Am I doing this right? Is he growing?

Cory&Daryl

Beardie name(s)
Daryl
I have had Daryl for about a Month and i think he is 2 months old i am not sure. He is only small (13.5cm) so (5.5inches) and i don’t think he is growing or i am feeding him enough.I feed him live crickets (10) every morning before school and i give him fresh Greens and either cucumber, carrots or other veggies that i change everyday. And in the afternoon i feed him super worms (1-3). He poops regularly but he hasn’t grown at all.

Attachments

• DE79E23B-11CE-4E0E-941E-05832BC17F6D.jpeg
    DE79E23B-11CE-4E0E-941E-05832BC17F6D.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 127

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I wouldn’t feed him super worms until he’s bigger, they don’t recommend supers until they are like 16inches long. (Impaction ricks) 10 crickets a day is not nearly enough. You need to be offering the crickets 2-3 daily as much as the baby can eat. When mine was a few months old she ate between 50-100 insects everyday. Lots of protein is key right now. Salads are good to get them use too now but bugs are a priority. If you need a good place to buy crickets online or dubia roaches online I can send you some links. I use to get crickets from premiumcrickets.com there’s lots of overnight deals, on like 1000 overnighted for like 35 bucks shipping and all. They also do 250-500. Plus they are healthy. When you get crickets from a petco or petsmart your rolling the dice they could have parasites and be sickly and you’d never know. They don’t maintain their bins well at those big chain stores.

Cory&Daryl

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daryl
I wouldn’t feed him super worms until he’s bigger, they don’t recommend supers until they are like 16inches long. (Impaction ricks) 10 crickets a day is not nearly enough. You need to be offering the crickets 2-3 daily as much as the baby can eat. When mine was a few months old she ate between 50-100 insects everyday. Lots of protein is key right now. Salads are good to get them use too now but bugs are a priority. If you need a good place to buy crickets online or dubia roaches online I can send you some links. I use to get crickets from premiumcrickets.com there’s lots of overnight deals, on like 1000 overnighted for like 35 bucks shipping and all. They also do 250-500. Plus they are healthy. When you get crickets from a petco or petsmart your rolling the dice they could have parasites and be sickly and you’d never know. They don’t maintain their bins well at those big chain stores.
Thankyou so much for the reply !! i have given all my superpowers to my friend who has a dragon. I have a local reptile store who i buy crickets off and The past few days i have been giving way more like 20 crickets. But now i will definitely make sure he gets way way way more!!

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
no problem that’s what we are here for, and yeah they are suppose to be fed until they stop at that age they will eat eat eat at that age. Yeah super worms and meal worms are no good especially at that age. I don’t even feed meal worms to my adult they are very hard chitin skin and very hard to digest. Hornworms are ok just make sure that they are no thicker than width of eye. Rule of thumb too with feeding anything else is no longer than the gap between the dragons eyes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thankyou so much for the reply !! i have given all my superpowers to my friend who has a dragon. I have a local reptile store who i buy crickets off and The past few days i have been giving way more like 20 crickets. But now i will definitely make sure he gets way way way more!!
You want him eating salads too - I would add some BSFL to his diet -- they are small so I would order a small amount like medium first as he gets bigger you can go to large but start w/ medium first -- add them to the tops of his salads right in front of him and hand feed him as well that will start the process of hand taming him --- are you dusting the crickets? they need to be dusted w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene - the calcium D 3 ONCE per feeding 5 x per week and vitamins ONCE per day 2 x per week -- but please make sure you are using a long tube fixture for a UVB NO coils please they are inadequate for a UVB -- what size is your tank ?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
This is a very knowledgeable person @KarrieRee she knows what she’s talking about 😁 bsfl are the greatest thing you can give em they don’t need to dust them because they are all calcium and full of protein and that is the easiest way to get them eating the greens out that age

Last edited:

Cory&Daryl

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daryl
You want him eating salads too - I would add some BSFL to his diet -- they are small so I would order a small amount like medium first as he gets bigger you can go to large but start w/ medium first -- add them to the tops of his salads right in front of him and hand feed him as well that will start the process of hand taming him --- are you dusting the crickets? they need to be dusted w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene - the calcium D 3 ONCE per feeding 5 x per week and vitamins ONCE per day 2 x per week -- but please make sure you are using a long tube fixture for a UVB NO coils please they are inadequate for a UVB -- what size is your tank ?
I will look to see if the store has Bsfl or if not i will order some. I do dust all his crickets with calcium and D3. His UBV is also a Tube the covers his entire tank . The size is 60cm, 45cm,45cm but i am already on the look for a bigger one.

Cory&Daryl

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daryl
This is a very knowledgeable person @KarrieRee she knows what she’s talking about 😁 bsfl are the greatest thing you can give em they don’t need to dust them because they are all calcium and full of protein and that is the easiest way to get them eating the greens out that age
Thankyou so much. Do you know where to buy any Bslf as i can’t seem to find any.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Live is always best in my opinion. They get most of their moisture from their bugs and greens, so dehydrated seems counterproductive in that regard. Plus live prompts their hunting instinct and has all the nutrients intact.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I agree with Smaug lives better but Nowadays they have a very good way of drying them while Keeping most of the nutrients so they are still pretty good and cheaper. Live bugs help hydrate like mentioned above, Also the stimuli of eating alive insect. Yeah find you a bigger tank they grow quickly I started my baby off in a 40 gallon within a matter of a couple months she needed bigger She eventually ended up in her permanent home which is a 4 x 2 x 2. Exactly what kind of UVB are you running I know you mentioned a tube but there’s a couple brands that make tube fluorescence as well is there any Arcadia or a Zoo med if so is it a T5 or a T8

Last edited:

Cory&Daryl

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daryl
I agree with Smaug lives better but Nowadays they have a very good way of drying them while Keeping most of the nutrients so they are still pretty good and cheaper. Live bugs help hydrate like mentioned above, Also the stimuli of eating alive insect. Yeah find you a bigger tank they grow quickly I started my baby off in a 40 gallon within a matter of a couple months she needed bigger She eventually ended up in her permanent home which is a 4 x 2 x 2. Exactly what kind of UVB are you running I know you mentioned a tube but there’s a couple brands that make tube fluorescence as well is there any Arcadia or a Zoo med if so is it a T5 or a T8
The box says it is a T8 18W UBV 10.0

Cory&Daryl

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daryl
Live is always best in my opinion. They get most of their moisture from their bugs and greens, so dehydrated seems counterproductive in that regard. Plus live prompts their hunting instinct and has all the nutrients intact.
Hey i have a question. This is what he looked like the day i got him and he looks way chunkier now but i just wanted to know if this is what baby beared dragons are meant to look like or he was under feed at his old home.

Attachments

• 005C8E9A-E83D-4209-BC73-285153005E81.jpeg
    005C8E9A-E83D-4209-BC73-285153005E81.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 80

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Hey i have a question. This is what he looked like the day i got him and he looks way chunkier now but i just wanted to know if this is what baby beared dragons are meant to look like or he was under feed at his old home.
He does look a little skinny in that picture. I don't think he was starving, I don't see any ribs or anything, but if he was housed with other babies he may not have gotten as much food as some of the others.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom