Acorn Squash and all the others

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchMitch

How do you feed this to your beardie? Do you cook it first? peel it and then chop it up raw? HELP!!!
I have some sitting on my counter but dont know what to do! Clueless! :dontknow:

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Some people cook the squash first, others feed it raw. My beardie prefers it raw. Of course, your beardie will benefit from it the most raw, since cooking always takes some of the nutrients out. When fed raw...either shred or grate it or cut into small pieces, depending on the size of your beardie.

Dawn :D

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
You might want to microwave it first with acorn squash sine it has ridges which makes it difficult to peel when you try to grate it raw. Just microwave it until it's slightly soft and easy to cut the peel away. But when I use butternut squash, I use it raw because it is easier to work with. I cut the neck off and then place it on the cutting board and slowly run my knife down the peel taking off as little meet as possible, and then I grate the orange flesh on the cheese grater. As for the bottom part of it, which contains all the seeds, I just cut it in half lengthwise and use the spoon to scoop out the seeds,then set it on the cutting board with the flat edge on the cutting board so it is easier to work with and less dangerous because it's more stable (try cutting it when it's wobbly.... Oh man!) and then do the same thing as you did with the neck, just run your knife down the peel taking as little flesh off as possible and then grate them on a cheese grater. Hope this help!

MitchMitch

Original Poster
Wow... thank you both sooooo much! I used my potato peeler and peeled a section and then used my chopper..... came out nicely!

Thanks again!! I love this site!

Mommy of Sunny

Juvie Member
Sunny loves summer squash. He will eat shreds that are raw and also boiled squash. One of his favorites. I will have to try the acorn squash too!

MitchMitch

Original Poster
Hey guys... after you shred it, or chop it... do you just put it in the fridge to store it for a while?
And the other day at the store - I actually found a cactus pear!!! but it has many many seeds... not sure if they can eat the seeds. And OMG is it hard to get all the seeds out!!!!! Any advice on that? Not quite sure how to serve up this one! :dontknow:

Mommy of Sunny

Juvie Member
I am not sure about the cactus pear...

But with the squash or any other veggies, I put the left over in a small container and keep it for a few days. I either serve it to him at room temperature or you can even micro it to soften in up. Letting it cool before giving it to them.

Gosh, do we spoil our beardies or what????? :roll:

MitchMitch

Original Poster
OMGosh... tell me about it..... i was just holding Spike (my 6yr old named him/her) and i couldnt imagine not having him around. I search market after market for good staples from the food list. Never thought a lizard could be so sweet.
Thanks for the Squash tips! I have the Acorn Squash now... but will try the others in a few weeks. :D
I must say.. he is a GOOD eater!

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
The winter squash like acorn, butternut squash and kabocha, can be part of his staple diet. Squashes is one of the recommended food to use as staple for iguana, but we all know in captivity they pretty eat the same thing unless we can duplicate what they eat in the wild buy getting the plants that they eat in the wild. Both my iguana and bearded love them.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
MitchMitch":afc49 said:
And the other day at the store - I actually found a cactus pear!!! but it has many many seeds... not sure if they can eat the seeds. And OMG is it hard to get all the seeds out!!!!! Any advice on that? Not quite sure how to serve up this one! :dontknow:

I personally have never used the cactus pear, but would reccomend getting as many seeds out as possible. A few seeds here and there are okay, but too many may cause impaction, especially in a smaller beardie. I'm sure someone is going to debate me on this so let me clarify... MAY cause impaction. Seeds are just harder to digest. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom