Advice please - coughing and swollen beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

natly

Hi - can anyone give me some advice please?

My dragon Praxis developed a cough a few weeks ago - we went to the herp vet 2 weeks ago and he was prescribed Marbocyl antibiotics for a suspected respiratory infection (by mouth, 0.36ml every other day for 20 days, 8 doses taken, 2 remaining)
I think the cause of the issue was the humidity in his vivarium which was around 50-55% - this is now fixed and 38 cool side / 25 hot side.
My worry is he does not seem to be getting better.
I have posted a video of the cough - he will typically do 1-4 of these in a row
His beard at times looks normal but often looks particularly swollen and uneven. He is grey bearding a lot and not eating very much - probably in part due to the antibiotics.
He hasn't lost a lot of weight (yet) and is active - moving around his vivarium, head up, curious - he shows an interest in his bugs and salad but hasn't actually eaten them for the past week.
His beard is particularly swollen this morning.
The vet advised we finish the course, see how he is and then consider blood tests
Praxis is just over 2 years old.

Has anyone's dragon been through anything similar?
Could it be something else and not actually an RI?
Is it normal to get worse before getting better on antibiotics?
If he is not healed after the antibiotics, is it possible he just needs a longer course or a different antibiotic?

Setup - (2 digital temp/humidity probes) cool side around 26c, basking spot 38c & warm side around 34c. Humidity 38 cool side / 25 hot side.
Reptiglo 10.0 36" (changed every 6 moths)
60watt basking spot inside a reflector dome
4ft x 2ft x 2ft wooden vivarium.

Video - cough around 16 seconds in, sorry for hand. He seems to know when he is on video.
Swollen beard this morning
Basking like there is nothing wrong with him.

Any advice is appreciated.
I will check in again with the vet after the antibiotics are finished.
IMG_20211210_102543.jpg IMG_20211205_144523_2.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi - can anyone give me some advice please?

My dragon Praxis developed a cough a few weeks ago - we went to the herp vet 2 weeks ago and he was prescribed Marbocyl antibiotics for a suspected respiratory infection (by mouth, 0.36ml every other day for 20 days, 8 doses taken, 2 remaining)
I think the cause of the issue was the humidity in his vivarium which was around 50-55% - this is now fixed and 38 cool side / 25 hot side.
My worry is he does not seem to be getting better.
I have posted a video of the cough - he will typically do 1-4 of these in a row
His beard at times looks normal but often looks particularly swollen and uneven. He is grey bearding a lot and not eating very much - probably in part due to the antibiotics.
He hasn't lost a lot of weight (yet) and is active - moving around his vivarium, head up, curious - he shows an interest in his bugs and salad but hasn't actually eaten them for the past week.
His beard is particularly swollen this morning.
The vet advised we finish the course, see how he is and then consider blood tests
Praxis is just over 2 years old.

Has anyone's dragon been through anything similar?
Could it be something else and not actually an RI?
Is it normal to get worse before getting better on antibiotics?
If he is not healed after the antibiotics, is it possible he just needs a longer course or a different antibiotic?

Setup - (2 digital temp/humidity probes) cool side around 26c, basking spot 38c & warm side around 34c. Humidity 38 cool side / 25 hot side.
Reptiglo 10.0 36" (changed every 6 moths)
60watt basking spot inside a reflector dome
4ft x 2ft x 2ft wooden vivarium.

Video - cough around 16 seconds in, sorry for hand. He seems to know when he is on video.
Swollen beard this morning
Basking like there is nothing wrong with him.

Any advice is appreciated.
I will check in again with the vet after the antibiotics are finished.
View attachment 65859 View attachment 65861
View attachment 65857
@AHBD @Drache613
Please get rid of the Reptiglo UVB bulb they are not that good of a UVB please get a Reptisun 10.0 bulb they are one of the best on the market -- Is the bulb a T 5 or a T 8 they have different distance for placement -- what are your basking temps? I have flagged your post to two people on here that can help you --

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, yes he may have an R.I but it doesn't sound too severe . Hopefully different meds. can help him out. The Reptiglo is an O.K bulb but get a Reptisun next time if you can. Humidity at 50 % itself would not necessarily cause the R.I but be sure his cool side temp. doesn't go below what it is now and try to keep it that warm at night. Did he maybe aspirate water while soaking ? That's another possible cause. BTW, are you in the U.K ?

natly

Original Poster
Thank you both, I will replace the bulb and make sure temps are high enough overnight, he also has a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat and i have the central heating on in blasts throughout the night. Basking spot in the day is 38. I am in the UK so its quite cold here.

Bathwater is a likely way he has caught this, but the beard swelling comes and goes, he hasn't had a bath for a week now.
I I have tried tipping him
I will try again to get him to sleep on a downwards incline but he doesn't like being handled much at the moment and I dont want to stress him.

I will try again tomorrow to get him to have some probiotic solution after his medicine. He has not had enough to eat and its probably not helping his recovery

I keep worrying its not an ri and maybe a problem with his throat pouch thats making him cough.

He has no mucus visible anywhere and doesnt seem to find breathing difficult. The vet did say inside his mouth was fairly swollen (which also may be helping to put him off eating.)

The vets surgery said a blood test is probably my next move if he doesnt improve.
I guess I should have seen some improvement by now but if anything he seems worse.

I am really worried for the little guy and dont want to subject him to a blood test needlessly but am wondering whether to go ahead sooner rather than later. I have to wait a few days for an appointment.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you both, I will replace the bulb and make sure temps are high enough overnight, he also has a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat and i have the central heating on in blasts throughout the night. Basking spot in the day is 38. I am in the UK so its quite cold here.

Bathwater is a likely way he has caught this, but the beard swelling comes and goes, he hasn't had a bath for a week now.
I I have tried tipping him
I will try again to get him to sleep on a downwards incline but he doesn't like being handled much at the moment and I dont want to stress him.

I will try again tomorrow to get him to have some probiotic solution after his medicine. He has not had enough to eat and its probably not helping his recovery

I keep worrying its not an ri and maybe a problem with his throat pouch thats making him cough.

He has no mucus visible anywhere and doesnt seem to find breathing difficult. The vet did say inside his mouth was fairly swollen (which also may be helping to put him off eating.)

The vets surgery said a blood test is probably my next move if he doesnt improve.
I guess I should have seen some improvement by now but if anything he seems worse.

I am really worried for the little guy and dont want to subject him to a blood test needlessly but am wondering whether to go ahead sooner rather than later. I have to wait a few days for an appointment.
The T 5 and T 8 's have certain distance and placement that is why I am asking T 8's need to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- T 5's have an option w/ screen so please tell me what bulb you have

natly

Original Poster
The T 5 and T 8 's have certain distance and placement that is why I am asking T 8's need to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -- T 5's have an option w/ screen so please tell me what bulb you have
I have actually made a mistake here. I assumed that was what I was buying, i just checked the packaging and the shop must have changed, I have no idea how long ago.

This one and the previous one are exo terra 150, 30w. I can't see a T rating on the packaging.

Its placed inside the wooden viv with no screen. He can get to around 8" away and is usually within around 14

Is this bulb any good, should i move it down so he is that close?

natly

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your help before.

I just wanted to update and say Praxis seems to be feeling much better now the course of antibiotics is finished.
I havent seen him cough in a few days, he seems much happier and more active and his appetite is back :)

I will be vigilant of course but it looks like I got him to a vet it in time.

I thought i should say for anyone worried about huge vet bills, the total cost of his vet exam and treatment was just over £60. I am happy to recommend the vet (NW England) if anyone wants to DM me.

Thanks again have a lovely Christmas

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have actually made a mistake here. I assumed that was what I was buying, i just checked the packaging and the shop must have changed, I have no idea how long ago.

This one and the previous one are exo terra 150, 30w. I can't see a T rating on the packaging.

Its placed inside the wooden viv with no screen. He can get to around 8" away and is usually within around 14

Is this bulb any good, should i move it down so he is that close?
If this is a coil bulb please get rid of it and replace w/ a 24" long tube fixture for a 40+ gallon tank -- a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb --- coils are no good-- Arcadia ProT5 Kit - Desert 12%

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks, I would never use a coil bulb.
Ok that sounds good --I would however change the bulb out to a Reptisun or Arcadia brand they are the best on the market at this time- also distance and placement is key here for the UVB rays --- your screen has a lot to do w/ that - where is the UVB fixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom