A Simple (and Cheap!) Tank Stand Solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawburriez

Hatchling Member
Earlier this week, my mum and I picked out a new, adult size tank for my (at the moment) only bearded dragon, Paarthurnax. We got a discount on the tank, so it was actually pretty manageable price-wise, but the problem was that we didn't have any kind of table or stand that we could put it on that was big and/or sturdy enough. We looked at stands in the PetSmart where we bought the tank, but all those big enough would have cost more than the tank itself. So, we decided to improvise.

We went to our local hardware store and bought six standard size cinderblocks. 8x8x16. We also had two lengths of thick, sturdy, cheap wood cut to match the length and width of the new tank. These materials were about $35, all together, whereas the stands/cabinets at PetSmart were upwards of $150. We also picked up a few cans of cherry red and black indoor/outdoor Krylon gloss spray paint. I took the cinderblocks and wood out to our driveway to paint them, while wearing disposable gloves and a face mask from walmart. I painted the blocks cherry red, and the wood black. Once stacked in my room (two blocks, a plank for a shelf, another block and the top plank) I carefully positioned the tank on top, filled it with hideyholes and climbing materials and food dishes and got the lights into place, and viola! It's cheap, it's sturdy, it's easy, and it actually looks pretty awesome! Though it certainly doesn't match every style of room decor, if you're looking to save a buck and aren't too picky about appearances (or have the kind of room it will actually look good in) then it's a great solution.

Hope somebody finds this helpful!

Brieana

Hatchling Member
I did this with my turtle tank a few months ago! I painted the cinder blocks a cream color and stained the wood a dark chocolate color. I placed a thin piece if plywood between the blocks as a shelf. It looks so neat!

Strawburriez

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Glad to hear it might be of some help. :3 Here is a picture of the whole thing, all put together in my room:

simple_tank_stand_by_theearthwhispers-d594ceg.jpg

And a few pics of my baby, Paarthurnax, just for good measure. ;3 Enjoy!

paarty_glasses_2_by_theearthwhispers-d594c9j.jpg

paarty_glasses_3_by_theearthwhispers-d594cav.jpg

Strawburriez

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! He's a mischievous little bum, for sure. Glad the idea is being put to good use, too! If anybody else who uses the idea can post pictures, that would be neat. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom