A few questions about my baby bearded dragon

Hbdarla

Beardie name(s)
Geode
hi there! This forum is awesome. I have a few questions about my new little friend. He is 8 weeks old and in a 20 gallon temporarily while he grows and will be upgrading to a 4x2. First is how much should I be dusting his food with calcium? I have heard to do 5 days of calcium with d3 then 2 days of multivitamin. Is this correct? I am using a 12% Arcadia uvb tube about 8 inches from the basking spot over screen top. Should I be dusting every feeding or just once a day? My next question is about temperature. How warm should I be keeping him? Right now the basking area is about 105 to 110 at the hottest spot. I have a 75 watt basking bulb plugged into a dimmer and thermostat. The dimmer kind of rings is that okay? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 97

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
hi there! This forum is awesome. I have a few questions about my new little friend. He is 8 weeks old and in a 20 gallon temporarily while he grows and will be upgrading to a 4x2. First is how much should I be dusting his food with calcium? I have heard to do 5 days of calcium with d3 then 2 days of multivitamin. Is this correct? I am using a 12% Arcadia uvb tube about 8 inches from the basking spot over screen top. Should I be dusting every feeding or just once a day? My next question is about temperature. How warm should I be keeping him? Right now the basking area is about 105 to 110 at the hottest spot. I have a 75 watt basking bulb plugged into a dimmer and thermostat. The dimmer kind of rings is that okay? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!!!
You are on the right track --- how are you getting the surface basking temps? You need to get them w/ a digital probe thermometer and the 105-110 is correct for a baby - - the screen on the tank is a fine mesh? or a wide hole type- the screen will block 30% of the rays so w/ the 12% bulb it may be ok where its at -- I see he is right up under it in the pic - the supplements your giving are good but you only what to dust ONCE per feeding w/ the cal d3 and the vitamins - and lightly coat the insects - I am going to have another check w / the UVB placement w/ the screen issue
@CooperDragon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your UVB Light is a very good one It's probably a little close at 8'', but the way you have it set up there is a lot of space to move away from it so I think I'd just leave it as it is. When you have a larger enclosure and mount it inside, set it at about 12'' above the main basking area for best results.

As far as temps go, I agree that the basking spot is in the right range, maybe a little high but just observe and see if he avoids the hottest area or basks right under it. You can always do some fine tuning to accommodate their preferences. I'd move the cool side probe down onto the floor to get the temp there rather than on the side. What does the cool side read? You'll want that to be closer to your room temp - maybe mid 70s or so.

The buzzing sound from the basking light happens with some bulbs when they are dimmed. Not necessarily an issue but it can be annoying. You can try some different lights (halogen and incandescent flood lights tend to handle dimming the best), or you could try hanging the basking light from an adjustable stand so you can raise/lower it easily which should allow you to change the temp and minimize the dimming that is needed.

Hbdarla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Geode
Your UVB Light is a very good one It's probably a little close at 8'', but the way you have it set up there is a lot of space to move away from it so I think I'd just leave it as it is. When you have a larger enclosure and mount it inside, set it at about 12'' above the main basking area for best results.

As far as temps go, I agree that the basking spot is in the right range, maybe a little high but just observe and see if he avoids the hottest area or basks right under it. You can always do some fine tuning to accommodate their preferences. I'd move the cool side probe down onto the floor to get the temp there rather than on the side. What does the cool side read? You'll want that to be closer to your room temp - maybe mid 70s or so.

The buzzing sound from the basking light happens with some bulbs when they are dimmed. Not necessarily an issue but it can be annoying. You can try some different lights (halogen and incandescent flood lights tend to handle dimming the best), or you could try hanging the basking light from an adjustable stand so you can raise/lower it easily which should allow you to change the temp and minimize the dimming that is needed.
Hey! Thank you for the reply! I will definitely mount the uvb inside when he gets his 4x2. I will move the probe to the floor as well. Cool side has been a bit higher lately because it’s so hot where I live right now and I don’t have AC:( thank you so much for your help! I will also look into a different basking light!

Hbdarla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Geode
You are on the right track --- how are you getting the surface basking temps? You need to get them w/ a digital probe thermometer and the 105-110 is correct for a baby - - the screen on the tank is a fine mesh? or a wide hole type- the screen will block 30% of the rays so w/ the 12% bulb it may be ok where its at -- I see he is right up under it in the pic - the supplements your giving are good but you only what to dust ONCE per feeding w/ the cal d3 and the vitamins - and lightly coat the insects - I am going to have another check w / the UVB placement w/ the screen issue
@CooperDragon
Hi there! I’m getting my tempts with a digital thermometer with a prob and a temperature gun. The type of mesh lid is wide type mesh. On the Arcadia website it says if I have the uvb over mesh it should be 8-10 inches away from the basking spot. It’s about 8 inches away from the main basking spot. Thank you for your help!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The digital thermometers & temp gun combination should be just fine to make sure the temperatures
are accurate for him.
The 8 inch distance for the Arcadia D3 12% is good. The mesh screen has wider holes then? As
Karrie suggested, a bright white light for basking light will help tremendously for him.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Hbdarla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Geode
Hello,

The digital thermometers & temp gun combination should be just fine to make sure the temperatures
are accurate for him.
The 8 inch distance for the Arcadia D3 12% is good. The mesh screen has wider holes then? As
Karrie suggested, a bright white light for basking light will help tremendously for him.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Hi! Yes the mesh has wide holes. His basking light is a 75 watt repti basking spot light right now it’s plugged into a dimmer and a thermostat. Do you have any suggestions for a dimmable basking light maybe 50-75 watts? He is doing great! Eating a lot about 10-15 Roaches per feeding and he already loves his veggies. He is also pooping about twice a day and is active and exploring his inclosure.
Thank you for your help!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi! Yes the mesh has wide holes. His basking light is a 75 watt repti basking spot light right now it’s plugged into a dimmer and a thermostat. Do you have any suggestions for a dimmable basking light maybe 50-75 watts? He is doing great! Eating a lot about 10-15 Roaches per feeding and he already loves his veggies. He is also pooping about twice a day and is active and exploring his inclosure.
Thank you for your help!!!
i dont have any suggestions for dimmable but @CooperDragon might-- so the UVB is good on top of the wide hole mesh 8-10 inches please --- we want him to adjust to the tank and his surroundings and his temps and UVB are going to help him do that --- and keep eating

Hbdarla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Geode
i dont have any suggestions for dimmable but @CooperDragon might-- so the UVB is good on top of the wide hole mesh 8-10 inches please --- we want him to adjust to the tank and his surroundings and his temps and UVB are going to help him do that --- and keep eating
Thank you very much! I have been doing a lot of reading about supplementation and I am getting so many different opinions. I think I’m gonna try to do 4 days of calcium without d3 then 1 day of calcium with d3 then 2 days of multi vitamins. Do you think that will be good or should I do more d3? Iv heard that too much d3 is bad especially when I have the 12% uvb.
Again thank you so much for your help I just want to do him right. Iv done a lot of research before I got him I just feel like with the supplements I get a different answer every time lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you very much! I have been doing a lot of reading about supplementation and I am getting so many different opinions. I think I’m gonna try to do 4 days of calcium without d3 then 1 day of calcium with d3 then 2 days of multi vitamins. Do you think that will be good or should I do more d3? Iv heard that too much d3 is bad especially when I have the 12% uvb.
Again thank you so much for your help I just want to do him right. Iv done a lot of research before I got him I just feel like with the supplements I get a different answer every time lol.
For babies 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 lighting coated on the insect ONCE per day / feeding -- beta carotene 2 x per week lightly coatedon the insect ONCE per feeding - this will change when he / she turns a year old - and w/ the UVB bulb being used --

Hbdarla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Geode
For babies 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 lighting coated on the insect ONCE per day / feeding -- beta carotene 2 x per week lightly coatedon the insect ONCE per feeding - this will change when he / she turns a year old - and w/ the UVB bulb being used --
Okay thank you! are you sure I need to do d3 5 days? I was under the impression that’s they can overdose on d3. Maybe 3 out of 5 days?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay thank you! are you sure I need to do d3 5 days? I was under the impression that’s they can overdose on d3. Maybe 3 out of 5 days?
It is recommended 5 days then 2 days for vitamins - when they get to be a year old that will change-- the calcium will change to regular calcium around a year old - at this time they are growing and need the d3 for growth- you only need to dust one time per feeding - and it should be lightly - your UVB is going to help them absorb and synthesize the calcium they are getting-

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom