Adding a Florescent Tube for Added Light? Yes or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschasch

https://imgur.com/a/ankrusp

Here's his new setup, but I've seen a noticeable decrease in his energy levels and appetite, and he goes to bed really early ever since being introduced to his new tank! :banghead:

I'm wondering if its possibly because it's too dark? The Picture really makes it look a lot brighter than it looks in person. So i was thinking of adding a florescent tube light that spans the size of the tank to help aid in natural light and give him more UVA?

This is taken directly from the stickied "Lighting Help For Newbies"
Do I need a light on the cool side?
Technically you don't, but it can be helpful. I used a regular house light in mine for some extra heat during the winter, and during the summer I use a coiled "energy saver" light bulb to add some visual light. Otherwise the cool side tends to be rather dark. Since visual light/UVA helps stimulate a beardie's appetite and encourages them to be more active, having more bright lights is never a bad thing!
Which makes me think a florescent tube light would be perfect, without changing his temps around at all! Any Input or advice would be greatly appreciated as i'd like to get things fixed as quickly as possible for my little guy!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You're right it doesnt look like it's too dark for him, but you can add a second fluorescent if you want. I'd go with a full spectrum one if you can. Preferably one that you can see a chart of its spectral analysis first. This will help mimic more of the sun than just a regular florescent.

-Brandon

Rschasch

Original Poster
claudiusx":1f9bts25 said:
You're right it doesnt look like it's too dark for him, but you can add a second fluorescent if you want. I'd go with a full spectrum one if you can. Preferably one that you can see a chart of its spectral analysis first. This will help mimic more of the sun than just a regular florescent.

-Brandon

Brandon, as always, thanks for your quick response!

Are there any "preferred" or "recommended" brands I could stick with so i can be sure its the correct one? The full spectrum definitely sounds like what i need!

Also, am i correct in assuming more light could help with his energy levels and appetite? I want him to be healthy and happy, I'm just concerned with blinding him with too much light if that makes sense?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Let me link you to a thread on this in the advance lighting section one sec... (I'm on mobile so it's hard to jump around and copy/paste things lol)

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Rschasch":3vy8zx7z said:
Are there any "preferred" or "recommended" brands I could stick with so i can be sure its the correct one? The full spectrum definitely sounds like what i need!
In my search for a fixture, SunBlaster has some bulbs that should fit the bill. Or google: full spectrum fluorescent, and go from there.

Also, am i correct in assuming more light could help with his energy levels and appetite? I want him to be healthy and happy, I'm just concerned with blinding him with too much light if that makes sense?
You mean like... brighter than the Australian Outback (Desert)? :roll:
I think you'd need a lot of bulbs to make things that bright. :D

Best Wishes.

Rschasch

Original Poster
claudiusx":2b1z9glu said:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=235017

It's a good discussion. It's a bit older but you should learn a lot. I'm not sure all the links work for products that were found, but it will at least give you and idea of what to look out for let us know if you find anything you like as I'm genuinely curious too and looking into it.

-Brandon

Brandon, thanks for sharing that article! It was very in depth and seems Charmander put a lot of time and energy into his research! I looked into sunblaster, and they have a full spectrum light that i think may fit the bill!

https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-O...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ABMSV22CSAKQMW30MN83

For only $30 bucks that not bad! I'm going to give it a shot because it definitely seems like the new tank is lacking in the lighting department...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have that same bulb. Multiples actually. I buy those fixtures for my reptisuns and they come with the bulb lol. Idk why I completely forgot about that. I haven't seen a spectral analysis of the bulb though. They do state it's full spectrum though. I might reach out to them and ask for the data just to see.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":3hfvh2zd said:
I might reach out to them and ask for the data just to see.
I was thinking of similar regarding their "white" reflectors (asking for data) with regard to UV-B, or to ask them to provide a mirrored reflector choice/option for their reptile customers (I have no idea if they even know they have a reptile market). :dontknow:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They probably thought they were gonna hit it big in the pot market. Nope just crazy lizard people LOL.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
FWIW I did find a chart on their website in regards to their fixture and bulb. On their site they refer to it as a grow light and state its spectra peaks at two points where photosynthesis is most affected. So its interesting that on Amazon they list it as full spectrum but on their site they state it's a grow light with 2 spikes in the spectra.

-Brandon

Rschasch

Original Poster
claudiusx":16uesywr said:
FWIW I did find a chart on their website in regards to their fixture and bulb. On their site they refer to it as a grow light and state its spectra peaks at two points where photosynthesis is most affected. So its interesting that on Amazon they list it as full spectrum but on their site they state it's a grow light with 2 spikes in the spectra.

-Brandon

So since there are spikes in the color spectrum would you recommend not using it inside the tank?

I know it wont be quite as beneficial as a full spectrum, but for additional light would it not work?

I definitely don't want to put anything detrimental into the tank!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I don't see how there would be anything detrimental; you'll still have your UV-B bulb.

It might turn your dragon a healthy shade of verdant green, though... :mrgreen:

Rschasch

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":xmq79zls said:
I don't see how there would be anything detrimental; you'll still have your UV-B bulb.

It might turn your dragon a healthy shade of verdant green, though... :mrgreen:

:lol: Green dragon!

That's what im thinking! I think its will still add a lot of light to the tank, as well as a bit more on the spectrum!

I'll still have the reptisun 10.0, plus the basking bulb. Seems like i'd be hitting at least the majority of the full spectrum, which has got to be better for him, than without... I hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom