Antsy

Delta250

Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Hello!

My 7 month old female bearded dragon has been pretty antsy lately! She keeps glass surfing and seems to want out all the time. I usually let her out and let her roam my room, but she’ll also kind of surf my wall. She also has not be eating as well as she has. She suddenly doesn’t want her roaches and is barely eating her greens. She’ll eat some medium supers, but I don’t want to just feed her worms, but I also want her to get her protein. She won’t always eat worms though, seems to be pretty sporadic.

I’m guessing this may be spring fever? I believe her lighting and temps are fine. She’s got the Reptisun t5 HO for UVB. Her basking temps are 100-105, cool temps are 75-80. She is currently in a 67 gallon tank. She’s definitely driving me a little bonkers LOL. Let me know what you guys think!

Beardie name(s)
Odie
Well, I'd say either shes just got a little antsy and it should die down, or she might be maturing and ready to lay? but I'm unsure if they even can at 7 months. I would say my beardie gets little antsy spritz every once in awhile, so only go to a vet if it continues for a long time!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello!

My 7 month old female bearded dragon has been pretty antsy lately! She keeps glass surfing and seems to want out all the time. I usually let her out and let her roam my room, but she’ll also kind of surf my wall. She also has not be eating as well as she has. She suddenly doesn’t want her roaches and is barely eating her greens. She’ll eat some medium supers, but I don’t want to just feed her worms, but I also want her to get her protein. She won’t always eat worms though, seems to be pretty sporadic.

I’m guessing this may be spring fever? I believe her lighting and temps are fine. She’s got the Reptisun t5 HO for UVB. Her basking temps are 100-105, cool temps are 75-80. She is currently in a 67 gallon tank. She’s definitely driving me a little bonkers LOL. Let me know what you guys think!
If she is not eating that is a issue- are you taking surface basking temps? You want the surface temps taken w a digital probe thermometer- Also where is the uvb is it in the tank or top of screen? Once we get lighting ruled out we can go into other causes

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
If she is not eating that is a issue- are you taking surface basking temps? You want the surface temps taken w a digital probe thermometer- Also where is the uvb is it in the tank or top of screen? Once we get lighting ruled out we can go into other causes
Yes, I use a probe to measure surface temps. The UVB is on top of the screen. The fixture I have for it also has a reflector if that helps a bit?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes, I use a probe to measure surface temps. The UVB is on top of the screen. The fixture I have for it also has a reflector if that helps a bit?
With the UVB being on top of screen is the screen a wide hole type or a fine mesh like a screen door? This is going to make a difference in the rays shes getting and is very important - screens block out 30% of the rays

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
With the UVB being on top of screen is the screen a wide hole type or a fine mesh like a screen door? This is going to make a difference in the rays shes getting and is very important - screens block out 30% of the rays
Gotcha, unfortunately it is fine mesh. I’m guessing I should hang it in the enclosure then? How would I go about doing that? I’d be worried it would fall. Thank you! 😅

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Gotcha, unfortunately it is fine mesh. I’m guessing I should hang it in the enclosure then? How would I go about doing that? I’d be worried it would fall. Thank you! 😅
Try this stuff its been hard to find but it works really good
this is like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture
or you can use these things
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties
distance should be 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Try this stuff its been hard to find but it works really good
this is like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture
or you can use these things
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties
distance should be 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece
Awesome thank you! Hopefully that’ll help! I thought I saw that T5 bulbs are strong enough and can be mounted on top of the screen. Thank you for educating me 😄. I made a vet appointment anyways just in case! Appreciate it again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Awesome thank you! Hopefully that’ll help! I thought I saw that T5 bulbs are strong enough and can be mounted on top of the screen. Thank you for educating me 😄. I made a vet appointment anyways just in case! Appreciate it again!
Only if the screen is a wide hole type

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Only if the screen is a wide hole type
Hello, I am back haha! Around 10 days after this post she gradually went back to normal. Started eating again and relaxed a bit. She even had a vet visit and I was told she was very healthy! Vet did recommend a blood test for raised calcium levels and the X-rays to see if she has any follicles in the future. She was great for a bit, but on 6/7 she started to do the glass surfing again and is getting SUPER picky about food again or just refusing it. Will only eat super worms and hornworms.

I did correct the lighting and mounted the UVB inside the enclosure, but she also LOVES to go outside so we’ve been getting natural sunlight every day. Could this be hormones? She also has a dig box, but won’t dig in it, she’ll be 9 months on the 25th. Sorry to bother, she’s driving me crazy!

Attached a picture of her, because she is quite the stunning girl. 🧡🧡

Attachments

• 1E320431-E8C8-49EA-ACA1-B9FF713C5070.jpeg
    1E320431-E8C8-49EA-ACA1-B9FF713C5070.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 88

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
She is very pretty.
She may just be bored, try giving her some toys for enrichment. Small balls or balls that you can put a bug in, small stuffed toys ect. (Make sure nothing is small enough to be a choke hazard).
Bearded dragons are curious animals abd need to be stimulated.

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
She is very pretty.
She may just be bored, try giving her some toys for enrichment. Small balls or balls that you can put a bug in, small stuffed toys ect. (Make sure nothing is small enough to be a choke hazard).
Bearded dragons are curious animals abd need to be stimulated.
I can see that. I’ll probably get one of those beardie balls and see if she likes it! I may sound silly, but I also do little “training” sessions, like practicing recall using worms as treats. Not sure if they can actually learn it, but it’s entertaining and gets her to move! She also goes out a few hours every day to run around the yard (she poops out there too so it’s very convent for me lol). Thanks for your suggestions. :)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom