A NEW ACT THAT MIGHT MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO OWN BEARDIES...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
First some background on my town: we are the "whitest town." I don't mean ratio of black to white population, but how we act. The new mayor wants us to have a leash law for dogs AND cats. Dogs I can understand, but cats? My cat would claw my eyes out before being put in a leash. Plus cats are more likely to get caught and strangled to death on collars. And this is all because a few "high ranking" people don't want cat poo on their lawn. -.-'

SkeptiBee

Hatchling Member
lol my cats would freak if I tried to get a harness on them. I can't even put collars on them as they get their legs stuck in them trying to get them off (sometimes the safety latch didn't spring) so I decided against using collars period. They are both indoor cats only. They used to be strays, but my townhome is right up against a large park and we have lots of coyotes, foxes, and vehicles zooming around that I don't want to risk their safety.

Little story: when I first moved into my town home I had this flower box right in front of my living room window. It was the only window on the lower floor, so in the summer I liked to keep it open. Eventually this smell began to filter in my house very much like a cat box. When I inspected the flower box, it was completely filled with feces. Turns out, all of the neighborhood cats we using it as their collective litter box. Beyond nasty. So I ripped up the flower box, chucked it and six bags of cat poo out for trash pick up. Cats can't go there anymore because underneath the flower box was rough pointy rocks. :twisted:

So yeah, I'm not a fan of cats pooing on my lawn either. ;) But that law is making me giggle none the less.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
That's just ew. My cat, Stinky (my grandma named him) goes out back to use the bathroom and our dog goes wherever :roll:

Oniko

NEVER! How dare they.

How about put money in to education on the PROPER care of animals!

I WILL NEVER GIVE MY BABIES UP!!!

Melody12

Hatchling Member
They'd have to pry my baby away from my cold dead fingers. Melody's a member of my family and therefore a child in my eyes. I wouldn't give her up for the world. If she goes, I go. No one takes any member of my family away! I won't allow anything to happen to her. What a waste of time and effort to seize all the reptiles in the US just because there are irresponsible owners out there letting go domesticated reptiles out into the wild because they grow too big.

My bearded dragon's an unregistered service animal to my disorder. That's the problem with these people. They don't think that animals and reptiles can be beneficial to those who have a mental impairment or a disability like Autism. (I do have Autism and Melody and the rest of my animals help me in different ways no human has.)

Melody's my baby! Oh, I signed a petition regarding this regulation on change.org instead.

megaglaze

Lets all be sensible about this. Just sign the petition, hug your beardie, buy a gun, and if anyone tries to take your beardie ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

zandi202

BD.org Addict
megaglaze":3ib1l0y1 said:
Lets all be sensible about this. Just sign the petition, hug your beardie, buy a gun, and if anyone tries to take your beardie ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Honey, I think you missed a step... You need to get a license and then a gun :lol:

Not to mention you might need anger management lol. jk

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
Wow i love living in Canada! I would not let anyone take my dragons. Plus it gets -40C here in the winter. No dragon could survive. Its even too cold in the summer. It only gets up to about 40C in the summer. I would laugh to see them try an take dragons away. I know there are a lot of animals that are causing troubles in the states because people let them go but really even if drgons could thrive in the states i don't think they would do much harm. A dragon is more liklu to get eaten by a large bird or a cat or a snake in the states in the wild.

garrett15

Hatchling Member
Why is are government woried about taking are pets and guns when norh korea is threatning to bomb us U would think theyd have better things they would to do :x :x

JessicaJ

They said wildlife.....We couldn't own dogs or cats :| I think their blowing poop

{Comments removed by moderator. This is a PG-13 forum, bad language is not allowed here.}

SkeptiBee":1c97n947 said:
zandi202":1c97n947 said:
Honestly I think the government just gets bored from time to time and this is what happens.

No, native species that are overrun by escaped or released non-native species is a serious problem. Perhaps you not aware of the issues in Florida where the Burmese pythons are over breeding and eating virtually anything and everything they want in the Everglades. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120813155523.htm They've been encouraging hunters to come in and track down as many snakes as they can, giving them bounty money for the skins or snakes they retrieve.

I will grant you that it's not the fault of the animals in these cases. It's stupid owners doing stupid things. Something tells me that most of us members wouldn't be turning our bearded dragons loose, throwing our hands to the skies ala Free Willy style as we yelled "BE FREE LIL GUY!", if we couldn't take care of it anymore. We'd be responsible and seek a home for it. But there are very thoughtless humans out there that are not responsible for the things they do. They end up ruining it for the rest of us. Like I said, I don't think something like this would pass. Congress is too busy trying to prevent gays from marrying... :roll:

Pythons in Florida are a serious problem, SkeptiBee, and one that government intervention will certainly be required to fix.

This isn't the way to do it, though. Previous posters have been right to point out that the most destructive species are ones that are domesticated- cats, dogs, and rabbits. If the Federal Government wishes to address the problem, it needs to be addressed. This is feel-good legislation at its worst. State bans on the importation of wildlife are tailored to the local area. Quite frankly, a Burmese python in Maine or Alaska poses no long-term threat to the environment... and maybe people should be allowed to own such animals, if they pose no threat. In Florida, widespread measures are needed to stop pythons and monitors from destroying the local environment. Unfortunately, my home state of Indiana needs a similar measure against cats. At the very least, hunters should be allowed to shoot feral cats, but the feel-good hippies identify more with their murderous, blood-thirsty felines than the local songbirds.

SkeptiBee

Hatchling Member
EmpNortonII":1pj0k9xu said:
Pythons in Florida are a serious problem, SkeptiBee, and one that government intervention will certainly be required to fix.

This isn't the way to do it, though. Previous posters have been right to point out that the most destructive species are ones that are domesticated- cats, dogs, and rabbits.

Uh.. yeah. I was the one who first mentioned how crazy it was for cats to be on the safe list when they are the biggest native bird killers.

If the Federal Government wishes to address the problem, it needs to be addressed. This is feel-good legislation at its worst. State bans on the importation of wildlife are tailored to the local area. Quite frankly, a Burmese python in Maine or Alaska poses no long-term threat to the environment... and maybe people should be allowed to own such animals, if they pose no threat. In Florida, widespread measures are needed to stop pythons and monitors from destroying the local environment.

I have no idea why you directed this at me. I already said the same thing:
SkeptiBee":1pj0k9xu said:
Honestly, if this type of thing should ever crop up, it should be on a state level and not a national one. The state would know what needs to be done in order to curtail local issues of invasive species. No sense punishing people at a national level if there are no problems elsewhere. Besides, once recovery is made, they can lift the restrictions again. It's happened with hunting in certain states, so... Stems to say it could happen with animal ownership too.

At the very least, hunters should be allowed to shoot feral cats, but the feel-good hippies identify more with their murderous, blood-thirsty felines than the local songbirds.

Oh yeah, it's only the hippies and their free love n stuff that ever chuck their cats outside. :roll: Never a hardnosed conservative, liberal, or libertarian... they NEVER do irresponsible things like that! As long as humans exist, there will always be a measure of thoughtlessness in our actions. Some just happen to impact things harder than others with their thoughtlessness.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
SkeptiBee":kn10agtz said:
EmpNortonII":kn10agtz said:
At the very least, hunters should be allowed to shoot feral cats, but the feel-good hippies identify more with their murderous, blood-thirsty felines than the local songbirds.

Oh yeah, it's only the hippies and their free love n stuff that ever chuck their cats outside. :roll: Never a hardnosed conservative, liberal, or libertarian... they NEVER do irresponsible things like that! As long as humans exist, there will always be a measure of thoughtlessness in our actions. Some just happen to impact things harder than others with their thoughtlessness.

Why should feral cats be punished for the people who release them? Why should any animal, for that matter, be punished for the stupidity of people. And I agree, it is not just hippies, it is everyone in general. My town is a very conservative town and yet we have a bad feral cat problem and not a hippie in sight....hmm... And calling them murderous and blood-thirsty for doing what they were bred for is over the top. Cats and dogs were not originally intended to be pets, they were wild creatures. It's a circle of life. Plus, how can you tell a feral from a house cat? A guy down the street shot any and every cat that entered his yard that didn't have a collar, including his neighbor's cat. You can't collar felines, they can get caught and choke and die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom