Acacia T5 12% vs14% uvb trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
theyellowlabrador":1n7pha4b said:
Karrie are you also using yours with a reflector? Sorry for all the questions

A good quality properly made and designed reflector or reflector hood will essentially double the UVA and UVB flux under the tube.
It needs to be parabolic in profile -
concentrating-effect-of-a-parabolic-reflector-on-incident-light-from-a-tube-centred-on-the-focal-axi.png

This is what happens with
effect-of-reflector-on-a-uv-tube-flux-map.png

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My fixture is a 24" Zoom Med - it has a reflector -- the lengths are the same over there as well I believe I dont have any plants in Blazes tank --- here is a pic of how its set up---
97951-7863920475.jpg
Karrie

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
Totally baffled by science now ? - does that mean the 34" long 39w, 14% arcadia t5 with reflector is too strong for the 2ft high viv kingofnobbys?
Karrie ours is the Arcadia t5 14% 39w 34" long different make I thought I'd seen in one of your previous posts that you used the arcadia type too. Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
this is the bulb I am using in Blazes tank
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/thumbnails/220/220/detailed/10/Arcadia-12_-UVB-T5.jpg
I dont think the bulbs are different - w / a reflector the bulb is intensified and w/ the 14% you need the height so its not overbearing --- you dont want a fixture the same length of the tank - they need to be able to escape the rays of the UVB --- they say you can use a 14% in a taller tank but not recommended for shorter tanks
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
theyellowlabrador":2u1uqdvd said:
Totally baffled by science now ? - does that mean the 34" long 39w, 14% arcadia t5 with reflector is too strong for the 2ft high viv kingofnobbys?
<<< With a reflector, the ideal UVB level will be found about 45cm ( 18 inches ) from the tube. See chart I gave earlier .
<<< a naked 14% tube with give ideal UVB level about 22cm ( 9 inches ) from the tube
<<< a t5ho 14% UVB tube is fine in a tank 2 ft tall .

Karrie ours is the Arcadia t5 14% 39w 34" long different make I thought I'd seen in one of your previous posts that you used the arcadia type too. Thanks

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
Thank you for the explanation ? - I just want to do the best fir her. She is supposed to be my Son's pet but I love her too
bits and don't want to risk doing things wrong again. Like a lot of people we did little research before we got her hence the buying of a 4ft viv now and not originally!! Thanks again everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom