Allergy to Dubia Roaches?

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm sorry for all the health questions. But, it seems even someone who's owned bearded dragons for quite some time, needs to relearn some things and correct some husbandry.

So, here's what I noticed.
Last weekend, I fed Maya 8 dubia roaches on a Sunday. (Not this weekend. I fed no bug protein.) But, shortly after feeding him those roaches, I noticed his activity and his front legs becoming inflamed. I gave him some of Tracie's Silkworm Enzyme and he was ok the next day. Back to his normal routine. The inflammation went away and he was able to use his front legs. A friend of mine told me he could be allergic to dubia roaches. It got me thinking about 'all his swallowing, gulping issue'. Since stopping the roaches, he doesn't do that.
He has been eating with help, his vegetables.
Dandelion Greens
Squash Zucchini, yellow squash.
Red bell pepper
Spirulina powder
Alfalfa Powder
Multivitamin 2-3 times a week. (Just last week, I gave him the multivitamin daily.)
Calcium without D3 every day and one day of D3 Calcium.
Water spritzing
Sprinkle of bee pollen.

He has beardie buffet available.
He is very active now. Running around his tank. Climbing his basking spots, standing up on his hind legs. Head bobbing.
Had a normal poo and urate yesterday! So proud he pooped too.
He woke up at 8:45 AM and went to bed at 8:45 PM.
He had his nightly cuddle, petting, kisses, and put him to bed.

I'll be getting him some silkworms.
I don't know if Discoid roaches would be an option for him or if I can continue to give him a plant protein supplement. All the powders have protein. Maybe he doesn't really need dubia roaches anymore. Not after the research of them causing 'gout'.
Old photo. Not recent.

Attachments

• mymy.jpg
    mymy.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 78

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm sorry for all the health questions. But, it seems even someone who's owned bearded dragons for quite some time, needs to relearn some things and correct some husbandry.

So, here's what I noticed.
Last weekend, I fed Maya 8 dubia roaches on a Sunday. (Not this weekend. I fed no bug protein.) But, shortly after feeding him those roaches, I noticed his activity and his front legs becoming inflamed. I gave him some of Tracie's Silkworm Enzyme and he was ok the next day. Back to his normal routine. The inflammation went away and he was able to use his front legs. A friend of mine told me he could be allergic to dubia roaches. It got me thinking about 'all his swallowing, gulping issue'. Since stopping the roaches, he doesn't do that.
He has been eating with help, his vegetables.
Dandelion Greens
Squash Zucchini, yellow squash.
Red bell pepper
Spirulina powder
Alfalfa Powder
Multivitamin 2-3 times a week. (Just last week, I gave him the multivitamin daily.)
Calcium without D3 every day and one day of D3 Calcium.
Water spritzing
Sprinkle of bee pollen.

He has beardie buffet available.
He is very active now. Running around his tank. Climbing his basking spots, standing up on his hind legs. Head bobbing.
Had a normal poo and urate yesterday! So proud he pooped too.
He woke up at 8:45 AM and went to bed at 8:45 PM.
He had his nightly cuddle, petting, kisses, and put him to bed.

I'll be getting him some silkworms.
I don't know if Discoid roaches would be an option for him or if I can continue to give him a plant protein supplement. All the powders have protein. Maybe he doesn't really need dubia roaches anymore. Not after the research of them causing 'gout'.
Old photo. Not recent.
This would be a topic for Tracie to advise on
@Drache613

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I don't see why he couldn't be allergic, my did had an allergy test ran and found out he is allergic to cock roaches, i have discovered through trial and error I'm slightly allergic to dubias. If i don't wash my hands after handling them my eyes itch and water me silly. That would lead me to think that maybe beardies could have a reaction to them as well. (All just speculation but if you are seeing some reaction then there likely IS some reaction)

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think that they could become allergic and I'm holding off on bugs for now. He seems to be doing alright without them now.

Current photo op of him now. 3/27/2023.

Attachments

• Maya12.jpg
    Maya12.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think that they could become allergic and I'm holding off on bugs for now. He seems to be doing alright with them now.

Current photo op of him now. 3/27/2023.
What a cutie!!!
Thank you. He really is improving day by day. Today, he ate all of his dandelion greens, some squashes, pepper, and supplements were on. Including a probiotic. He stood up on his own two front legs and ate. He still needs my help.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It's a labor of love! I have 2 rescues, they have bonded and are way more needy with us than my none rescues. Beardies absolutely understand you care and appreciate it.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It's a labor of love! I have 2 rescues, they have bonded and are way more needy with us than my none rescues. Beardies absolutely understand you care and appreciate it.
He hasn't been the same since he was infected with roundworms. It became a daily struggle to get him to even eat. I went out to the grocery store and fed him babyfood squash, apple and kale, sweet potatoes, all with the powders included (Alfalfa, dandelion green powder, spirulina, supplements, and pedialyte.) He wouldn't eat solids. I tried cooked greens- no luck. Back and forth correspondence to the vet. 3 rounds of Panacur to get rid of them. Last poo was negative for roundworms.
I don't know when and if he will eat on his own. He will stand over his dish and eat from my hands. He won't take it by himself.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Meds can reek havoc on their appetite, every time I've medicated mine it was a struggle to get them to eat again. Snicker Doodles still don't eat well and she was a bottomless pit before antibiotics. It's been 4 or 5 months that she's been off of them. You just have to keep trying.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Before the roundworms, he was a good eater. Ate all his greens. During the roundworms, strange lethargy, long poo, very hard urate, and not eating much. Gets treatment of panacur as directed by vet.. Would eat very little, then go back to being sick. Very Deep Cleaning his tank, boiling his softies, toys, and whatever. I finally invested in a new Arcadia, new lamp, new heat light, and a steam cleaner.
If I didn't give him his food, he won't eat anything for days.
I stepped in and started to introduce solids. When he starts to eat on his own, I'll be so happy and relieved that all of my efforts, care, love, have helped him immensely.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom