Am i just an over protective new mum ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i'm new to the site and new to beardies, i have a 9 month old beardie called Rod who i have had now for 2 weeks. He has been very happy for the last 2 weeks and loves nothing more than a snuggle, but last night and this morning i have noticed him changing colour quite a lot he goes really dark on his back and tail, his beard dosent however change colour. I havent noticed a poo for 2 days but there doses seem to be a fair bit of locust debris. am i just being a paranoid new mum or should i be worried about him he just dosent seem hiself at all today and ive never noticed him change colour like this b4. He is feeding just fine although he really wouldnt eat his veggies if he didnt have to and i am feeding him on locusts around 5 -6 a day and missing 2 days a week, which was how he has been fed buy the person from who i brought him.
I have been dusting his locusts with repti calcium
He has a uv tube 12hrs on 12hrs off
He has a sun glo basking lamp which is kept on a habisat thermostat which has a probe in his viv at the same height as his basking spot and he is kept at 92 during the day and down to 84 at night as again he has always been kept at .
And he is being kept on calcium sand
Again he is being fed on locusts 5-6 a day for 5 days a week miss 2 days as he always has done
Also being given a variety of greens cabbage, kale, brocoli, water cress, a bit of grated carrot every few days and loads of other things that i cant think of right now.
Any help anyoe could give me would be greatly appreciated
Toni

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Does he get dark when he'd been out of his tank for a long period of time? Typically when beardies body temperature starts to drop, their colors would turn dark to the point of being almost black.

mylittlerodney

Original Poster
No he's doing whilst he is in his viv ive been looking all over the net and it seems to be the common thought that it is stress related but i dont understand what has changed to make him stressed out i am wondering if it is delayed house moving stress ?????????

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Do you also see markings or lines on his belly, a.k.a. stress marks? If so, then yes, it's is stress related; if not, then perhaps the temps aren't high enough. And considering you're seeing locust leftovers in his poo, you might want to up the heat intensity. What are you using to measure the temps? Some beardies like it really hot, while some would be gaping at 100°F.

mylittlerodney

Original Poster
Yes he does get marks on his belly to, he seems really frightened at everything that moves, but this has only been since last night/this morning, he has been absolutley before hand. i havent really seen any poo for about 2-3 days now, but there does seem to debris on the floor of his viv so he must be going i just think it is getting buried in his sand ? his temp is measured by a probe in his viv which is controlled by a habistat thermostat and he is definatley warm enough because he does sit with his mouth open from time to time. this is driving me nuts i am going to seek the advice of the man who i brought him from tommorrow as he knows him better than anyone and i guess as he keeps all sorts of reptiles he will have a good idea of what the prob is.
Thanks ever such a lot for your replies i really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom