Advice and tips for a beardie newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaroodthefab

I got a bearded dragon about a month ago from my friend, gotten a lot of info from staff at pet stores and this forum and everything seems to be going smoothly, but i wanted to post something to find out if i need to change anything and to find out if he's doing well from some of the more experienced owners on here. I'll try to keep it short and simple.

He is a juvinile, about 250 days old, bought from pet store.

Habitat:
Places to hide, green reptile carpet, one hammock close under heating lamp for basking in back left, enclosure is a bit cool (around 80-90 on hot side) but he seems okay with it, he roams around his tank a lot, not stayng under the lamp as often as you'd think, the hammock is very close to lamp so he can get nice and warm if he wants. UVA bulb is on 12h off 12h (bulb's brand is zoo med), i believe tank is standard 40 gallon screen top. His humidity is steady at around 50% unless i just washed his tank so i put a little fan on top to dry it out quicker.

94086-4573744806.jpg

feeding:
I have a small dish of fluker's buffet blend for juviniles that i refill when needed, he has another large dish with conditioned water that i refill when needed (not sure if he uses it or just evaporates). I feed him a salad of garden beet leaves every second day that i wash and break up topped with carrot peels and dried, calcium dusted crickets (he likes it and usually eats it all by the end of the day) and i feed him 5, 5 week feeder crickets in the morning and afternoon every day too.

His beard is usually a bit black, sometimes more (could be because tank is a bit too cool and humid?), but it's white when i take him out to hold him and let him explore (i try to for at least half an hour every day). I clean his tank about every week, wash mats, vaccumm spilled food and shed skin, clean glass with mild vinegar water solution and make sure it's dry and aired out before putting him and furniture back. His poop is wet and white/brown as it should so i believe he is hydrated and healthy, but it can stink a lot sometimes.

94086-8038010816.jpg

I have food and a pen for crickets, they survive well and i gut load them.

I have heard of bathing beardies, should i do this? if so, how, and how often?

thanks lots in advance for replies and advice! :D

Funny thing happened, brought him upstairs to look around, and the cat walked in, cat just stared at beardie wondering what it is but beardie didn't give a crap and walked towards the cat, cat got scared and ran XD.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He looks good. However those colored bulbs are garbage. You want a nice bright white basking light. I use halogen flood bulbs. Also the uvb does not put off efficient uvb. You want a reptisun 10.0 t5. You can also feed him more crickets. As many as he can eat in 15 minutes. So he can eat alot :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom