Advice on nail maintenance

dandelion

Beardie name(s)
Jasper
About two months ago now, I adopted Jasper from home that wasn’t able to take care of him properly. Since then, he’s been doing great. The day after I brought him home, we trimmed off about half the length of his nails, which were very, very overgrown - literally no bleeding when cutting off almost a quarter of an inch. Even though his mobility is significantly better, I’m not sure if I should cut them back further. My main concern is with his back feet; they were curling under, and on a couple of them I don’t think I can trim the curve out.
Is this too curved? Can I do anything about it? Can the nail be straightened at all, or does it have to be cut?
What is the best way to get overgrown nails back to a point of normal maintenance?
BBB4A8C0-7F1B-4ADF-B264-0DEFA7D404D9.jpeg

bonus cute picture
D6FDFFA4-D918-46EB-A4F5-1A23F0252512.jpeg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The nails look good, you only want to cut the very tip end off. When they grow back out you will see a little spike (for lack of a better description) that is all you need to trim off
The easiest way to deal with them is to give him someting to climb on that is rough, a piece of sandstone, slate, limestone ect.

Attachments

• 20220723_094946.jpg
    20220723_094946.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 64

HyperLollipop

Beardie name(s)
Herman
The nails look good, you only want to cut the very tip end off. When they grow back out you will see a little spike (for lack of a better description) that is all you need to trim off
The easiest way to deal with them is to give him someting to climb on that is rough, a piece of sandstone, slate, limestone ect.
Hey, I know I'm a little late to this thread but I was looking for info on cutting my beardie's nails, and I was wondering where I could get something like that?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can pick it up outside locally or landscaping suppliers usually have a good selection. The sandstone I'm using is leftover from putting flagstone in my back yard. If you source it outdoors remember to sanitize it first.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Hey, I know I'm a little late to this thread but I was looking for info on cutting my beardie's nails, and I was wondering where I could get something like that?
I was going to say pick up a piece of Slate. It will keep his nails trimmed down.

Does anyone know where the Hypo morph came from?
I'm doing some research on my Beardie.
Not only that I was a little curious.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom