Amputation or home treatment?!

Mattie V

Hello. We have had our bearded dragon for 3 weeks. I noticed while giving him a bath he has what looks like tail rot. He's about 7 inches and young. He's growing well and eating and VERY active. We clean his cage religiously and hes getting supplements also. We got him from pet store. I'm attaching photos. Color hasn't changed. He is having his first shed with us now. I'm not sure if I should start home treatment or take for amputation? I'm looking for an exotic vet now in case. He very happy (except baths) right now.
20220412_103929.jpg
20220412_100810.jpg
20220412_100635.jpg
20220412_103834.jpg
Any opinions would be highly appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello. We have had our bearded dragon for 3 weeks. I noticed while giving him a bath he has what looks like tail rot. He's about 7 inches and young. He's growing well and eating and VERY active. We clean his cage religiously and hes getting supplements also. We got him from pet store. I'm attaching photos. Color hasn't changed. He is having his first shed with us now. I'm not sure if I should start home treatment or take for amputation? I'm looking for an exotic vet now in case. He very happy (except baths) right now. View attachment 69484 View attachment 69485 View attachment 69486 View attachment 69487 Any opinions would be highly appreciated!
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Mattie, he sure is a pretty little guy/girl and it sounds like you're taking great care of him. ! At this point it's not really apparent whether this is going to get worse so go ahead with some diluted betadine soaks. If he sits still for you, you can put the solution in a small cup or glass or empty pill bottle [ mix 1 part betadine to 10 parts warm water, approximately ] and just let his tail dangle in it. If he won't cooperate for that you can just put Neospoorin on it with a very tiny drop of betadine mixed with the Neosporin. See how it goes but if it gets worse + creeps up the tail it would be best to have a vet nip it off.

Mattie V

Original Poster
Hi Mattie, he sure is a pretty little guy/girl and it sounds like you're taking great care of him. ! At this point it's not really apparent whether this is going to get worse so go ahead with some diluted betadine soaks. If he sits still for you, you can put the solution in a small cup or glass or empty pill bottle [ mix 1 part betadine to 10 parts warm water, approximately ] and just let his tail dangle in it. If he won't cooperate for that you can just put Neospoorin on it with a very tiny drop of betadine mixed with the Neosporin. See how it goes but if it gets worse + creeps up the tail it would be best to have a vet nip it off.
Thank you! I'm going to start tonight. How often do I need to do this? I have an appointment with a reptile vet on the 20th. That's the soonest I could find anywhere. I wanted to get a vet check done anyways. Thanks for the response!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! I'd put the ointment on once a day, just dilute the tiniest bit of betadine + water and mix a drop with the tiny dab of Neosporin using a Q-tip.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

His tail should be fine but definitely keep some antibiotic ointment on the end to help in case
there is some infection going on.
He is certainly a little cutie indeed! Is his appetite doing good right now?

Let us know how the vet visit goes.
Tracie

Mattie V

Original Poster
Hello,

His tail should be fine but definitely keep some antibiotic ointment on the end to help in case
there is some infection going on.
He is certainly a little cutie indeed! Is his appetite doing good right now?

Let us know how the vet visit goes.
Tracie
Thank you. Yes he eats like a pig! Lol He's very active and happy. I will update after the vets. I have started the neosporin.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, I am glad to hear he is eating well & is active. That is always positive so he should be
just fine. The neosporin should be helpful as well.

Tracie

Mattie V

Original Poster
Hello,

Great, I am glad to hear he is eating well & is active. That is always positive so he should be
just fine. The neosporin should be helpful as well.

Tracie
So the small black part of his tail fell off. It looks like new now. He is shedding his tail at the moment. I'm not sure how to post an updated photo?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great his tail looks better & is shedding now.
Have you tried to upload another picture or image here on the message area? The icon "insert image"
should allow for that.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, his tail is definitely going to shed! If the end of his tail still appears a bit off you can continue to
use the neosporin until his shed is completed, then see how it looks after that.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom