Advice? Laid another egg and I'm going away

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom2kando

Hi all, We recently adopted a 4 year old beardie and to our surprise began laying eggs a few days after we got her. We thankfully got that sorted out and she laid a bunch of eggs in the lay box in her enclosure- she was REALLY ready and dove right in and layed a few hours after putting it in her enclosure. :lol:

Here we are 3 weeks later and I found an egg in her enclosure last night and she's been glass surfing like crazy (she was pretty calm for the three weeks after her first eggs). I don't know if it's just a random egg or if she's going to lay an entire clutch again? Anyway- I have a fresh lay box ready for her, I put in in her enclosure today and she dug but didn't lay eggs. I'm wondering what the best course of action will be over the next week as I'm going out of town for 3 days on Wednesday and my husband will be taking care of her. Do we just leave the box in her enclosure all the time and check each evening for eggs? Do we keep it out and put it in if we see another random egg? I don't know what to tell him and he's working so won't have as much time as I have to tend to her. Do you think he'll need to add more water to the soil/sand mix over the course of three days? Help? Advice? Thank you!

mom2kando

Original Poster
She's back in there digging again. I so hope that she lays her eggs so I don't worry while away. This girl unexpectedly stole my heart-and I feel like she's my newest newborn babe!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They can definitely worry us to death!
Do you have anyone that is going to be coming over to check on her daily, at least
once or twice? That way, if she does have any trouble they can contact you as soon
as possible.
At least it seems like she has laid most of them. Many times they will lay a few others
intermittently after a large clutch.
Has she been eating well since she laid the initial eggs?

Tracie

mom2kando

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie! She did lay 18 eggs last night and stayed in the box all night (her choice- it is in her enclosure) She woke up this morning and ate one bite of food. She's basking now--and filthy! LOL! She needs a bath but my son wants to give her time to relax and warm up. My husband will be here while my son and I are away. I guess I'm just curious (for future) what to do about the lay bin? It takes up almost half of her enclosure. When we see signs of her being gravid -which we will better recognize now-Should we just put it in there and leave it until she digs a hole and then fills it up (assuming this behavior means she laid eggs)? Even if it takes days? Is it normal to lay eggs so close together? It's been less than 4 weeks. TIA

mom2kando

Original Poster
Just adding that since the initial egg laying a few weeks ago she has been eating well. She didn't eat much for the first few days after laying but her appetite improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom