Air temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,

I have been able to get the basking spot for my dragons to around 105 F/40 C, but what should I shoot for as an air temperature inside the enclosure during the day when all the lights are on? At night, air temps dip down to around 65 F/18 C, but they're not much warmer during the day. Has anyone ever used a little fan like you have on a laptop + a CHE to blow warm air into the viv? I want to make sure they are getting the best temps & gradient, but am a little leery about doing it by restricting airflow with a partial cover because it could become too hot.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Are you meaning you use a CHE?
It seems strange you’re only getting 18c in the cool end but the right amount at the basking - I’m confused why this is happening
Can you post photos of your set up just so I can get a visual?
Here’s my set up and I’m getting 36-37 at basking spot and the cool end sits around 26c in the day - at night mine would drop to only 10-12c so I have a CHE on a thermostat to turn on when needed ( which since it’s summer mine turns on every night but at the moment isn’t turning on in the day as my viv is sitting at 26c cool end)
The dome on top is a che , second dome is a basking bulb and the top of my viv is fine mesh
101427-779803801.jpg

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Original Poster
MarlowAndMe":2kwsjd4x said:
Are you meaning you use a CHE?
It seems strange you’re only getting 18c in the cool end but the right amount at the basking - I’m confused why this is happening
Sorry, I guess I didn't frame the question too well. So I don't have a CHE, just white basking lights and UV. I'm able to get the surface temperature of the basking spots (the logs) right, but I'm wondering about the air temperature in the viv. My thought was that the air temp is too chilly with them being near a window & it being winter where I am. I keep the house at around 20 C, and there is no alternate source of heat, so if they want to be warm, they are limited to a small area.

The comment about the CHE was, if I do need to raise the air temp, I guess I could set up a CHE and circulate the heat from it through the enclosure with a fan (& was wondering if anyone else has tried that).

I have two dragons and two different setups. My adult dragon is in this first one, and my juvenile is in my 1st dragon's original 50 gal tank.
100140-2122807103.jpg
100140-4393960247.jpg

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just bumping the thread. Anyone have suggestions? We just got a 2nd beardie recently, and now he's acting like he wants to brumate (bigger one has been under since Nov). Not sure if that's coincidence or if the tank temps are too low and they're going into shutdown mode because of that. If I could protect it so that there was no chance of setting the house on fire or burning beardie bottoms, I was thinking I could solve the air temp issue with a heating pad like they sell for tank sides put under the carpet instead. I feel a CHE would be of limited use unless I could push the warm air down with a fan or similar.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Sorry I am not sure how to help here as I only know I use a che due to the temperatures in my country pretty much always dropping at night to lower than 65f.
I do know I had a basking light at the beginning that had a in built fan to blow the heat - it was a petshop recommendation - that turned out to be a big mistake as Marlow found the fan very disruptive to his day sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom