Acting weird, could it be brumation or sick?

Lissy123

Beardie name(s)
Henry
Hi everyone would like some advice please my beardie has been acting weird for about 5 days, first few days he was pacing back and fourth his tank and trying to climb the walls, then that settled and all he is doing now is hiding comes out now and again, it seems a bit like he agitated, not eating worms or salad but eating dubias. He just doesn’t seem happy so not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if he’s Sick or ready for brumation ? any advice would be much appreciated thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone would like some advice please my beardie has been acting weird for about 5 days, first few days he was pacing back and fourth his tank and trying to climb the walls, then that settled and all he is doing now is hiding comes out now and again, it seems a bit like he agitated, not eating worms or salad but eating dubias. He just doesn’t seem happy so not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if he’s Sick or ready for brumation ? any advice would be much appreciated thank you.
Please go over the surface basking temps and ambient temps - your uvb is it a coil or long tube fixture-- any colored bulbs being used- we need to rule out lighting first and temps--

Lissy123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Henry
Please go over the surface basking temps and ambient temps - your uvb is it a coil or long tube fixture-- any colored bulbs being used- we need to rule out lighting first and temps--
Hi karrie the basking spot is 36 the cool side is 26 hot side is 31. Bulb is habistat 100w uvb is Arcadia pro t5 uvb 12% 39w he keeps opening his mouth so I’m wondering if he’s too hot or too cold

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi karrie the basking spot is 36 the cool side is 26 hot side is 31. Bulb is habistat 100w uvb is Arcadia pro t5 uvb 12% 39w he keeps opening his mouth so I’m wondering if he’s too hot or too cold
Hes gaping that is good -- adjusting his body temp --- is the UVB in the tank or top of screen --

Lissy123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Henry
Hes gaping that is good -- adjusting his body temp --- is the UVB in the tank or top of screen --
Hi Karrie thank you for getting back to me yes it’s in the tank attached to the top of the tank, he seems to be gasping in the cool area too which he’s never done before, I say he but he could be a she. Do you think it could be brumation? He’s never acted like this before he’s been glass surfing too. He’s happy to get out his tank and run around, not eating his normal food but happy to eat dubias, hiding a lot. Not sure what to do as he seems quite off
Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi Karrie thank you for getting back to me yes it’s in the tank attached to the top of the tank, he seems to be gasping in the cool area too which he’s never done before, I say he but he could be a she. Do you think it could be brumation? He’s never acted like this before he’s been glass surfing too. He’s happy to get out his tank and run around, not eating his normal food but happy to eat dubias, hiding a lot. Not sure what to do as he seems quite off
Thank you
He shouldnt be gasping-- If hes gaping he shouldnt be on the cool side --- only on his basking side - how are you getting the temps in the tank? For surface it should be a digital probe thermometer and stick ons are ok for ambient- please make sure your UVB is directly over a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches -- correct temps and good UVB we can rule those out--- as to why hes agitated I am not sure if everything is good in the tank --

Lissy123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Henry
He shouldnt be gasping-- If hes gaping he shouldnt be on the cool side --- only on his basking side - how are you getting the temps in the tank? For surface it should be a digital probe thermometer and stick ons are ok for ambient- please make sure your UVB is directly over a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches -- correct temps and good UVB we can rule those out--- as to why hes agitated I am not sure if everything is good in the tank --
Hi karrie The temps are done with a digital probe thermometer, the uvb is directly above, well as close as it can get to his bulb which is above his basking spot, and it’s 13 inches from the top of his basking log to the uvb light. We’ve had him since April and not changed anything in his tank so all seems abit weird that he’s acting this way.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi karrie The temps are done with a digital probe thermometer, the uvb is directly above, well as close as it can get to his bulb which is above his basking spot, and it’s 13 inches from the top of his basking log to the uvb light. We’ve had him since April and not changed anything in his tank so all seems abit weird that he’s acting this way.
Ok so let him do his thing--get a weight on him - kitchen food scale and weigh in grams-- keep track - he's maybe going into brumation they do slow down w/ food this time of year-

Lissy123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Henry
thank you Karrie I’ll order some kitchen scales and weigh him, should he be a certain weight?

Lissy123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Henry
A good weight for a adult is over 300 grams
Thank you again karrie you’ve been great help, I’ve ordered the scales they should be arriving tomorrow so I can weigh him. He had a few dubias this morning and basked for abit then he’s been in his hide all day he was awake just lying in there, I’ve just been to feed him and he’s curled up in his hide sleeping. Do you think I should try and wake him to feed or leave him be. His light isn’t due to be turned off for couple more hours thank you again

Lissy123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Henry
A good weight for a adult is over 300 grams
Thank you again karrie you’ve been great help, I’ve ordered the scales they should be arriving tomorrow so I can weigh him. He had a few dubias this morning and basked for abit then he’s been in his hide all day he was awake just lying in there, I’ve just been to feed him and he’s curled up in his hide sleeping. Do you think I should try and wake him to feed or leave him be. His light isn’t due to be turned off for couple more hours

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you again karrie you’ve been great help, I’ve ordered the scales they should be arriving tomorrow so I can weigh him. He had a few dubias this morning and basked for abit then he’s been in his hide all day he was awake just lying in there, I’ve just been to feed him and he’s curled up in his hide sleeping. Do you think I should try and wake him to feed or leave him be. His light isn’t due to be turned off for couple more hours
I would just leave him -- its good he ate and then basked - they do tend to get lazy and more sleepy this time of year --- mine go into their hides as well and just look out --- they tend to do this more so in the fall/ winter months -

Lissy123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Henry
I would just leave him -- its good he ate and then basked - they do tend to get lazy and more sleepy this time of year --- mine go into their hides as well and just look out --- they tend to do this more so in the fall/ winter months -
Thank you that’s put my mind to rest abit, so scary thought there might of been something wrong with him, do you think it’s best to turn his light off abit earlier

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom