Ant poison issue with roaches

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
So I’ve had ants in my home off and on for a while. They mostly went away except for my bedroom, I would notice some dead in my water cup in the morning 😐. But I didn’t see them anywhere during the day until now. In with the roaches 🫣 gross. Luckily there aren’t that many of them. I’m going to clean it out today. I have a pretty serious concern about poison though. We have laid out some liquid ant poison traps in the past that are supposed to “kill the colony” meaning they don’t die right away. They run back home and spread the poison or something. It’s borax. I’m not sure but I’m worried some of these ants could’ve consumed poison and spread it in with the roaches. I laid out a new ant poison trap a couple of days ago but I haven’t seen any activity so I don’t know if they’ve even touched it or been in my bathroom. The reason I haven’t checked on the roaches recently is because Clyde started brumating.

Would it be safe for me to get rid of the ants, make sure no more poison gets laid out, and assume the roaches will be safe/clean to eat in a couple months from now? Like I said, not many ants were in there but I don’t know how long they’ve been going in with the roaches and if they’ve been eating poison first or not.

If I had to throw out the roaches I’m not even sure what I would do because I don’t want to just kill them but I can’t just let them loose in the trash.

I’m going to try and use scented stuff to keep the ants away. Unfortunately the sent pouches are also supposed to repel roaches too so I’m not sure how much it will affect them. I’m thinking I’ll keep the scent stuff near the door to the cabinet they’re in but not in the cabinet so it hopefully doesn’t affect them too much.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
There was a thread about ants a while back, AHBD recommended using petroleum jelly around the top of the tote the roaches are in. Like an inch and a half band all the way around. It won't get rid of the ants but it should keep them out of yor dubias

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
There was a thread about ants a while back, AHBD recommended using petroleum jelly around the top of the tote the roaches are in. Like an inch and a half band all the way around. It won't get rid of the ants but it should keep them out of yor dubias
great advice i have Vaseline i’ll do that

anyone else have any advice on the borax issue? it is probably not a big deal, i’m just hoping it will be pooped out of the roaches did somehow come into contact with any postponed ants.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I doubt they carried any into your roaches anyways, they would have been there looking for food, any that got the poison probably went back to their nest

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I doubt they carried any into your roaches anyways, they would have been there looking for food, any that got the poison probably went back to their nest
thank you thank makes sense and makes me feel a whole lot better ❤️

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom