After prolapse care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lykopis

My 9 month old male beardie had a prolapse 3 days ago that was replaced by his vet. Now though, he is having a hard time going poo, and when he does its urates with cricket matter. No traditional poo. I'm wondering what I should feed him or do for him to get his poo cycle going normally again. When he poos I have to soak him for about half an hour in order for him to get all the poo out. I've started feeding him baby food through a syringe (not the needle sort) since he has no interest in his veggies or crickets. Should I be worried about the state of his poo or give him a couple days to see if he gets back to normal?

lykopis

Original Poster
Oh, and it turns out his prolapse may have been from a combination of eating the substrate in his cage (which has been removed and replaced with paper towels) and he has pinworms (which are being treated with Panacur).

Spikey07

Juvie Member
Poor guy :(

You need to make sure you have a good UVB and correct temperatures so that he can properly digest his food and recover quickly. The UVB ideally should be a tube bulb, either Repti-SUN 10.0 or Arcaida D3 12%. You need to make sure you have a digital thermometer with a long wire and probe at the end or infa red temperature gun to accurately measure the temps in his tank. The round dial type can be way off. The basking spot should be 100-110 degrees F and the cool side of the tank should be about 80 degrees F.

As he is on meds for the pin worms you should also give him some probiotics to help replace the good bacteria in his gut. Acidophiliz+ or Benebac is good.

Chicken or turkey and squash baby food is a good choice. You can mix in a pinch of calcium powder also. Some people add critical/carnivore care mixture to it too.

Make sure to keep him well hydrated. This along with the liquidised food should make it easier for him to poo.

Personally I would wait untill he has healed a bit before re introducing live food to his diet. Silk worms would be a good one to start with as their very soft and easily digested.

lykopis

Original Poster
I've got ReptiSun 10.0 and a ceramic heat emitter on the way along with Acidophiliz+. I got rough temp reading using a round thermometer and hes about 5 - 10 degrees lower than he should be. Thanks much for the advice.

Spikey07

Juvie Member
the dial thermometers can be as much as 20 degrees off so it really is worth getting a digital one with a long wire and probe at the end or an infared temperature gun.

Keep us updated on him over the next few days. I hope he starts to improve.

I forgot to mention the baths are good for him so keep up with them!

lykopis

Original Poster
How much of the baby food should I give him each day? I have vegetable chicken, of which i gave him about a teaspoon and a half.

Spikey07

Juvie Member
I would try and get at least 5ml into him! A little more if you can. He may not take it all at once, you could feed him a couple of times each day.

How is he doing?

lykopis

Original Poster
We've been able to get him to eat 5 to 6 ml twice a day. At this point he gets excited and opens his mouth for the baby food. I express ordered some phoenix worms that should be here today, so hopefully we can get him back into some live food in a couple days.

lykopis

Original Poster
He is indeed pooping alright now. He had his follow up visit with our herp vet a couple days ago where we found out that he's calcium deficient and along with his pin worms probably contributed to the prolapse. He's on a steady diet of Phoenix worms, crickets, and a little bit of baby food with calcium and multivitamin mixed in. The herp recommend mixing it in the baby food so we can better make sure he's getting as much as he needs and making sure he actually gets it. Plus he LOVES the baby food. He gets as excited to see the feeder thingy as he does when we drop in crickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom