Acacia T5 12% vs14% uvb trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to buy a bigger vivarium for Thanos, our 13 month old bearded dragon. She is currently in an 86cm x 49cm x 56cn and we are upgrading to a 120cm x 61cm x 61cm vivexotic one. She is only about 15 inches and weighs about 275g but seems healthy and is still putting weight on every week! I need to also get a longer uvb bulb but not sure whether to get a T5 12% or a T5 14%. I read somewhere that the 14% is for vivs over 50cm height but I cannot find the article now! Which would be best as I want to screw it to the roof rather than have it dangling on wire? P. S. I live in the UK. Thanks ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What is the distance going to be, to your dragon? Are you going to mount it on top of
the screen or underneath it?
Either the 12% or 14% would be fine really. The 14% is a bit stronger so if you are looking
for the stronger output it will reach a little further. They are both excellent lights!

Tracie

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
Thanks for that - the top of the enclosure is solid so the uvb light would be inside and I'm guessing the mounted light would be around 20 inches from the top of the substrate so with decor, basking log etc we could get her up to anywhere between12 and 18 inches away from it. Thanks

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
This will help you decide best placement for either :
tie-the-old-arcadia-guide-to-the-new-arcadia-guide.png

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
Our current T5 is 22 inches/24w in a 34 inch tank which I think will be too short for the new 48 inch tank as it will be less than half the tank. The bigger 39w is 34 inches so I think would be better. Still unsure on 12% or 14% ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
theyellowlabrador":377bw713 said:
Our current T5 is 22 inches/24w in a 34 inch tank which I think will be too short for the new 48 inch tank as it will be less than half the tank. The bigger 39w is 34 inches so I think would be better. Still unsure on 12% or 14% ?

a 22in tube will be idea for a 4ft long tank.
Bear in mind the end of the tube over the basking spot is not going to be butted against the very end of the tank , but will be about 6" to 12" from the end , so the tube will be illuminating about 3/4 the length of the tank ( the beam from the tube will radiate between 6" to 12" from each each of the tube ( reflector hood ) .
A picture is worth 1000 words . So to keep it easy ( in line with my usual engineering approach = K.I.S.S. )
PLACEMENT-OF-TUBE-AND-HOOD.png

So the only aspect remaining is how far from the tube / tube & reflector hood will the basking spot be ?

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
Oh okay I thought the tube needed to be 2/3 of the whole tank size so 2/3 of the 48ins would make the tube needing to be 32ins long which acacia don't make (just the 22in and 34in). Can I also ask, would you site the tube in the middle of the lid or to the back or to the front? It's currently in the middle. Thanks for your help ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
theyellowlabrador":29d5sgps said:
Oh okay I thought the tube needed to be 2/3 of the whole tank size so 2/3 of the 48ins would make the tube needing to be 32ins long which acacia don't make (just the 22in and 34in). Can I also ask, would you site the tube in the middle of the lid or to the back or to the front? It's currently in the middle. Thanks for your help ?

On the centerline of the long axis of the lid , offset only enough to accommodate the basking globe and it's ceramic e27 light fitting.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
theyellowlabrador":1ojtdmsk said:
Our current T5 is 22 inches/24w in a 34 inch tank which I think will be too short for the new 48 inch tank as it will be less than half the tank. The bigger 39w is 34 inches so I think would be better. ....
Wattage really has nothing to do with anything except that longer T5s draw more power than shorter ones (which makes sense). It doesn't affect the intensity/strength of the UVB, distance, etc.

24" or 36" (nominal)... Either one. :dontknow: The point I was trying to make is that if the 24" is sufficient, you don't need to get a 36", but you still can if you want to. Personally, I'd save the money to use for bulbs, decor, or any of the other myriad incidentals we find to spend on our lizard chums. :lol:

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
Okay so I thought I would buy a new longer one as I needed to replace the tube anyway so I bought the arcadia t5 39w 34" long, But now I've just noticed I bought the 14% one with reflector ? - will this be too strong inside the 24" high viv? It is a solid wood roof so no option to put on the top aargh
I could probably exchange it once it arrives but at the present time, during the coronavirus, it is difficult ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You will haft to strap it to the top inside at the top and it will work since your height is 24 " which is what is recommended - just have the decor piece sitting under it but not very high --- the UVB is strong --- I am using a 24" 14% Arcadia in my 4x2x2 tank and have the fixture towards the front of the tank kinda centered --- Blaze has room to get out of those rays if he wants to-- his basking spot is towards the back and he goes to both
Karrie

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
Thanks Karrie ? Can I just check, did you mean you are using a 34" long 14% in a 4x2x2 viv or do you have different lengths of tube in the US to the UK? I am a bit concerned as she is a bit of a climber and likes to climb up her artificial plants which obviously would take her closer to the tube - am I worrying unnecessarily will she just decide where is best for her? Thanks again ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom