Advice on lighting

When I bought my bearded dragon a few days ago, I got a 20 gallon terrarium kit. (He’s a juvenile. Im going to upgrade when he gets bigger.) But I now realize I should’ve just bought the tank & lighting separately. The basking light that came with it is only 75 watts, so I plan on buying a 100 watt light because my thermometer is saying that his basking area is only 92 degrees. (I am not using the stick on ones that came in my kit, I already bought a new one.) Any advice on what light I should buy for my 20 gallon tank? Also, I’ve been reading that coil UVB lights are not useful, which is of course what came in this kit, so what fixture & uvb light do you guys recommend? My last question is about him gaping. Although the temperature reads 92, he still opens his mouth with his head up towards the light sometimes. If I get a 100 watt light, is this going to be too hot for him/his enclosure?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
When I bought my bearded dragon a few days ago, I got a 20 gallon terrarium kit. (He’s a juvenile. Im going to upgrade when he gets bigger.) But I now realize I should’ve just bought the tank & lighting separately. The basking light that came with it is only 75 watts, so I plan on buying a 100 watt light because my thermometer is saying that his basking area is only 92 degrees. (I am not using the stick on ones that came in my kit, I already bought a new one.) Any advice on what light I should buy for my 20 gallon tank? Also, I’ve been reading that coil UVB lights are not useful, which is of course what came in this kit, so what fixture & uvb light do you guys recommend? My last question is about him gaping. Although the temperature reads 92, he still opens his mouth with his head up towards the light sometimes. If I get a 100 watt light, is this going to be too hot for him/his enclosure?
The heat bulb for a 20 gallon tank is usually a 75 watt but temps in a room will effect that and where the tank is placed ex windows on the floor by a heat or air vet those can all effect the temp in that tank - please place the probe where he sits for basking leave for 10 min or so then get the temp that is going to give you the most accurate basking temp-- w/ him gaping I am guessing the temp is off
Next your going to need a long tube fixture I recommend a 24" fixture the best one for you would be a 24" Zoo Med w/ this fixture comes a 5.0 bulb you can use that on your 20 gallon tank this would need to be UNobstructed NO screen and distance 6-8 inches directly above your basking decor - I can help you set it up if you like -- then when you upgrade to the bigger tank 75-120 gallon is recommended for a adult dragon you would need to get the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - that fixture will go right into a bigger tank--

avalynnj12

Original Poster
The heat bulb for a 20 gallon tank is usually a 75 watt but temps in a room will effect that and where the tank is placed ex windows on the floor by a heat or air vet those can all effect the temp in that tank - please place the probe where he sits for basking leave for 10 min or so then get the temp that is going to give you the most accurate basking temp-- w/ him gaping I am guessing the temp is off
Next your going to need a long tube fixture I recommend a 24" fixture the best one for you would be a 24" Zoo Med w/ this fixture comes a 5.0 bulb you can use that on your 20 gallon tank this would need to be UNobstructed NO screen and distance 6-8 inches directly above your basking decor - I can help you set it up if you like -- then when you upgrade to the bigger tank 75-120 gallon is recommended for a adult dragon you would need to get the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - that fixture will go right into a bigger tank--
Thank you so much! Could you possibly post a picture of the Uvb bulb you are recommending so I can make sure i’m buying the correct one?

avalynnj12

Original Poster
Also, my tank is the thrive desert reptile terrarium, so the screen hood slides on. Would I just set the UVB fixture on top of this screen? Or do I have to do it another way?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Also, my tank is the thrive desert reptile terrarium, so the screen hood slides on. Would I just set the UVB fixture on top of this screen? Or do I have to do it another way?
You can take part of the screen to where its 3/4 on place the UVB fixture width wise over the basking decor piece and have the basking bulb sitting on the screen next to it I attached a pic of my 20 gallon to show you what I mean --- mine was set up w/ the basking bulb clamped at the end of the tank - thats a 18 inch fixture w/a Reptisun T 8 in the fixture -- you need the basking decor approx 6-8 inches directly under the UVB

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084426.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084426.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 168

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom