Aggression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys

I had two beardies both brought at the same time last year, Sadly one of the two passed away 7 months ago and I was left with one. I was looking to get her another dragon but the size issue was a problem as no where seemed to have any females who was larger then a hatchling.

On friday my gf brought me a 2 year old female from our local reptile shop. I let both of them meet each other outside the viv and then put them in. They was alright for a few hours before the new Female started head bobbing. I thought they might have made a mistake in regards to her gender. My original female did some arm waving and since then has started head bobbing aswell. She now is also attacking the new female and has managed to grab her tail a couple of time. I was told by the shop that would have a fight for dominance and after that they would settle. The new female is showing no signs of aggresion by my first dragon just wont stop with the attacks.

The new female is now hiding for most the day.

Any suggestions guys

Thanks

Jamie

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Everyone will tell you beardies should not be housed together- they are not social animals. That was bad advice from your pet shop. Separate them before the submissive female gets seriously hurt, or worse. They wont stop fighting until one of them gets killed- sorry to say.

TwistedCrayon

Sub-Adult Member
Separate them.... No living thing deserves to be attacked. Even if death doesn't ensue she could lose her tail. Still not a good outcome. Dragons only need and want human companions. Either get a new set-up or return the new one. Better yet offer her to someone on this board if you can't make or don't have room for her new enclosure. The pet store you got her from gave you some seriously wrong information.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Jamie I agree they are solitary reptiles and do best on their own. Again putting them together can lead to many of babies and death. Good luck and keep us posted.

jsimpson1989

Original Poster
Its very hard decision, I Obviously dont want to see any harm come to either of them. My original female has seemed a bit calmer today. Had to take the main log out so they could both be on a lower level and have full vision on each other.

I would happily get another viv but the bills for the electricity is ridiculous atm and i wont be able to afford the bills. Does anyone have any ideas how i can drastically cut my bills down. I live in London so its quite cold here atm. I have the UV Bulb on for 12 hours per day and the heater is on at a constant temperture. Is there any work that can be done to cut the bills down?

Its a 4ft x 4ft x 2ft Wooden Vivarium.

I do have space in my room for another Viv just the bills really need to be sorted or i will have to return her which i dont wanna do having lost a bit of faith in my pet shop

Thanks

TwistedCrayon

Sub-Adult Member
I didn't see you mention a basking light..., how much did you pay for her? Can you post a pic, where do you live? maybe someone here can help you out with her living situation.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
jsimpson1989":1awqsake said:
Its very hard decision, I Obviously dont want to see any harm come to either of them. My original female has seemed a bit calmer today. Had to take the main log out so they could both be on a lower level and have full vision on each other.

I would happily get another viv but the bills for the electricity is ridiculous atm and i wont be able to afford the bills. Does anyone have any ideas how i can drastically cut my bills down. I live in London so its quite cold here atm. I have the UV Bulb on for 12 hours per day and the heater is on at a constant temperture. Is there any work that can be done to cut the bills down?

Its a 4ft x 4ft x 2ft Wooden Vivarium.

I do have space in my room for another Viv just the bills really need to be sorted or i will have to return her which i dont wanna do having lost a bit of faith in my pet shop

Thanks

Theres nothing really you can do about about electricity. however, i live in newcastle upon tyne and have to keep the heater on at night too- i use a habistat controller which means you can turn the heat down to a comfortable setting for your beardie at night- (they like cooler temps at night anyway), which may save a little bit on electricity.

jsimpson1989

Original Poster
Ive been using a heat lamp which was directed onto a piece of wood for a basking spot but changed that round today to a infra red bulb which my beardy seemed to enjoy. The submissive female decided to stick up for herself today, she pushed my beardy out of the basking spot. they seem to be getting along better atm. I am in revising all week so im sitting next to then so I can keep an eye on them, so i will see how things pan out with them two this week as the behaviour between the pair of them has improved.

Ty

jsimpson1989

Original Poster
Is that the thermistat with a day and night temp or do you manually change it in the evening for the lower temp?

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
jsimpson1989":39urygiq said:
Is that the thermistat with a day and night temp or do you manually change it in the evening for the lower temp?

I manually turn it down at night

jsimpson1989

Original Poster
Hi guys

Ty for the advice, they both seem to be getting along great. No fights :).
Thanks
Jamie
img00106201011301628.jpg

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Im sorry to sound blunt but honestly they will fight again- theres been loads of posts about beardies seriously injured or killed when housed together even though they 'seemed ok'. I understand that you want to keep them together but just be prepared for what will happen. Sorry to sound negative, don't mean to be, just worried for your beardies :(

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I agree, it's just a matter of time before they fight again. Then you'll have to worry about the expense of vet bills.

Even without fighting, there are other passive bullying behavior that's going on that will effect the overall health of the animals. The dominant one is always on guard trying to protect it's territory, and never gets to relax. The submissive one will never get enough to eat, uv or basking time and is under constant threat of attack.

It's really not a good idea.

BeardedDragon6

Juvie Member
I do think yo should not put them together, as the old female you had is protecting her territory by chasing the other female off ..

boxerLvr

I don't mean to sound rude so forgive me please if thats how it comes off. You came on the board to get advice, and some VERY experienced beardie owners have told you not to put them together as they are solitary animals... why would you not listen to them? Your beardies safety and health is at stake here and it makes me sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom