Anyone familiar with med doeses?

Subion

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
So I went to the vet yesterday over 3 hours away and found out lots of my beardies issues may be gaulbladder related after over 6 months of trying to get if sorted.

Some of you may remember me posting a few times on here over her having swollen limbs (mainly paws) and weak in them on and off. Her calcium is a little high still and no sign of gout. I kept telling vets it seems to always happens around when she would eat bugs more often. So yesterday they told me it looks like her liver may be a little discolored and she has a bunch of gunk in her gallbladder that is probally the issue.

Anyways when they sent me home they put her on 3 different meds (along with her heart meds). They told me in office that the new one she would take 1 twice a day and the other 2 once a day, before I left the office the assistant caught one of the labels and said it was suppose to be twice a day and had to correct it. When I got home I noticed 2 bottles said twice a day.so I just want to make sure the other bottle was correct. I tried to call back and they left her vet a message but when I called back right before close they were already out. Now they won’t be in until around tues at earliest. I was hoping someone may know these medicines and see if the doses and how many times she takes them seem correct.

I’ve already given her a dose of each but don’t want to overdose her giving a second dose if she’s not suppose to have it.

The meds are:

Furosemide .05ml 2x a day (I think this is the label they corrected but not sure)

Maximum milk thistle .15ml 2x a day

Ursodiol .06ml once daily

Also I have them spread out some when I give her. Would it be best to keep them spread out or at same time or how long they should be spread out.

I have messaged @Drache613 already but incase I don’t hear back before time for her next dose I was hoping someone may be familiar with theses.

Thanks.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
So I went to the vet yesterday over 3 hours away and found out lots of my beardies issues may be gaulbladder related after over 6 months of trying to get if sorted.

Some of you may remember me posting a few times on here over her having swollen limbs (mainly paws) and weak in them on and off. Her calcium is a little high still and no sign of gout. I kept telling vets it seems to always happens around when she would eat bugs more often. So yesterday they told me it looks like her liver may be a little discolored and she has a bunch of gunk in her gallbladder that is probally the issue.

Anyways when they sent me home they put her on 3 different meds (along with her heart meds). They told me in office that the new one she would take 1 twice a day and the other 2 once a day, before I left the office the assistant caught one of the labels and said it was suppose to be twice a day and had to correct it. When I got home I noticed 2 bottles said twice a day.so I just want to make sure the other bottle was correct. I tried to call back and they left her vet a message but when I called back right before close they were already out. Now they won’t be in until around tues at earliest. I was hoping someone may know these medicines and see if the doses and how many times she takes them seem correct.

I’ve already given her a dose of each but don’t want to overdose her giving a second dose if she’s not suppose to have it.

The meds are:

Furosemide .05ml 2x a day (I think this is the label they corrected but not sure)

Maximum milk thistle .15ml 2x a day

Ursodiol .06ml once daily

Also I have them spread out some when I give her. Would it be best to keep them spread out or at same time or how long they should be spread out.

I have messaged @Drache613 already but incase I don’t hear back before time for her next dose I was hoping someone may be familiar with theses.

Thanks.
@AHBD also helps with vet stuff i believe. i think i remember people saying that drache is online late at night or maybe just late in the day but either way it may be a few hours before you hear from her

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

I will try to get an email to you, a hectic weekend & week.
How is your girl doing? Do you think the meds are helping much yet?
I will need to check the doses for you, per recommended use. How long did they
say she will need to be on the Furosemide & Ursodiol?
The milk thistle can be given long term & is safe.

Tracie

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Hello!

Tracie
It’s no problem. I completely understand. I trust the vet just after they mixed up one label wanted to be absolutely sure all others were ok to be safe. The maximum milk thistle being the highest dose twice a day compared to the others were some what making me wonder.

She seems like she does better in some ways. Her swelling In her legs seems like it’s went down some. Been letting her bath every couple days and the other day she wanted off my hand to swim more. First time since we got back from the vet. I’ve also noticed she’s starting to feel like she has more resistances in her legs when I try to touch them. She use to just let me move them or leave them flop when I pick her up like they were wet noodles. You can definitely tell they feel stronger.

She hasn’t had much an appetite though since starting her meds and wanting to sleep more. I’m thinking between her medicine and it still only in the 50s here on warm days that is playing into it. Then other times I’ll check on her early morning when I go to give her the first dose and she’ll already have her eyes open under the blanket. After staying up to get all her morning doses she’s ready to go back to bed. Right now she’s comfy in bed lol.

Edit: she never gave an exact date on how long she’ll be on them. But she talked like she’d be on them at least until we go back on the 14th when they check her gallbladder again.

Attachments

• 3B38F226-DABE-4CBD-91C0-96B1BA1DF9B6.jpeg
    3B38F226-DABE-4CBD-91C0-96B1BA1DF9B6.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

I have your email up & am going to be sending it on friday.
What is her weight currently & I will check the doses for you. Do you have a picture
of the labels so I know the strength of the solutions?
Did you hear back from the vet as to how often to give the Milk Thistle?
That would be great news if some of her swelling has already gone down in her back
legs. Has her beard been dark at all?
I am sure that she is pretty tired, with being on the medications. Are you able to keep her
a little warmer overnight right now?

Tracie

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Hello!

I have your email up & am going to be sending it on friday.
What is her weight currently & I will check the doses for you. Do you have a picture
of the labels so I know the strength of the solutions?
Did you hear back from the vet as to how often to give the Milk Thistle?
That would be great news if some of her swelling has already gone down in her back
legs. Has her beard been dark at all?
I am sure that she is pretty tired, with being on the medications. Are you able to keep her
a little warmer overnight right now?

Tracie
I’ll get you a weight later today when she gets up. I just bought a little scale a few weeks ago but Havnt used it so I’m not sure how accurate it will be. The vet didn’t tell me last couple visits, all she said was she is a little over weight but with everything going on that’s fine since it’ll help her if she decides not to eat and the water meds won’t make her lose to much. I have not heard back about the milk thistle yet. Our phones been acting up a lot since the company has been updating stuff so I had to call yesterday to give a secondary number. For all I know they may have called already when the phones weren't getting calls.

Her swelling has definitely went down some. She will try to walk when she needs to where before she was either not moving or very weak she would almost look like she couldn’t put weight on her paws. Her beard has had a little more black in it but only back below her ears not the whole beard. Usually that’s only around time to go to bed or when she’s been swimming for a bit that I noticed.

When it’s cold here I have her in a heated blanket at night. Last night it was warmer than what it has been so she wasn’t in it. But I have a space heater I’ll turn on for a bit also to keep the heat up some. I think it was in the 80’s in her enclosure. If she seems cold I also have a bunch of hand warmers I’ll put one in with her so she’s definitely staying warm at night for most part. I’ll add the pics of her meds here. I gave 2 shots of all bottles so you can see the full instructions.

Thank you

Edit: I’ll have to get you the weight tomorrow night after work. Her scale I got didn’t come with the batteries like advertised and unfortunately I don’t have any that fit.

Attachments

• 2875EE30-D0FA-476E-AF14-82797BFA6484.jpeg
    2875EE30-D0FA-476E-AF14-82797BFA6484.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 79320204-EE92-4DC6-811E-4958929410C1.jpeg
    79320204-EE92-4DC6-811E-4958929410C1.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 53
  • B39DA478-7C96-4B8E-B210-082536657489.jpeg
    B39DA478-7C96-4B8E-B210-082536657489.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 9B4CFAE0-12A8-4E7E-A24B-7770298C3BB7.jpeg
    9B4CFAE0-12A8-4E7E-A24B-7770298C3BB7.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 58
  • D8E42084-53C5-4CD0-A254-DB67A23DB10D.jpeg
    D8E42084-53C5-4CD0-A254-DB67A23DB10D.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 54
  • EC044B07-7338-4421-BF73-FA52D0A50871.jpeg
    EC044B07-7338-4421-BF73-FA52D0A50871.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Fordispreme

Hello!

Tracie
(y)(y)(y)

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I'm not Tracie (vet tech) so I don't know the proper dose, but I am guessing the vet did not explain the dose versus the dosage. I work in the human medical field.

Dosage is the 0.05mL, 0.15mL, and 0.06mL. It is the key instruction for how to take the medicine as prescribed. The solution is premixed so you only need to follow the dosage, which will allow the correct dose.

Dose is the amount of the medicine in the solution. Your Furosimide dose is 2.5mg (50 × 0.05) twice daily for a total of 5mg daily as an example.

This is a good online calculator you can use to understand how many mg (dose) of medicine is being given. Use the liquid medicine part of the calculator. Dosage Calculator - How to Calculate Dosage?

Sometimes medical staff forget to go over this and since there was some sort of rushing with the labels I'm so sorry you didn't get a good explanation. Maybe you're familiar with the metric system so ignore me if you are

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks! Yes, DorgEndo, people don't usually explain those differences, I agree.
I will look for her weight, once you are able to get that. You can write it down here on
your thread, or just email it to me.
Thanks for showing the medication strengths of the solutions, I can help verify the doses
from that, with her weight.
That's great her swelling seems to have gone down some. I'm glad to hear her beard is
not dark most of the time so she hopefully is feeling pretty well right now.

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Hello,

Thanks! Yes, DorgEndo, people don't usually explain those differences, I agree.
I will look for her weight, once you are able to get that. You can write it down here on
your thread, or just email it to me.
Thanks for showing the medication strengths of the solutions, I can help verify the doses
from that, with her weight.
That's great her swelling seems to have gone down some. I'm glad to hear her beard is
not dark most of the time so she hopefully is feeling pretty well right now.

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie
Tracie I emailed you back. I had trouble getting her to hold still on the scale. Even though she acts like one of her legs are weak today. She acts like she doesn’t want to stretch out her leg or bend it where what I’m going to say is her elbow or knee cap lol. Not exactly sure what beardies are considered to have. she was fighting to get off the scale though so she will use it just trying not to and let’s her arm hang again when being held. She’s also laying around today like she’s beat and don’t want to move. I did get her go for a swim and potty but she’s not putting out as much of the white part like I would assume she would on the water meds. I’m hoping she maybe just made it sore or something how she slept yesterday and not getting ill again. Then again I’m giving her baths like every 2 days. I couldn’t get her completely on the scale, her tail was hanging off. But she is around 503g.

Attachments

• 1188BD9D-D527-4870-A865-EE9227903AAC.jpeg
    1188BD9D-D527-4870-A865-EE9227903AAC.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
I'm not Tracie (vet tech) so I don't know the proper dose, but I am guessing the vet did not explain the dose versus the dosage. I work in the human medical field.

Dosage is the 0.05mL, 0.15mL, and 0.06mL. It is the key instruction for how to take the medicine as prescribed. The solution is premixed so you only need to follow the dosage, which will allow the correct dose.

Dose is the amount of the medicine in the solution. Your Furosimide dose is 2.5mg (50 × 0.05) twice daily for a total of 5mg daily as an example.

This is a good online calculator you can use to understand how many mg (dose) of medicine is being given. Use the liquid medicine part of the calculator. Dosage Calculator - How to Calculate Dosage?

Sometimes medical staff forget to go over this and since there was some sort of rushing with the labels I'm so sorry you didn't get a good explanation. Maybe you're familiar with the metric system so ignore me if you are
I get that. I’m Just trying to be safe since I Havnt been able to get ahold of her vet. When they originally gave me the meds I was told she would take one 2x a day and the other 2 once a day. Then they gave me the meds and the assistant caught the label on one was wrong and marked as once a day instead of 2x a day. They had to reprint a correct label. But once I got home I had 2 bottles that said to give 2x a day which is the opposite of what I was told in clinic. So I don’t know if the vet misspoke, I misunderstood since I had a lot going on in my mind, or if they messed up one label they may have messed up and and typed the label wrong.

For ex. Med A was suppose to be 2x a day but they had it labeled as 1 time. So they reprinted a correct label for it. med b also says 2x a day. It has me wondering if it’s possible it was a typo that was suppose to be on med A originally and b is suppose to be once a day. Since med a was messed up and I was told only one med was suppose to be 2 times a day. I just don’t want to be giving her to much of something if it’s a typo and that’s my major concern.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am looking at the doses & will send an email tonight.
How is she doing this evening? Did the vet ever get back with you regarding the frequency
of the milk thistle dosing?
Thanks for sending the pictures of the x-rays to me, I will look over them!

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom