Almost drowned :(

sarah_defran

Beardie name(s)
Duncan and Rico
I was bathing our beardie Duncan who is around 15 months in our bathroom sink like I always do. I was cleaning the toilet, no longer than 3-5 minutes at most when I went back to check, Duncan was in a U shape and limp! His eyes were open and so was his mouth so I though he was too hot and then put cooler water on him. That got him to move slightly and then he stopped moving. I blew into his nose and mouth and started slightly compressing and massaging his chest. He moved a little and then went limp. I was hysterical because this is my daughters baby that I drown!! So I put him in his tank thinking he was dead and wondering how I was going to tell sweet mia what happened. I checked in about 4 hours later and he was standing up and ALIVE! I was so happy! I took him it out and held him. He’s kind of hick upping and shaking a little. Any suggestions or helpful tips on how to help our baby Duncan?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was bathing our beardie Duncan who is around 15 months in our bathroom sink like I always do. I was cleaning the toilet, no longer than 3-5 minutes at most when I went back to check, Duncan was in a U shape and limp! His eyes were open and so was his mouth so I though he was too hot and then put cooler water on him. That got him to move slightly and then he stopped moving. I blew into his nose and mouth and started slightly compressing and massaging his chest. He moved a little and then went limp. I was hysterical because this is my daughters baby that I drown!! So I put him in his tank thinking he was dead and wondering how I was going to tell sweet mia what happened. I checked in about 4 hours later and he was standing up and ALIVE! I was so happy! I took him it out and held him. He’s kind of hick upping and shaking a little. Any suggestions or helpful tips on how to help our baby Duncan?
Sounds like he may have aspirated- please watch him and I am so glad he's ok- you need to watch them and if they are drinking to fast you need to pull them so they aren't drinking anymore

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I post this a lot but it's only by chance someone will see it, BUT bearded dragons (and lizards in general) use the same muscle group to walk and to breathe. They CAN NOT do both at the same time. That is why it is imperative to never leave them in water that is not shallow enough for them to lay down in without it being over their nose. Beardies are a lot like toddlers and you have to watch them just as close. They put EVERYTHING in their mouth, they wonder off, they fall ect.
I'm glad your beardie survived, if it is breathing on it's own it will probably be ok, but i recommend keeping a very close eye on it for respiratory infection for a week or so. Maybe bump up it's night time heat for a week or so also.
Listen for wheezing and coughing if it does that alot I'd take it to a vet.

sarah_defran

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Duncan and Rico
I post this a lot but it's only by chance someone will see it, BUT bearded dragons (and lizards in general) use the same muscle group to walk and to breathe. They CAN NOT do both at the same time. That is why it is imperative to never leave them in water that is not shallow enough for them to lay down in without it being over their nose. Beardies are a lot like toddlers and you have to watch them just as close. They put EVERYTHING in their mouth, they wonder off, they fall ect.
I'm glad your beardie survived, if it is breathing on it's own it will probably be ok, but i recommend keeping a very close eye on it for respiratory infection for a week or so. Maybe bump up it's night time heat for a week or so also.
Listen for wheezing and coughing if it does that alot I'd take it to a vet.
I feel so terrible. Hopefully he makes it. Thanks for your response.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Don't beat yourself up, it was a close call but he should be ok. Just take it as a learning experience and you'll be better prepared going forward. :)
I only found out about the breating and walking a short time ago and i been keeping beardies a long time. We dont know what we don't know. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can pick him up and slant him nose down in case there's water in his lungs to drain out. That usually is recommended to do tight away but it might still help now. As mentioned, watch for gasping, wheezing, breathing hard, bubbles from the nose. If you can get a video of anything like that post it here. Hope he recupes for you !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow so sorry that happened, it can change in the blink of an eye like that. I am so glad he is ok,
but as suggested do keep him a little warmer overnight to help ward off any effects. Usually around
75-80F is good. It will just help boost his immune system some.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom