Always hungry.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
So, Toothless is about 3 months. (According to his weight and length which roughly 60grams and is about a foot long) and we feed him a fat salad everyday, (kale, turnip greens, mustard and collard greens, bell pepper, and carrots) and feed him crickets and dubia roaches daily.

We ordered 500 crickets from chewy 10 days ago and he's down to maybe 20 left. There weren't really many dead ones, maybe a dozen. It seems like he is ALWAYS hungry and always eats really well, he'll eat 15 crickets and 10 roaches (or more) if I let him, in one sitting. Some mornings, he eats close to 20 crickets. I feed him at 10:30, then again at 2 or 3 and again at about 6, I at least offer the food. And he ALWAYS takes it. Is it normal for him to be so damn hungry all of the time.? So in a good day, he'll eat roughly 50 crickets a day and probably 20 or 30 roaches a day, I'd say, give or take a few. On top of a good chunk of his salad. It's wild how much he eats and how hungry he seems to be all the time. I just want to make sure I'm not under feeding or something and thats why he's so hungry.

Photo for attention and to show off his chunky flappydoodles under his chin.๐Ÿ˜‚

Attachments

• 1665695824776652473543389443502.jpg
    1665695824776652473543389443502.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 127

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So, Toothless is about 3 months. (According to his weight and length which roughly 60grams and is about a foot long) and we feed him a fat salad everyday, (kale, turnip greens, mustard and collard greens, bell pepper, and carrots) and feed him crickets and dubia roaches daily.

We ordered 500 crickets from chewy 10 days ago and he's down to maybe 20 left. There weren't really many dead ones, maybe a dozen. It seems like he is ALWAYS hungry and always eats really well, he'll eat 15 crickets and 10 roaches (or more) if I let him, in one sitting. Some mornings, he eats close to 20 crickets. I feed him at 10:30, then again at 2 or 3 and again at about 6, I at least offer the food. And he ALWAYS takes it. Is it normal for him to be so damn hungry all of the time.? So in a good day, he'll eat roughly 50 crickets a day and probably 20 or 30 roaches a day, I'd say, give or take a few. On top of a good chunk of his salad. It's wild how much he eats and how hungry he seems to be all the time. I just want to make sure I'm not under feeding or something and thats why he's so hungry.

Photo for attention and to show off his chunky flappydoodles under his chin.๐Ÿ˜‚
Weigh him -- keep track and keep feeding him the way your feeding him- he should be gaining or sustaining

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Weigh him -- keep track and keep feeding him the way your feeding him- he should be gaining or sustaining
He's definitely gaining. We've weighed him once a week for the last few weeks and he gains about 10 grams a week. So it's normal for them to act completely starving all of the time.?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He's definitely gaining. We've weighed him once a week for the last few weeks and he gains about 10 grams a week. So it's normal for them to act completely starving all of the time.?
Yep hes growing -- are you feeding as much as he will eat in 10-15 minutes? And are you feeding appropriate size --- if the insect is too small they will eat more - the roaches should fill him up they are a filling insect --- crickets not so much -- feed him more salads --- you dont want to over feed the dubias they are a risk for gout --- try some silk worms for him
www.reptilianarts.com

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Yep hes growing -- are you feeding as much as he will eat in 10-15 minutes? And are you feeding appropriate size --- if the insect is too small they will eat more - the roaches should fill him up they are a filling insect --- crickets not so much -- feed him more salads --- you dont want to over feed the dubias they are a risk for gout --- try some silk worms for him
www.reptilianarts.com

www.reptilianarts.com
I think the roaches are a bit on the smaller side but the crickets are appropriate side. I hand feed him, I swear he has a vision problem, I tried putting him in a separate tub to feed him and he just looked at them, letting them crawl on him and stuff. But I feed him until he turns his nose up. He has a nice big salad every morning that he eats throughout the day, too. Usually he eats most of his salad. I knew he was growing but even then it just seems like he's eating more than we can keep up with. I added a photo of his salad, just as an example. He'll eat 2/3rds of it by 6 or 7pm. At fourish, I fed him 12ish crickets and about 10 roaches and by 6, he was attacking the container for more crickets so when I fed him the remaining 8 or so, he would scramble after them as fast as I'd hand them to him.

Attachments

• 20221013_105714.jpg
    20221013_105714.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 75

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I think the roaches are a bit on the smaller side but the crickets are appropriate side. I hand feed him, I swear he has a vision problem, I tried putting him in a separate tub to feed him and he just looked at them, letting them crawl on him and stuff. But I feed him until he turns his nose up. He has a nice big salad every morning that he eats throughout the day, too. Usually he eats most of his salad. I knew he was growing but even then it just seems like he's eating more than we can keep up with. I added a photo of his salad, just as an example. He'll eat 2/3rds of it by 6 or 7pm. At fourish, I fed him 12ish crickets and about 10 roaches and by 6, he was attacking the container for more crickets so when I fed him the remaining 8 or so, he would scramble after them as fast as I'd hand them to him.
Wow you have a eating machine on your hands--- get some more staple insects and offer those as well - super worms as a treat but only feed like 1-3 every other day --- I would get some silk worms they are a great staple too --- and I would feed a bigger size of roaches and see if that doesnt start to fill him up -- as long as hes not losing weight and gaining your good --

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Wow you have a eating machine on your hands--- get some more staple insects and offer those as well - super worms as a treat but only feed like 1-3 every other day --- I would get some silk worms they are a great staple too --- and I would feed a bigger size of roaches and see if that doesnt start to fill him up -- as long as hes not losing weight and gaining your good --
We just ordered some more crickets, we're getting 1000 and gonna try to breed them and we also ordered some black soldier fly larvae as well and next time, we're going to get some phoenix worms and see if that'll help.

He definitely is an eater, it's crazy. ๐Ÿ˜…

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We just ordered some more crickets, we're getting 1000 and gonna try to breed them and we also ordered some black soldier fly larvae as well and next time, we're going to get some phoenix worms and see if that'll help.

Phoenix worms and bsfl are the samething- crickets are not a very good staple - they most often give / cause parasites I recommend going w/ roaches

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
When they are babies they can pack it away. He is looking very good. He'll slow down when his growth rate starts to slow down, right now he needs the protein,along with the calcium and vitamins to grow. At the rate he is going/growing he will probably be approaching full size by 10 to 12 months old. They can get there pretty fast with a good diet, and setup. Just dont get freaked out when he does start to slow down, that is normal as well.

fcooper

Hatchling Member

Massive fan of phoenix worms as well.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
When they are babies they can pack it away. He is looking very good. He'll slow down when his growth rate starts to slow down, right now he needs the protein,along with the calcium and vitamins to grow. At the rate he is going/growing he will probably be approaching full size by 10 to 12 months old. They can get there pretty fast with a good diet, and setup. Just dont get freaked out when he does start to slow down, that is normal as well.
He's an eating machine but that also means he's a pooping machine๐Ÿ˜… I swear it looks like it belongs to a small dog๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
They are the onky animals I've ever encountered that xan have a poop 1/2 as big as they are lol. I have literally seen it look like it propelled them like a rocket. ๐Ÿ˜†

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
They are the onky animals I've ever encountered that xan have a poop 1/2 as big as they are lol. I have literally seen it look like it propelled them like a rocket. ๐Ÿ˜†
Right.?!?! Like, it comes out like a damn missile and it smells so bad I want to cry.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I can always tell from the other room when one of them poops because they get as high as they can on the opposite end of their habitat lol. Except for Ruby she just friggen sets in it :mad:
:mad::mad:

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Baby dragon are notorious eaters. I kept a record of my first dragon and her daily/weekly eating schedule. At the highest point in a week she ate over 1000 feeders. As long as the dragon is gaining and the poops are normal, I would not be concerned at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. ๐Ÿ˜ด
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris ๐Ÿ’”
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom