Any other pets?

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I have hissing cockroaches.
The reason why: I like insects, as well as arachnids. I was thinking about getting African train millipedes, or a jungle nymph (in case you don't know what this is, you can find this online; the jungle nymph is basically a giant grasshopper), and was also open to anything else in that area. However, what is available differs by country or also by state/ region within that country. Here in Chile, e.g. those two are not available. I also haven't seen any tarantulas being sold. In parts of the US, where I lived before, certain insects aren't allowed.
Once when ordering feeders for my beardie I came across an offer of getting approx. 20 hissing cockroaches of various sizes as an extra for just a few bucks. I ordered them. The tiny ones I fed them my dragon*, the larger ones I kept as pets in a small terrarium. In case they breed, I will feed the tiny ones my dragon.

Years ago, I had land hermit crabs. I liked them a lot, and I had a big enclosure for them. They were thriving and I loved watching them. Sadly, I had to find a new owner for them after a few years as I had to move long-distance and they weren't allowed on a plane and also shipping was not an option.
I had gotten hermit crabs again, but they are not available here.
When I was a teenager, I had cockatiels. Loved them, but I would not get any again. I also would not get a pet that strongly depends on his human, like a dog (despite I love them), just as I work long hours, and I often travel for work both internationally or to remote places and I couldn't take a dog with me. It would not be fair to a dog, a cockatiel and such. (My bearded dragon is fine with me sometimes not being there for a while, and my husband taking over the care.)

So this makes: my dragon Taco, 8 large hissing cockroaches, and a medium-sized aquarium with platy, a snail and small catfish.
In case I could find them, I might add another tank with some insects or arachnids. I will for sure not get another reptile as it is so hard to get the lamps here. (Not only expensive, but often simply not available for weeks, months at a time. If I would have to supply twice as much... no.) And also no dog or cat just as me being away that often.

*Regarding feeding hissing cockroaches to a bearded dragon: I have seen here some people advice against it. I guess this is the case as some people fed a fat hissing cockroach to their dragon as a treat: Absolutely don't do that, they are ways too large, the dragon can choke! I'm only feeding very small hissing cockroaches to my dragon, like when you order small dubias.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He is a schnauzer, and his name is scooby. He is smart but incredibly stubborn.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
@xp29
Sounds like: Typically Schnauzer?
My in-laws had ( :( ) Bernese Mountain dogs. Smart, gentle, and sometimes a bit but not overly stubborn. Kept, as it should be for that breed, with ample space at their small farm/ animal rescue station on the countryside.
Despite I myself never had a mammal as pet (!): I love dogs, I love cats, I love...
As my husband already often has phrased it: "The problem is... she loves all animals" :D
(Means: Not afraid of snakes, not afraid of dirty dog paws, no issue with cleaning out the hissing cockroaches tank, no issue with monitor lizard licking my hand (wasn't my pet), no issue with train millipede trying to go under my shirt (also wasn't my pet), no issue with rats climbing around on me (also not my pets)... :D The only thing that keeps me from having a certain pet is responsibility, things that are not working out, but not finding them (or feeder insects) ugly or disgusting or something.)

TotoTheBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toto
@xp29
Sounds like: Typically Schnauzer?
My in-laws had ( :( ) Bernese Mountain dogs. Smart, gentle, and sometimes a bit but not overly stubborn. Kept, as it should be for that breed, with ample space at their small farm/ animal rescue station on the countryside.
Despite I myself never had a mammal as pet (!): I love dogs, I love cats, I love...
As my husband already often has phrased it: "The problem is... she loves all animals" :D
(Means: Not afraid of snakes, not afraid of dirty dog paws, no issue with cleaning out the hissing cockroaches tank, no issue with monitor lizard licking my hand (wasn't my pet), no issue with train millipede trying to go under my shirt (also wasn't my pet), no issue with rats climbing around on me (also not my pets)... :D The only thing that keeps me from having a certain pet is responsibility, things that are not working out, but not finding them (or feeder insects) ugly or disgusting or something.)
We’re allot alike! :D I love pretty much any animal too (but I’m not sure how I’d feel about the train millipede… :p)

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
@TotoTheBeardie
The train millipede:
I had almost gotten it, saw it at a reptile/ exotics show - but it was the responsibility thing: It was already clear that we would be moving long-distance within a few months. A pet that lives for a long time, doesn't look particularly cute to many people, and cannot be taken on an airplane (just not allowed) isn't something I would get under these circumstances. Had already big issues rehoming the land hermit crabs as they were large (shell about the size of an average apple) and at that stage many people didn't consider them as "cute" anymore when they see the claws, the stalk eyes, and the moving mouth parts...
But generally, I love large insects and arachnids (and loved the big hermit crabs) where one can see very much "how they work". Was thus happy that I found the "hissers" :) Largest one 7 cm long now.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
this is Taela. he's about 6 1/2

284103363_5279417312171668_1532337904344939809_n.jpg

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
he's another rescue success story of ours. when we got him 4 years ago he had been surrendered to the local pet store. because he had been kept in a TINY cage with 5 other birds, he couldn't even fly. there was no room for him to use those wing muscles. he lives in a birdy condo now which is open all day unless we are not home. he definitely can fly now!

TotoTheBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toto
Aww, that’s great you rescued him, it hurts to know that there a people out there who are so ignorant and/or heartless, it’s great that there are people willing to save those neglected animals like you!

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom