Any info on Flukes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
Hi all,

we've just been given the all clear for Ollie on pinworms - he still has a few, but she assures me that this is normal and requires no more meds.

However, she did find a few fluke eggs...she said to give it 3 months and then re-test to see if the count has got higher. If it has we will have to treat.

Can anyone give me any info on how difficult these are to treat, what the meds are, how harsh the meds are and how the heck he got them?!?

i'm still puzzled as to how he got the pinworms let alone another test showing that he's got these fluke things!

Thanks all,

Nikki

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Nikki,

Oh Ollie is having more problems again? Sorry to hear that.
At least the pinworm level was low & doesn't need to be treated.
As far as the flukes, they are normally ingested. They are commonly found in snails, & in aquatic turtles & reptiles that eat frogs & fish.
Usually fluke eggs are found orally in the mouth cavity. If they are found in fecal matter, it is not near as common. So I am not sure exactly how in the world Ollie got flukes in his system. What feeders do you use?
Anyway, they are treated with Droncit, at 5-8mg/kg.
Did she give you the level or count of the flukes? These do need to be taken care of as they can cause renal damage & or chronic interstial nephritis.

Good luck. Let me know how things go.

Tracie

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
OMG!

I never knew it was that serious. We feed him superworms, wax worms and locusts. He doesn't go outside on the floor and his veg is always carefully washed.

So i'll get him back to the vets then ASAP.

Thanks so much Tracie!

Nikki

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Nikki,

Hm, maybe the locusts?? I am just not sure. Something must have gotten cross contaminated somehow. Maybe the greens were contaminated somehow, sometimes, it is impossible to know for sure.
Let me know how things are going.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom