Ant Problem Increased

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
I found about 18 dead Dubia roaches today. They didn’t all die yesterday but between cleanings I usually get 5 not 18. I noticed there were ants at the bottom of the container. The same tiny ants I found in my baby colony. Then I saw a trail leading up the corner, and more on the top. Then I investigated the cabinet I had everything in, that shelf had more ants… I couldn’t find the source but I wiped up the top of the container to put the lid on, and there were SO MANY. There was also a white/tan powder. What do I do?? Will ant poison hurt my roaches/dragon?

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I wouldn't use poison, it isn't worth the risk. Ants are hard to get rid of even without having to worry about pets or dubias

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I found about 18 dead Dubia roaches today. They didn’t all die yesterday but between cleanings I usually get 5 not 18. I noticed there were ants at the bottom of the container. The same tiny ants I found in my baby colony. Then I saw a trail leading up the corner, and more on the top. Then I investigated the cabinet I had everything in, that shelf had more ants… I couldn’t find the source but I wiped up the top of the container to put the lid on, and there were SO MANY. There was also a white/tan powder. What do I do?? Will ant poison hurt my roaches/dragon?
You can get some Terro bait stations and place in the cupboard where they are here is a link to the ant bait - we use both liquid you put on a paper towel and these bait stations - I have never had a issue w/ them getting into my roach aquarium --- but I have had them in the house around my LR door at one time - but since we had a new door put on I have not noticed them --
what are you keeping the roaches in? I am thinking you are going to haft to start all over again w/ the roaches tho -- you dont want the roaches contaminated w/ the ants or the ant killer but you do need to get rid of them -- I would find a different place to keep the roaches now and a different container --- we need to ask some others on this topic
@CooperDragon
@Claudiusx
@AHBD

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You can get some Terro bait stations and place in the cupboard where they are here is a link to the ant bait - we use both liquid you put on a paper towel and these bait stations - I have never had a issue w/ them getting into my roach aquarium --- but I have had them in the house around my LR door at one time - but since we had a new door put on I have not noticed them --
what are you keeping the roaches in? I am thinking you are going to haft to start all over again w/ the roaches tho -- you dont want the roaches contaminated w/ the ants or the ant killer but you do need to get rid of them -- I would find a different place to keep the roaches now and a different container --- we need to ask some others on this topic
@CooperDragon
@Claudiusx
@AHBD
I am keeping them in a plastic container that has a lid with a net to let in air. Tomorrow I am going to take out everything and remove the roaches one by one instead of shaking them off. Do you think they got into my superworms too? Should I not feed the roaches to my dragon?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am keeping them in a plastic container that has a lid with a net to let in air. Tomorrow I am going to take out everything and remove the roaches one by one instead of shaking them off. Do you think they got into my superworms too? Should I not feed the roaches to my dragon?
If the roaches are contaminated w/ the ant killer no do not feed them - please post a pic of the container w/ them so we can see what your talking about w/ the white powder stuff - I would get them in a 10 gallon aquarium and put the aquarium in a different place - are you keeping them in the same room as the dragon?

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
C97675CE-CB21-4011-A79E-177DFFB8F6F6.jpeg
C895936C-24AB-4A8A-9D7D-5BC4EA449F52.jpeg

On the top, that black corner is a net. I haven’t used any ant killers yet and I am just about to clean everything out. I couldn’t find the powder but if I see it when I clean everything then I’ll send a picture. My dragon’s tank is sitting on a large floor cabinet with his feeders inside the cabinet on the bottom shelf.
A904C21E-57AD-4000-8321-DC108E22D373.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
View attachment 72429 View attachment 72430
On the top, that black corner is a net. I haven’t used any ant killers yet and I am just about to clean everything out. I couldn’t find the powder but if I see it when I clean everything then I’ll send a picture. My dragon’s tank is sitting on a large floor cabinet with his feeders inside the cabinet on the bottom shelf. View attachment 72431
Ok wow I am baffled how they got in it must of been thru the air vents and I would move them --- we still need some others to chime in here
@AHBD @Claudiusx @CooperDragon

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok wow I am baffled how they got in it must of been thru the air vents and I would move them --- we still need some others to chime in here
@AHBD @Claudiusx @CooperDragon
Cleaning them out at the moment. There is SO MANY ants and like 90% of the babies who were born in there are dead. I’ve been checking the roaches for ants on them but even doing that, I found one in the clean container I’m moving the roaches into. Are the ants killing the roaches? how do I ensure they’re all off?
89401725-F841-4CB6-B6C7-4A71A8807981.jpeg

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Cleaning them out at the moment. There is SO MANY ants and like 90% of the babies who were born in there are dead. I’ve been checking the roaches for ants on them but even doing that, I found one in the clean container I’m moving the roaches into. Are the ants killing the roaches? how do I ensure they’re all off? View attachment 72433
I counted about 11 teen-adults dead and over 25 dead babies. I’ve only found about 5 babies alive in this colony. I have yet to check my baby only colony.

Edit : BABY COLONY INTACT!!! ABOUT 15 OR MORE STILL ALIVE!!!

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I counted about 11 teen-adults dead and over 25 dead babies. I’ve only found about 5 babies alive in this colony. I have yet to check my baby only colony.
Boy I dont know how to help you here we need the people I flagged to respond maybe they can help better than I

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
we had this happen too. we took care of them by making sure that food was only in the roach bin at night, cleaning the bin and cupboard daily with a solution of dawn dish soap and peppermint essential oil, and smashing every ant we saw.

after we got them 100% out of the cupboard and bin, we set out the terro traps behind the enclosure to get any that were thinking of heading into it. haven't seen any since.

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
we had this happen too. we took care of them by making sure that food was only in the roach bin at night, cleaning the bin and cupboard daily with a solution of dawn dish soap and peppermint essential oil, and smashing every ant we saw.

after we got them 100% out of the cupboard and bin, we set out the terro traps behind the enclosure to get any that were thinking of heading into it. haven't seen any since.
Okay, I will do the same thanks. Do the ants not come at night?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm not sure what to do once they're in the colony but I had some come in my house through a teeny space in the window and I sprayed them with a Dawn dish soap/vinegar mix. It stopped them in their tracks. The ant bait traps are good as well.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Okay, I will do the same thanks. Do the ants not come at night?
they did a little, but it was a way to make sure the roaches did get gut loaded. it helped to not have food in the bin 24/7. and cleaning every morning took care of the trails the ants follow each other on.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom