Adopted BD with severe MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

newt

Hi! I adopted a bearded dragon that has been growth stunted. Hes supposed to be a year old by now, but is only about little bigger than a 2month old. The previous owner did not provide UVA + UVB as well as barely any calcium supplements. Superworms were its diet until it stopped eating. Then its only food was lettuce before I got it.

112091-6180493245.jpg
Her pic the first day I got her.

She currently resides in a 32x16x16 enclosure, with a 25 watt incandescent bulb. She had a compact uvb that stayed with her for a week, until i removed it because she kept closing her eyes, although she might have been doing that even before I got her.

I have fed her thru syringe pedialyte and a slurry of baby food with calcium powder mixed in it. Just last thursday, i force fed her 4 red runner roaches, very small. Also just today, i force fed her again 5 dusted red runner roaches, and a few hours after, pooped brown.

112091-5819441643.jpg
Her pic after a week and a half

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get her a UVB from here ASAP ---- https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/light-fixtures/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 NO stick ons they are inaccurate for basking temps --
please start feeding her salads http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple--- please get her some BSFL from here www.symptonbsf.com - I am thinking she could eat large DO NOT DUST them they are great calcium worms - please get some dubiaroaches from here they are having a sale 15% off now www.dubaiaroaches.com-- she needs calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated -- since she is so small I would treat her as a baby -- she needs a good healthy diet along w/ good basking temps taken w/ the digital probe and good UVB this is imperative to her getting back to healthy --- you can use this type of bowl for the salads and roaches
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
When you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you get it set up w/ placement and distance this is crucial --- we need to stop the MBD from going any further -- and this UVB will do this --- your basking bulb needs to keep the temps to what I posted if she doesnt like that hot of a temp get it down to 95-100 but the bulb must be a bright white --- NO colored NO sand NO heat mats or rocks please

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Goodness, poor baby, how is your dragon doing?
I hope you are able to get some good UVB Lighting soon.
What type of supplementation are you using for her? We are pulling for her & will help you
with getting everything all setup properly. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

newt

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1n4emhyj said:
Please get her a UVB from here ASAP ---- https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/light-fixtures/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 NO stick ons they are inaccurate for basking temps --
please start feeding her salads http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple--- please get her some BSFL from here http://www.symptonbsf.com - I am thinking she could eat large DO NOT DUST them they are great calcium worms - please get some dubiaroaches from here they are having a sale 15% off now http://www.dubaiaroaches.com-- she needs calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated -- since she is so small I would treat her as a baby -- she needs a good healthy diet along w/ good basking temps taken w/ the digital probe and good UVB this is imperative to her getting back to healthy --- you can use this type of bowl for the salads and roaches
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
When you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you get it set up w/ placement and distance this is crucial --- we need to stop the MBD from going any further -- and this UVB will do this --- your basking bulb needs to keep the temps to what I posted if she doesnt like that hot of a temp get it down to 95-100 but the bulb must be a bright white --- NO colored NO sand NO heat mats or rocks please

Hello, I am going to reuse a t8 5.0 reptisun tube, i just need to get my fixture fixed by the electrician. Hopefully itll be ready 2 days from now.

It has been rainy since the day after you replied and I’ve only been able to let her bask once since then.

I’m about to get IR temp scanners as well hopefully by the end of the week, as I’ve read they’re more accurate. I live in a tropical country, but I haven’t been checking my temps, I just turn off all the lights at around 11am until 2pm here cause the day gets super hot, and I noticed my older beardie trying to get away from the lights at those times as well. For now, I’ve just been keeping my basking light on for my adopted beardie, Fix, and turning it of as well at noon.

Also, yes, she is supposed to be a year old by now, and I’m really hoping to reverse a bit of her MBD.

I’ve just bought BSFL here, thankfully they just cost 4 dollars for a 100gram tub.

112091-3160541062.jpg

I’ve also gotten her mustard greens, and it’s night here right now, so I’m gonna try and feed her those tomorrow.

Actually, I have extra questions. Is it okay for me to be force feeding her? Like I literally try to pry her mouth open and pop very small red runner roaches, dusted. It’s just that it was the only way I can make sure she actually gets something in her system. If it’s okay, I will try to do the same, but this time with BSFL.

newt

Original Poster
Drache613":2x0stild said:
Hello,

Goodness, poor baby, how is your dragon doing?
I hope you are able to get some good UVB Lighting soon.
What type of supplementation are you using for her? We are pulling for her & will help you
with getting everything all setup properly. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Well actually, the first day I got her, her colors were off, and then it got better, I think because of the lights, UVA + UVB compact. Then slowly, she got her stressed marks back, and her colors darkened. I was thinking she was compacted, maybe I did something wrong with the slurry food I was giving her. So I stopped that, just kept syringe feeding pedialyte, and started prying her mouth open and placing small red runner roaches. She has been able to chew a bit, just a bit, and then swallow. No energy to chase foodstuff though, so this is the only current way for me.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For her MBD she is going to need a 10.0 T 5 - the 5.0 bulb is not going to be strong enough for her MBD --- please get what I posted in my previous post -- she needs that UVB to be as good as you can get -- and the 5.0 is not the one you want -- MBD is not reversible you can keep it from getting worse but what is done now is done --- please get a better UVB than the 5.0-- its going to benefit her in the long run --- I would put the roaches in a mixture of slurry of greens -- make it runny and go in from the side of her mouth - and feed w/ a syringe - you may need another person to help you - you can get a credit card and slide in on the side of her mouth to get it open and put the syringe in then -- only feed little amounts at a time so she does not aspirate add water to the slurry so shes getting hydration too -- you wont be able to use your blender after you use it for roaches -- just fyi -- mix roaches greens maybe some squash in a blender w/ water I would feed her maybe 1/2 ml to 1 ml a couple of times per day - add a pinch of calcium D3 to the slurry - but you MUST have a good UVB ---

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? You definitely will want to upgrade your UVB light to a tube
bulb instead of a compact/coil light.
She might have some trouble passing food through if she has metabolic bone disease due to
poor muscular tone. For now, stick with soft bodied insects, but integrate them slowly. Have
you tried simply dripping the slurry onto the end of her nose so you wont need to pry her mouth
open? Usually if they like the flavor they should start licking the food or fluids off of their nose.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom