Adenovirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still waiting on the fecal and blood test results. Was just told Monday now...... He is 4-6 yrs old. Not sure, got him from a pet store 3+ years ago. 660 grams last weighed, 19 inches. Healthy clean bill of health 6/7 months ago. Started off in a 40 gallon breeder tank. Reptisun tube uvb, halogen bulb for basking, 105 to 107 hot, 85 cool. Paper towel for substrate. Dubia roaches, super worms and the occasional hornworm. Variety of salads offered 2 times a day. Calcium with s3 on Sunday's, vitamin on Tuesday and regular calcium on Thursdays. Got a 4x2x2. Moved him last Thursday 8/1. Ate first 3 days. Got 4 roaches on Sunday. Pooped several times, started getting more loose, runny. Tuesday morning a whole undigested roach came out. Realized he may not be getting h
Warm enough. Hadn't been moving from his basking logs. Moved him back to his 40 gallon as I can adjust the closeness of his basking light in there. Wednesday morning total blackbeard. Lethargic. Took him to emergency vet. Blood work still isnt back.... took fecal in yesterday. Vet won't be back till Monday now. I'm assuming nothing came of it. He is on panacur as he had a nasty bout of pinworms last years so just a precaution. Benabac, and omnicare. Hes "stable" right now. Daily soaks. Syringe feeding food and water. Hes not dropping more weight but I dont believe he is absorbing what he needs. Both head and tail pads are pretty much depleted. Now this happened extremely fast. He digested all but 1 roach. Everything that I've been reading points to the virus. Could the stress of the move and lack of heat that he is used too caused this to flair up? I had cleaned the tank with ammonia water mix and steamed it. Glass doors, the slides. The works. Black bearding on and off since Friday. He did have diarrhea that was mainly urate after the undigested roach and was given fluids at the vet. Xray showed nothing obvious. Had a poo yesterday and today. The color of the omnicare. Loose urate but a decent size. Idk where to go from here as I have to wait so long for the results. Which I'm assuming show nothing wrong. Could it be the virus? If so, what do I do?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What exactly are the symptoms you are concerned about? At 600g+ you dont need to be worried about fat pads. He has a lot of mass on him that not a concern at all.

And the poo, well that's not really a worrysome symptom either. Changes in environment cause stress, and stress can cause irregular stools just like it can with us. Additionally if his tank wasnt hot enough he wouldn't be digesting properly.

I've read your post twice but honestly it doesnt sound like there is actually anything wrong with him. The black beard is always concerning, but it sounds like their was some environmental issues at play (the upset tummy and cool temps)He just went through some stress and couldn't digest properly.
What are the temps in his tank now? And how are you measuring them?
How long

I'd be cautious with going down the medical route just because a lot of times there isnt actually something wrong, and blind treatments can lead to there actually being something wrong. If there is a reason to medicate, you should, but be cautious of "doing things" just for the sake of doing them. Weve seen that mindset turn relatively healthy dragons into sick dragons. Getting the bloodwork will help though. If you can, post a copy up for us here to review too.
Has he actually been diagnosed with adv in the past?

Hope everything works out!

-Brandon

Ninjasmom16

Original Poster
I measure with a temp gun. Its about 108 where he has been laying. He does move when he gets too hot. No he hasn't been diagnosed with it. and I really don't know where anything could have come from. Nothing has changed. He got really dehydrated really fast. He is in the middle of a shed. It was 102 on his logs in the 4x2x2. I know moving can place strain on them which is why I was leaving him alone except for feeding. Then I saw the roach and decided to move him back. He hasn't eaten since Sunday which is why the vet did the omnicare. Dor the most part hes not black bearding but his eyes are really sunken in, that's what scared me the most and the full on black from his chin to the middle of his chest on Wednesday morning. He had calmed down after the vet. But it is on and off.

Ninjasmom16

Original Poster
Really lethargic and limp. Thought he might have been twitchy this morning but dont know if my eyes were just playing tricks on. I've offered regular food and a hornworm and he just closes his eyes.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is his beard black all of the time right now, or does it lighten up any?
His eyes do look a bit sunken to me. How much oral fluids are you able to get into him right
now?
When do the blood test results come back? Did the vet not have any suggestions on what
could be going on with him?
Did his beard darken after getting on Panacur & what is the dose he is on now? Continue to
give the benebac & omnivore care to help balance out his system while he is on meds.
Try to keep him at or around 80 overnight to help boost his immune system.
What type of UVB lighting are you using currently?
If you wanted to test for Adeno, you can sign up on my adeno testing site at:
www.thepats.info

It is only $20 to do a fecal swab to have a PCR adeno test done.

Tracie

Ninjasmom16

Original Poster
Hi, sorry I haven't posted. Its pneumonia. My vet believes that he had mild uri and when I moved him the stress set it into full blown. The scary thing is that his glucose is 350. He wants to treat the pneumonia first and then retest his blood to see if it has gone down or maintained or risen. Said if it was 600 or higher they would know that it was that tumor that causes those levels. I am keeping him warmer during the day, with a CHE at night. The black bearding is not presenting as much. Mainly when I try to feed him. He is getting a shot every 3 days for 10 doses of (100mg?) Ceftazidime. I'm not forcing the omnicar as much. I'm trying not stress him if I can. I did a little this morning. Plus the same with water. Hes moving around when he gets too hot or cold. Hes a little wobbly. Cuz he in the middle of a shed, I am still doing soaks. Hes been sleeping a lot. I've tried offering regular food. He almost seems interested, but isnt up to it yet I guess. Doesn't like the shots at all. A few of his other levels in his blood are high but my vet believes that it is because of the infection. So now it's just a waiting game. He honestly did not show any signs at all. No mucous, hiccuping like breaths, coughing, nothing. That's why I thought it had to be adenovirus because of how fast he became dehydrated and lethargic. I just wanted him to have a bigger space because he's still growing and he is too big for this enclosure.

Ninjasmom16

Original Poster
The fecal was also clean. Said he had good bacteria's in there. It looked really "healthy" for a runny poo.

Ninjasmom16

Original Poster
Oh and I had the results on Saturday and he got his first shot then. So 2 so far. It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I feel like I see I slight improvement. I know it is really hard for them to overcome this. But I am hopeful because he was so healthy.

Ninjasmom16

Original Poster
Stopped the panacur after the fecal results. Sorry, just got off work and my mind is all over the place. He has been doing a little head jerk kind of motion. Like when you start to nod off and jerk your head up in surprise. That was the jerking I was just barely catching him doing. He will hold his head up and then slowly lower it.

Ninjasmom16

Original Poster
The water is really just a few cc's a day. He did use the restroom this morning and it looked like mainly the benac. But the urate was good if really soft. I meant to take a picture but I was on my way out the door for work when he went and just didn't want to leave it in there. I'm off the next 3 days so I'll be able to actively monitor all of his behavior.

Ninjasmom16

Original Poster
Got this yesterday morning. I'm confused by the color because the benabac is turquoise and the omni care is tan. I can see traces of both, but should I be worried about the darker part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom