Any Problem Mixing Old Dubias in with New?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
My new shipment of dubias came in a couple days early, and I still have about 100 of the last order left--same roaches, same size, same vendor.

Is there any problem/danger in dumping the leftovers in with the new stock?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No issues at all. Even of they were from different vendors youd be OK

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
This is blowing my mind. ?

When the 1000 dubias arrived, I opened the burlap bag, and dumped them into a sterilite bin. Inevitably, some burlp fuzz gets mixed in, as do a few dead roach husks. I transferred the roaches into 3 containers I use: 2 quart size, and 1 half-gallon. Then I came into my office to post this thread/question. When I returned, both the burlap fuzz and the dead husks had all "floated" to the top of the seething roaches--easy to pick off and discard. :shock: :D

When cleaning up and putting things away, I temporarily put the (translucent) containers of roaches on my chair--4 ft. outside the enclosure. When I came back from getting another item, ZaRDoZ was glass-surfing in front of my chair, trying to bust through and get to those roaches! I didn't think he could even see them from that far, but he did. Must have been the motion at the bottoms of the containers.

It's been a week of "firsts" but I'll save that for another thread with pictures.

Still gotta stow the 500 supers, and feed him his supper.

ADDENDUM:
HOLY CHITIN, BATMAN!

I think I made a serious mistake ordering the Large size super worms--they're freakin' HUGE!
As I thought, ZaRDoZ had no trouble with them at all--slurped 'em down like spaghetti. He went for the supers first, and actually left a couple of roaches in his dish. Another first (for him)!

While the dubias were shipped in a burlap bag, the supers were in a white (duck cloth?) bag. There was some kind of superworm chow in there, but they also packed them in newspaper, which they seemed to prefer over the worm chow--overnight delivery, and the stuff was shredded. I now have newspaper gut loaded super worms. :x Newsprint ink doesn't contain lead anymore (not for years) but they also used colored ads/ink newspaper; I have no idea what the safety of that might be. Whatever happened to packing them in oatmeal like they used to when I was a kid?

The biggest problem with their size--that I wasn't prepared for--was how to repackage/store them. DW volunteered a carton of rolled oats, so I broke the 500 into 2 cans of 50, 1 (Symton) can of 100, and the other 295 in another half-gal sherbet container with holes drilled in the lid. (ZaRDoZ did his bit and ate the remaining 5 for supper.)

Dang, that's a LOTTA super worms! :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom