A Few Concerns about 7 mo foster beardie from new owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sptmbrsuns

Hi!

I was hoping that I could get some guidance and reassurance on how I could efficiently care for the bearded dragon that I am currently fostering. I’m worried that due to my own inexperience with reptiles that I may not have the best knowledge or intuition on how to take care of her. However, this doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t like to learn! I definitely want to provide a good home for her until it's time for her to move to another one. I’ve already tried doing some research on my own by using a few websites/blogs like ReptileAdvisor to get a better sense of how to care for a bearded dragon for the time being. I’ve also made a couple of purchases through Amazon recently, which I will list below, in hopes of getting my bearded dragon “rehabilitated” as soon as I can. I’d really appreciate some help and encouragement because I want to do the best that I can to love and care for this beautiful animal.

Just to give some background, my bearded dragon’s name is Izzie and she is about 7 mo. old. She originally belonged to my teenage foster relative who could no longer keep her due to him being placed in another home. I only took her in because he didn’t want to give her away to someone that he didn’t know. I didn’t want to shut him down while he was in such a vulnerable situation. He bought Izzie from Petco back in late January with I’m assuming a 20 gallon (?) tank kit that initially had two basking lights (?). Though for some reason, when I was given Izzie and her tank, there was only one basking light present (which I now know is a problematic issue.) He fed her mealworms for the most part but I’m not sure how often. I’m also not sure of how often he cleaned her tank either so I try my best to clean it consistently.

At the time when I took her in, I assumed that such a tank set up and diet was proper enough to keep her healthy and well due to my lack of knowledge. However, over the past couple weeks, after doing my best to track her behavior and eating habits in addition to doing some in depth research, I think I need to make some informed changes.

In regards to her behavior and eating habits, Izzie is pretty relaxed at times but I have noticed her become more sluggish or lethargic lately. It’s almost to the point that she will lay on the floor of her tank near her basking light as if to nap before climbing up onto her rock to bask and nap again. She is occasionally alert and active, though. Especially during feeding times, baths, and when the TV’s on. She is very responsive to movement outside of her tank and touch when I hold her.

I’ve tried alternating between giving her mealworms and gut loaded crickets but lately I’ve noticed that she no longer properly digests her mealworms. They kind of come out the way they went in, practically whole. Her bowel movements are much looser and smellier. I also noticed about three days ago that one of her poops looked slightly abnormal to what she usually takes which led me to grow concerned. She still does have an appetite though and drinks plenty of water during her baths, which I try to give her every other day. At the same time, however, I think she may be underweight because her small size differs from that of the size comparisons that I’ve seen on informative websites and blogs.

I’ve tried my best not to overwhelm myself with guilt or panic because the last thing Izzie needs is an owner that doesn’t have a clear head. So I’ve been doing what I can to channel my concern into buying supplies and tools to upgrade her living situation and diet.

Based of a few articles I read (specifically these on ReptileAdvisor - https://www.reptileadvisor.com/bearded-dragon-lighting/ https://www.reptileadvisor.com/bearded-dragon-diet/ ) on how to properly light and heat a bearded dragons tank, I have bought these recommended items from Amazon:

- Sunblaster 904296 NanoTech T5 High Output Fixture Reflector Combo, 2-Feet (which arrived yesterday evening)
- Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 T5-Ho Uvb Fluorescent Lamp - 24 w - 22" (arriving the 25th or 26th of August)
- Fluker's Ceramic Heat Emitter for Reptiles (coming in either today or tomorrow)
- Zilla Premium Reflector Domes 8.5 Inches (coming either today or tomorrow)
- VIVOSUN Upgrade Reptile Heat Mat and Digital Thermostat Combo (arriving today hopefully) [/list][/list]

I also bought some Fluker's Calcium Reptile Supplement with added Vitamin D3 and received it this evening but have yet to use it.

I plan to get Izzie tank set up as soon as I receive the rest of my packages so hopefully I will have enough time between now and then to get everything together. I also plan to get her checked by a vet as soon as I am able to get an appointment. I’ve heard about a fecal test that she can take which would definitely lessen my worries.

A few questions that I have though:
What are the best ways to help Izzie overcome her bouts of boredom?
What are the best tank cleaning products to use?
How can I socialize with her better?
Any tips for bettering her diet?

Overall, I’m hoping that what I am doing is enough to get her back on track to being more healthy and energetic. I’m willing to take on any advice, questions, or criticism, if it means keeping her happy and well.

Many thanks in advance!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok glad you did your research and the set up shown on the website you visited is good --but were going to do a few tweeks --- have you upgraded the tank yet? She needs to come out of the 20 gallon ASAP- a full size dragon needs no smaller than a 40 and it is not recommended to keep them in those for too long - the best size tank for a dragon is 75-120 gallon w/ floor space not height - you can look on FB Marketplace or Craigslist - make sure you sanitize it real good before use if you find one look for one w/ front doors --- sanitize w/ some F10 found on Walmart.com or Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipeout - cleaning daily w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 --- we need to get the UVB placed correctly - you dont need 2 UVB's one is good the either one you choose to use is good but you only need one -- please use the 5.0 bulb for the 20 gallon place it width wise on the tank on one end place a piece of basking decor directly underneath it 6-8 inches --- NO screen if you haft to butt the screen up to it next to the fixture and put the basking bulb next to it --- you want basking temps 95-100 for her taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- NO stick ons they are inaccurate - the heat emitter do not use it unless the tank is falling below 65 at nite -- dragons like cool and dark to sleep at nite nothing under 65 or over 75 those temps can be taken w/ a stick on they give ambient temps --
The UVB and the basking temps are the two most important things in the tank ----
the undigested food tells me the basking temps are not high enough -- please adjust accordingly - take the probe place it where she sits to bask wait 10 min get the temp -- 95-100
Please NO more meal worms - she will become impacted if shes not getting them digested - feed her crickets or dubia roaches or silk worms --- those are staple insects feed every day for her age - I would feed her twice a day if shes looking under weight -- please start feeding salads every day
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
dust the insects ONCE per day 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 -- vitamins w/ beta carotene ONCE per feeding 2 x per week
get her some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com order large use them as lures to the salad bowl DO NOT DUST they are calcium enriched --- you will need a bowl like this or similar to
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Feed salads first thing in the morning w/ the BSFL on top add them in front of her they will get her to the bowl then feed her main staple insect after about a hr - you can feed as many BSFL as you want --- they are another staple feeder ---
DO NOT feed any insect bigger than the space between her eyes length wise
you can get dubia roaches from here they are a better staple feeder and easier to keep I would set up a 10 gallon aquarium order around 200 roaches for her I am thinking about a size of 5/8- 3/4 roach but make sure you look at her and the roach first -- I dont know how big she is so make sure you check size of her head ---- www.dubiaroaches.com feed them at nite dubia food w/ water crystals for hydration - you want them good and gut loaded before feeding in the morning -- for now you can feed crickets -- till you get the roaches -- its better to order on line pet stores are undependable and expensive -- please get the UVB set up correctly -- she is probably developing MBD w/ lack of UVB and she cannot digest her calcium she needs for her bones and development -- if you need more help please ask - when you upgrade the tank the 5.0 bulb is going to need to be upgraded to a 10.0 bulb and distance is going to change as well -- make sure the basking bulb is a bright white bulb no off white or yellowish bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom