Allopurinol Dosage??

I suspect my beardie has gout. We are going to get blood work done next week. He has a 40-gallon tank with an Arcadia 10.0 bulb, heat lamp, and basking hammock. The only time he’s in his cage is to soak in uvb/ heat. I work from home most of my days and take him outside to get natural sunlight while i work on my laptop. He gets dubias, mealworms, wax worms. He get calcium everyday as he has mbd as well. Currently I have been feeding him organic baby food (greens only) with calcium mixed in as he doesn’t want feeders. I read about black cherry juice which I’m going to buy tomorrow. We are due for X-rays and blood work but if it comes to medication i want to have different options. I know not to medicate if we are unsure of gout. For future reference, what dosage of Allopurinol is safe to give beardies? Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I suspect my beardie has gout. We are going to get blood work done next week. He has a 40-gallon tank with an Arcadia 10.0 bulb, heat lamp, and basking hammock. The only time he’s in his cage is to soak in uvb/ heat. I work from home most of my days and take him outside to get natural sunlight while i work on my laptop. He gets dubias, mealworms, wax worms. He get calcium everyday as he has mbd as well. Currently I have been feeding him organic baby food (greens only) with calcium mixed in as he doesn’t want feeders. I read about black cherry juice which I’m going to buy tomorrow. We are due for X-rays and blood work but if it comes to medication i want to have different options. I know not to medicate if we are unsure of gout. For future reference, what dosage of Allopurinol is safe to give beardies? Thank you.
That dosage should be given by the vet--- if he does have gout your UVB is extremely important here - where is the UVB ? inside the tank or top of screen? Also if he does have gout please dont feed anymore dubia roaches - you can go to silk worms or BSFL - its great your getting him outside for good UVB-- so I would wait and see what the blood work says about the uric acid levels

alyxrodriguez

Original Poster
Thank you so much! The uvb is outside the mesh but I’m going to mount it on the inside now after getting feedback. And what is BSFL?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have pictures of your dragon, is there some swelling present?
The black cherry juice extract is helpful. You can give .5ml to 1ml daily to help start to
break up uric acid crystals & flush out the kidneys.
As far as the Allopurinol dose goes, the recommended dose is 20mg/kg to start. You
would need the weight of your dragon to properly dose. Depending on the severity of
the case of gout, they can stay on the 20mg/kg for awhile then have the dose decreased
to a maintenance level of 10mg/kg.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom