anyone have a idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessicaJ

I don't know if this is the right place but sadly I don't think a Bearded Dragon will be coming in my family :( my mom and dad don't get how fun and cool reptiles are and I can't convince them because they don't get it,anyone know how to convince 2 parents to give their 10 year old daughter a bearded dragon??

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Obviously I don't know what would work with your parents, but here's what
my friend's son did to convince them to let him have a cornsnake as a pet:

He wrote up a actual "proposal" paper which laid out all the information.
-- Why he wanted a cornsnake
-- Lots of cornsnake information (temperament, feeding, housing, handling, etc)
-- How (step by step) he would care for the snake, including paying for all the
costs involved (this would be especially important for a dragon...they cost a lot
more than a cornsnake to care for properly...feeders can get expensive, plus all the
other initial and on-going expenses for enclosures, lights, heating, vet costs, etc)

Basically he showed his parents that he had done enough required research to be able
to correctly care for the snake, that he had read up on and understood both the responsibilities
and the costs involved, that he was mature enough to accept the multiple-year responsibility
of caring for an animal, and that he was still wanting to have one after doing all that research.

Next, he got them to take him to a local reptile expo. This let them see other reptile enthusiasts
with their animals and allowed them to interact with some of the reptiles themselves.

[this can be a big one -- having them interact with a beardie can often make a big difference
in their opinions about their personalities and temperments]

After all that, his parents decided to make him wait for at least 3 months (and to show that he
had saved up enough money for the initial costs and could continue to sustain enough money
for the on-going costs) and if he still wanted one after that time then he could get one (which he did).

JessicaJ

Original Poster
Soulwind":pgppz692 said:
Obviously I don't know what would work with your parents, but here's what
my friend's son did to convince them to let him have a cornsnake as a pet:

He wrote up a actual "proposal" paper which laid out all the information.
-- Why he wanted a cornsnake
-- Lots of cornsnake information (temperament, feeding, housing, handling, etc)
-- How (step by step) he would care for the snake, including paying for all the
costs involved (this would be especially important for a dragon...they cost a lot
more than a cornsnake to care for properly...feeders can get expensive, plus all the
other initial and on-going expenses for enclosures, lights, heating, vet costs, etc)

Basically he showed his parents that he had done enough required research to be able
to correctly care for the snake, that he had read up on and understood both the responsibilities
and the costs involved, that he was mature enough to accept the multiple-year responsibility
of caring for an animal, and that he was still wanting to have one after doing all that research.

Next, he got them to take him to a local reptile expo. This let them see other reptile enthusiasts
with their animals and allowed them to interact with some of the reptiles themselves.

[this can be a big one -- having them interact with a beardie can often make a big difference
in their opinions about their personalities and temperments]

After all that, his parents decided to make him wait for at least 3 months (and to show that he
had saved up enough money for the initial costs and could continue to sustain enough money
for the on-going costs) and if he still wanted one after that time then he could get one (which he did).

Hmm. thanks! Wait, my mom just got a job and said I can get money for doing things funny how things work out,My mom thinks she'll do the cleaning.... BUMP ALL DAT I clean the cage (Like a maid but also a ninja). all I have to buy is decor and lighting (My sister is giving me a cage and a baby bearded dragon) I'll show i can take care of a pet Now all I have to do is clean dog poop and clean the 2 litter boxes and the BIG test is cleaning dog poop (I do anything for a reptile ANYTHING). Last night I spent 3 hours looking on wiki readding about them and alot more! Thanks Wind

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
I certainly don't want to discourage you, but do be sure you've done
enough research and can actually handle the responsibility.

Dragons can be rather expensive. A young dragon can easily eat
30-50 feeder insects per day (or even more) -- that's a LOT of crickets
a week (or dubia or phoenix worms or etc...).

You'll have to keep a constant supply around, which means lots of trips to the pet store
(our local petco charges 10 cents per cricket -- that's $5.00 a day just in crickets),
plus a new $40.00 UV light every 6 months, plus, plus, plus.

You'll need to do daily cleanings of his enclosure and interact and play with him daily,
every day, 7 days a week, even if you don't feel like it, for the next 8 years or more.

If you are ready for all that, then by all means, talk to your parents about it. But please
be absolutely certain. There's nothing more heart-breaking than a sick and neglected dragon,
and I can't tell you how many ads I see on craigslist and other "classified ads" with parents
trying to get rid of a now unwanted dragon that their kids have gotten tired of caring for.

JessicaJ

Original Poster
Soulwind":pvqoa99w said:
I certainly don't want to discourage you, but do be sure you've done
enough research and can actually handle the responsibility.

Dragons can be rather expensive. A young dragon can easily eat
30-50 feeder insects per day (or even more) -- that's a LOT of crickets
a week (or dubia or phoenix worms or etc...).

You'll have to keep a constant supply around, which means lots of trips to the pet store
(our local petco charges 10 cents per cricket -- that's $5.00 a day just in crickets),
plus a new $40.00 UV light every 6 months, plus, plus, plus.

You'll need to do daily cleanings of his enclosure and interact and play with him daily,
every day, 7 days a week, even if you don't feel like it, for the next 8 years or more.

If you are ready for all that, then by all means, talk to your parents about it. But please
be absolutely certain. There's nothing more heart-breaking than a sick and neglected dragon,
and I can't tell you how many ads I see on craigslist and other "classified ads" with parents
trying to get rid of a now unwanted dragon that their kids have gotten tired of caring for.

I will never ever get tired of my dragon i've cared for aot of animals that i still have and love. (I'm not a sick and cruel person)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom