Advise for starving beardie hatchie (getting him/her soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunShine

Juvie Member

*Title says hatchie because I think he is only a week or two old*

My significant other and i where in petco, and I have to see the beardies whenever I go in. There was this little tiny one who should NOT have been up for sale at all. He was skinny, I could see his hip bones, and every time another one walked by, he/she would get stepped on by the others who where at least twice his size. Everytime he got stepped on he would sink lower to the ground. He tried to run and we noticed he had a limp, it looked at if his front hand was crumpled and bent backwards on himself. It looked like his eyes where half closed too. I almost talked my bf into getting him on three different occasions (he doesn't want to pay $60 we don't really have for a little guy he thinks will die at the end of the week :roll: ), but anyways, I pointed this out to an employee and he was looking at the little guy then went to go get a bunch of small crickets. He dumped some on the other side of the tank and then some in front of the poor baby. He ate them right up, and the guy even stood and watched till he was done eating so he could keep the other beardies away. I went home happy knowing that the little guy has a full belly tonight at least. Hoping to see that employee again soon. I am curious as to what happens with the beardies when they get older, they only sell tiny ones.
Also gonna ask him if there is any way I could get him for cheaper. Like a, he is probably not gonna make it anyways so you can pocket him and go ninja status and meet me by my car :lol: or cheaper =) I just know if he is there in like, a week I can get him.
Have a spare little tank too.
(and this is why he doesn't want me looking either lol)

Everyone please wish the little guy luck =) he was literally a third the size as everyone else.

*next day*

I'm upset and need advise. I went back to petco and the most the manager (not previous helpful employee) said he could do was sell him for 48. But after tax it's still over 50. He was even worse than yesterday, his eyes just half closed and barely moving. I pointed out what was wrong with him, and he said he was fine :angry5: :angry5: , just the other ones where shipped in when they where older. This guy was not even four inches.
His hip bones are so noticeable I could see where and how they connected, his head was smaller than my thumb nail. He is way to young to be selling. Apparently it's illegal for them to sell one so sick and so young? I'm hoping in a worse case scenario I can bring that up and maybe get him. Twenty off would make him thirty, which is far more doable. I am just really frustrated.
I am going back tomorrow in hopes I can talk to the other guy (was not working today) and see if he will be compassionate.

That being said when I do get him how much do I feed him that first day? He is literally starving and I don't want to over feed him, but I know they can eat a lot. Please help, my heart is breaking for this little guy. Even if we need to give him up for adoption later, thats fine. I will be sad to be him go but I will know that he is healthy happy and alive because someone cared to help him/her.

On a different note, the petsmart here has their beardies on repti carpet not sand =)

mellu

Juvie Member
Hon this story is exactly the same as Kira's. I'm going to pm you all the details of how I got her and what not but what I did for her was bought a bottle of chicken baby food and a bottle of butternut squash baby food. I didn't think she'd last a week but she's 5 months old now and the healthiest of all my beardies. I fed her baby food with calcium mixed in and gave her a bath in a tiny ziplock container with a papertowel on the bottom to make her feel secure. She was extremely dehydrated. I did this until she started perking up then fed her some pin head crickets, it took like 3 days. Be careful if he gets to the cricket stage, only offer one at a time so as to not over whelm him.

SunShine

Juvie Member
Original Poster

The poor little guy has a fungus now =( It is yellow and fluffy and across his back. Tried to tell an employee so he could be separated and not hurt the rest of the little guys but he is stubborn and ignorant and saying it is poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom